PDA

View Full Version : GU8 2012 wagon Steering Damper question

Maxhead
10th February 2015, 07:47 AM
Hello Guru's,

I ordered a Tough Dog adjustable steering damper for me truck but seems to be different to the eye to eye configuration currently on the vehicle.

The one that arrived has a pin configuration so I'm not sure it will fit and don't want to open it. The part number matches the model on their website( SV5617)

Has anyone fitted one of these before? Looks like it will fit but with a pin setup.

Here's some pics on whats arrived
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54925&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54926&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54927&stc=1

Clunk
10th February 2015, 09:46 AM
Take the one off your car and compare it

Maxhead
10th February 2015, 10:13 AM
Take the one off your car and compare it

As said above they look different but could possibly fit but didnt want to open it just in case i have to return it.

This is the original one

.....on the move

Clunk
10th February 2015, 10:33 AM
I reckon it's right mate, large pin that hasn't been fitted will go through that larger eye.....

Damn those things are so much more substantial than the original

Rossco
10th February 2015, 10:33 AM
What's wrong with your old one? ?

Maxhead
10th February 2015, 10:37 AM
I reckon it's right mate, large pin that hasn't been fitted will go through that larger eye.....

Damn those things are so much more substantial than the original

Yeah, i think you're right and it would fit but might wait to see if anyone has done or seen one just to be 110 % sure...LOL( yeah, i know I should just rip it open and chuck it in!!..LOL)

What's wrong with your old one? ?

Nothing mate, just thought I would upgrade...hahahahahha

Clunk
10th February 2015, 11:09 AM
Yeah, i think you're right and it would fit but might wait to see if anyone has done or seen one just to be 110 % sure...LOL( yeah, i know I should just rip it open and chuck it in!!..LOL)

Nothing mate, just thought I would upgrade...hahahahahha

No I agree with you, I wouldn't trust me either hahahahaha

Maxhead
10th February 2015, 11:12 AM
No I agree with you, I wouldn't trust me either hahahahaha

Was i that obvious :harhar:

Clunk
10th February 2015, 11:20 AM
Was i that obvious :harhar:

As subtle as a brick in the head mate

Clunk
10th February 2015, 07:58 PM
so have you done it yet nobhead?

Maxhead
10th February 2015, 08:28 PM
so have you done it yet nobhead?

The coldies were tasting too good so postponed till the morning...lol Having done a bit more research it should fit OK thiugh

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 09:49 AM
Ok, I got it on and it fits but I have now an offset steering wheel :)

Any idea what is causing that?? Is there a trick to fitting these dampers? The steering wheel is about an 1/8 of center

Geez, I hate cars...LOL

outback
11th February 2015, 11:49 AM
Not sure about a fix, but if the wheel alignment is still ok, you could use an adjustable drag link to fix up the off set steering wheel.

Sir Roofy
11th February 2015, 11:58 AM
YOU WROTE ITS ADJUSTABLE ??? might be a thread out either way

mudski
11th February 2015, 12:01 PM
Ok, I got it on and it fits but I have now an offset steering wheel :)

Any idea what is causing that?? Is there a trick to fitting these dampers? The steering wheel is about an 1/8 of center

Geez, I hate cars...LOL

Is the damper bracket on the drag link clamped on or is it welded to the drag link?

the evil twin
11th February 2015, 12:03 PM
How can a steering damper change the steering geometry if it isn't an RTC?

That would be like changing the shocks and getting a 1 inch lift wouldn't it?

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 12:13 PM
YOU WROTE ITS ADJUSTABLE ??? might be a thread out either way

Yeah adjustable and the adjustment is a knob on one side of the dampner

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54956&stc=1

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 12:14 PM
Is the damper bracket on the drag link clamped on or is it welded to the drag link?

Welded mate..

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 12:15 PM
How can a steering damper change the steering geometry if it isn't an RTC?

That would be like changing the shocks and getting a 1 inch lift wouldn't it?

Good question, If I take it off its fine

the evil twin
11th February 2015, 12:32 PM
Good question, If I take it off its fine

Have you tried going around RH corners as well as LH ones? :p

Hope you get it sorted soon, a new Damper is next on my To Do list :driving2:

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 12:56 PM
Have you tried going around RH corners as well as LH ones? :p

Hope you get it sorted soon, a new Damper is next on my To Do list :driving2:

Yeah done that, Tried on minimum adjustment and it seems a little better but I have another issue which is bugging me so I'll post in seperate thread

Sir Roofy
11th February 2015, 01:39 PM
yeah adjustable and the adjustment is a knob on one side of the dampner

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54956&stc=1

so if you go 1or2 clicks wont it adjust the angle of the dangle

Clunk
11th February 2015, 03:04 PM
You haven't by any chance bent up any of the other components, considering how mangled your damper was?

the evil twin
11th February 2015, 03:14 PM
so if you go 1or2 clicks wont it adjust the angle of the dangle

I think that will only adjust the dwell of the gel.

Clunk
11th February 2015, 03:17 PM
I think that will only adjust the dwell of the gel.

^^^^^^^^ what he said

BigRAWesty
11th February 2015, 04:04 PM
So you've either rotated the drag link to fit the new dampener, or you have some loose joints in the setup.

Adjusting the dampener will only affect the steering feel, not position.

Maxhead
12th February 2015, 10:49 AM
Ok, just noticed the panhard rod is bent but the draglink is fine so that would explain the damper not sitting right but not why the steering is a fraction out

Punderhead
12th February 2015, 06:16 PM
Ok, just noticed the panhard rod is bent but the draglink is fine so that would explain the damper not sitting right but not why the steering is a fraction out

I believe that with the panhard rod being bent, it changes the location of the diff in relation to the body, as such the steering linkages will have changed position/angle and that is why your steering wheel is wrong.

But as always I could be wrong.

Cheers

lhurley
12th February 2015, 06:20 PM
^^^^ what punderhead said is correct. If you bent your panhard rod, check the bushes on it. It's terrifying driving when your panhard bush flogs out.

the evil twin
12th February 2015, 06:33 PM
Totally agree about the Panhard comments ... however none of which explains why his steering is different when he changes the Damper unless Kallen is correct and the steering geometry is different between new and old mounts.

The bent panhard should hold 1/8th of a steering wheel offset with the old, new or even no damper at all.

megatexture
12th February 2015, 06:56 PM
My money's on that it was like that from the start but you just now noticed it lol

Maxhead
12th February 2015, 07:20 PM
My money's on that it was like that from the start but you just now noticed it lol

Possibly but the strange thing is that if I take the damper off its much better then when its on. Anyways a new tough dog panhard rod ordered and will go on next week.

the evil twin
12th February 2015, 09:34 PM
Possibly but the strange thing is that if I take the damper off its much better then when its on. Anyways a new tough dog panhard rod ordered and will go on next week.

Adjustable or fixed?

If you adjust the front you'll need to adjust the back or your trucks eyes won't be looking where it's feet are going

katwoman
12th February 2015, 10:33 PM
Have you tried fitting it horizontally ?

Clunk
12th February 2015, 10:46 PM
So just another question to throw in the mix....... Can't remember if you fitted a 2in lift or not but if you did, did you not find that the steering wheel went a bit off centre?

Maxhead
13th February 2015, 05:37 AM
Adjustable or fixed? If you adjust the front you'll need to adjust the back or your trucks eyes won't be looking where it's feet are going
Adjustable but i wont need to adjust it as its only 2" lift so want to leave it standard

.....on the move

Maxhead
13th February 2015, 05:39 AM
Have you tried fitting it horizontally ?
Yeah!....ummmm yeah, i think so..lol

.....on the move

Maxhead
13th February 2015, 05:42 AM
So just another question to throw in the mix....... Can't remember if you fitted a 2in lift or not but if you did, did you not find that the steering wheel went a bit off centre?

Its had the 2" since new and has always been fine so im guessing the panhard is the cause. Will replace next week and go from there

.....on the move

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 07:22 AM
Does anyone know the correct torque setting for the panhard rod nuts??

...or do I just do em up thight...LOL

growler2058
21st February 2015, 07:50 AM
Do em up tight

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 07:54 AM
Do em up tight

Thought you might say that....LOL
I'm downloading the manual to check the settings so I might actually do it right...

growler2058
21st February 2015, 08:08 AM
As long as the weight is on it. Don't do it up tight if its on stands

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 08:21 AM
torque settings are :

Nm (kg-m, ft-lb)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55267&stc=1

growler2058
21st February 2015, 08:30 AM
Told ya. TIGHT

Clunk
21st February 2015, 09:26 AM
Told ya. TIGHT

Wouldn't let it worry you, he wouldn't believe me either, can't think why

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 09:44 AM
Hmmmm, just a bit bent, ey!!! Lol

.....on the move

Clunk
21st February 2015, 10:32 AM
Hmmmm, just a bit bent, ey!!! Lol

.....on the move

yeah can't think why your steering wheel may have been a little off center with an insy winsy teeny weeny little bend like that.

so have you also got the required brackets too?

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 10:39 AM
yeah can't think why your steering wheel may have been a little off center with an insy winsy teeny weeny little bend like that.

so have you also got the required brackets too?

Yep got all brackets required for the job and is now all done

Maxhead
21st February 2015, 10:48 AM
OK just make sure I got this right!!LOL

1-Remove the factory panhard
2- Fit new adjustable panhard loosely
3- By using a spiritlevel or piece of flat steel, place it against the outside of the tyre and measure distance to the chassis for right and left side
4- Subtract one measurement from the other and divide by 2, this gives approximate amount to wind the panhardrod in or out
5- Repeat step 4 until within 5mm tolerance.
6- Tighten all nuts to correct torque settings
7- Make sure wheels are straight ahead, find the centre of the steering damperand fit dampner bracket in this position and fit dampner

Anyway I ended up with 1mm diference between right and left but I'm a bit worried about having the same track front and rear.

How would I check that?? the chasis tapers in in the middle of the vehicle so the distance of tyre to chasis is different front to back.

BTW, the steering is now half steering wheel out:(

mudski
21st February 2015, 11:02 PM
When I did my Panhards. I removed the old ones and gave the car a good shake left to right to settle the suspension then fitted rods and just adjusted so the wheels were evenly spaced on either side.
As for your steering wheel, if you have an adjustable drag link you can fix the wheel issue with that.

Maxhead
22nd February 2015, 06:46 AM
When I did my Panhards. I removed the old ones and gave the car a good shake left to right to settle the suspension then fitted rods and just adjusted so the wheels were evenly spaced on either side.
As for your steering wheel, if you have an adjustable drag link you can fix the wheel issue with that.

Yeah, new draglink and new tie rod is on the way, then a good alignment