PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner ambient sensor location

deekay
9th February 2015, 06:13 PM
I have a 2005 model GU4 Zd30 patrol with an intermittent air con problem. When it is extremely hot the air con starts pulsing. The air con relay starts to pulse causing the clutch on the compressor & the thernmo fan to pulse in & out. This only happens when it is extremely hot. I think it could be the ambient temp sensor. I have looked in the manuals for the location & they show the sensor on the right hand side in front of the radiator on a GU1/3, no picture or location for GU4 onwards & it is not there. I have looked at a few GU4's & none seam to have the sensor. I am stuffed if I know. I am thinking of wiring another relay to switch an earth to the air con relay to stop the pulsing & cut out all of the sensor rubbish. Go back to how they used to be wired.

the evil twin
9th February 2015, 06:31 PM
Assuming the engine temps are OK it sounds more likely to be a gas issue to me.
Have you had gauges (Aircon Service) on it to check it doesn't need replenishment?

deekay
9th February 2015, 06:40 PM
Assuming the engine temps are OK it sounds more likely to be a gas issue to me.
Have you had gauges (Aircon Service) on it to check it doesn't need replenishment?
Had it serviced & regased before the fault started then had the gas checked again.all seems ok.

mudski
10th February 2015, 07:47 PM
Check the cooling fins on the condenser. They sound like they are little clogged up. Get in there with a hose and give it a good spray. Mine was blocked with dirt and the a/c went ape everytime I used it. Cleaned it and all good.

deekay
10th February 2015, 09:36 PM
Check the cooling fins on the condenser. They sound like they are little clogged up. Get in there with a hose and give it a good spray. Mine was blocked with dirt and the a/c went ape everytime I used it. Cleaned it and all good.
I will get into it with the hose tomorrow & see what comes out.

Yendor
26th February 2015, 08:55 PM
It will only have an ambient temp sensor if the vehicle has auto climate control. The manual A/C system don't use an ambient temp sensor.

If this problem only started after the system was re-gassed. They possibly have put to much gas in and the pressures are going high, causing the pressure switch to cut in and out.