PDA

View Full Version : Beginning the modifications for my Patrol (Tb45E)

Lyra
6th February 2015, 12:25 AM
(If this is the wrong location, Please Move it, But this Section seemed more relevant seens as the majority of the content in this post is engine related)

A lot of people say that the TB45E wich is what i believe mine posesses is slow, Sluggish and a waste of an engine, I see it all over other forums, That it should be instantly replaced, "It consumes too much, It's sluggish" Honestly...

Before i had this 98 Ti 4500, I drove a 92 Toyota corrolla with a 1.4 litre engine, That thing dragged it's ass, That thing you could floor it and still be a snail, To me? I put my foot down in my Patrol, It makes a lot of Noise and i take off really fast, Atleast early in the morning i do, I have noticed that in the later afternoons it actually gets sluggish.

Currently i have quite a few modifications i'd like to make, I currently possess a nudge bar (and living semi rural, I get alot of Kangaroo's here, That probably wont help me, But it does keep my HID spotties on tight) So i'm hunting down a Bullbar for the (Y61 GU)) series i think it is.

Coupled with i want to add more oomph to my engine, But i think i may go with the smaller things first, Since the engine gets sluggish when warm even when at the halfway mark (Doesn't go much beyond that) (On cold rainy days like we recently had in WA, It seems to power through it as if it were morning) I think adding a second radiator will probably help a lot, Any suggestions?

Given the engine has 210k's on the clock and doesn't skip so much of a beat, This thing is in really good condition, I thought Perhaps Extractors and a larger exhaust should give it a little extra grunt to overtake when dragging something behind me like a boat or a caravan, But i still don't know where to look or if i can fit it myself, Far as i know the lift kits are just a suspension modification, Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

In the future i am thinking Either a supercharger or a turbo, Though i am looking more toward the charger for the added low rpm torque over a turbo, I know people have fitted them to this engine before, And that it has weak rods so not to go above 5-10 PSI (15 being the breaking point). I am still doing Research on this one but for the time being i'll be doing small things first, But in case anyone is wondering here is something neato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWYn5KqZZY (Not mine obviously)

The next thing i would like to ad to my Patrol is a lift kit, I'm still using 31inch tyres and i have done some off roading, Beach driving, Salt lake exploring and the like and i want more (So bigger tyres to come)I think a 2inch will do nicely, As my fathers 2006Gu only uses a 2inch + 35's and hasn't got much of an issue.

Things to keep note.
This is the luxury edition (I lucked out when i bought mine used), So I've got ABS, CC, Electronic aircon controls, Rear aircon, Electric seats, Etc. So somethings may be a bit of a pain to move, I hear i need to move the ABS control unit in order to put a second battery in.

Things i've already done to my Patrol
Rerversing camera
Double Din Stereo
HID spotties
rear floodlights (Hooked into reverse so i can reverse at night)
Upgraded the Standard driving lights to Xenons, (That was a long day..)
2way Radio

Things i'd like to do (TL;DR version)
Enhance Engine performance and maybe KM/Litre, Because i swear this thing can eat through a wallet in fuel in a day, It costs me 110ish (now that prices are down) per week for just getting to work and back. (It's quite a trip, About 55k's there, 55k's back, Mostly highway driving however depending on what way i choose.

Second battery kit
Lift kit
Bullbar
LED light bars
Proper sound setup to go with my New stereo.

I would also like to replace the dashboard instruments with something a little more modern but i have no idea how to go about that.

One last thing, Do i happen to have an OBD-II port? As a programmer who likes all sorts of tinkering, I can probably get a heap of information off that and use a small heads up display.

Look forward to hearing thoughts!

rusty_nail
6th February 2015, 08:03 AM
(If this is the wrong location, Please Move it, But this Section seemed more relevant seens as the majority of the content in this post is engine related)

A lot of people say that the TB45E wich is what i believe mine posesses is slow, Sluggish and a waste of an engine, I see it all over other forums, That it should be instantly replaced, "It consumes too much, It's sluggish" Honestly...

Before i had this 98 Ti 4500, I drove a 92 Toyota corrolla with a 1.4 litre engine, That thing dragged it's ass, That thing you could floor it and still be a snail, To me? I put my foot down in my Patrol, It makes a lot of Noise and i take off really fast, Atleast early in the morning i do, I have noticed that in the later afternoons it actually gets sluggish.

Currently i have quite a few modifications i'd like to make, I currently possess a nudge bar (and living semi rural, I get alot of Kangaroo's here, That probably wont help me, But it does keep my HID spotties on tight) So i'm hunting down a Bullbar for the (Y61 GU)) series i think it is.

Coupled with i want to add more oomph to my engine, But i think i may go with the smaller things first, Since the engine gets sluggish when warm even when at the halfway mark (Doesn't go much beyond that) (On cold rainy days like we recently had in WA, It seems to power through it as if it were morning) I think adding a second radiator will probably help a lot, Any suggestions?

Given the engine has 210k's on the clock and doesn't skip so much of a beat, This thing is in really good condition, I thought Perhaps Extractors and a larger exhaust should give it a little extra grunt to overtake when dragging something behind me like a boat or a caravan, But i still don't know where to look or if i can fit it myself, Far as i know the lift kits are just a suspension modification, Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

In the future i am thinking Either a supercharger or a turbo, Though i am looking more toward the charger for the added low rpm torque over a turbo, I know people have fitted them to this engine before, And that it has weak rods so not to go above 5-10 PSI (15 being the breaking point). I am still doing Research on this one but for the time being i'll be doing small things first, But in case anyone is wondering here is something neato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvWYn5KqZZY (Not mine obviously)

The next thing i would like to ad to my Patrol is a lift kit, I'm still using 31inch tyres and i have done some off roading, Beach driving, Salt lake exploring and the like and i want more (So bigger tyres to come)I think a 2inch will do nicely, As my fathers 2006Gu only uses a 2inch + 35's and hasn't got much of an issue.

Things to keep note.
This is the luxury edition (I lucked out when i bought mine used), So I've got ABS, CC, Electronic aircon controls, Rear aircon, Electric seats, Etc. So somethings may be a bit of a pain to move, I hear i need to move the ABS control unit in order to put a second battery in.

Things i've already done to my Patrol
Rerversing camera
Double Din Stereo
HID spotties
rear floodlights (Hooked into reverse so i can reverse at night)
Upgraded the Standard driving lights to Xenons, (That was a long day..)
2way Radio

Things i'd like to do (TL;DR version)
Enhance Engine performance and maybe KM/Litre, Because i swear this thing can eat through a wallet in fuel in a day, It costs me 110ish (now that prices are down) per week for just getting to work and back. (It's quite a trip, About 55k's there, 55k's back, Mostly highway driving however depending on what way i choose.

Second battery kit
Lift kit
Bullbar
LED light bars
Proper sound setup to go with my New stereo.

I would also like to replace the dashboard instruments with something a little more modern but i have no idea how to go about that.

One last thing, Do i happen to have an OBD-II port? As a programmer who likes all sorts of tinkering, I can probably get a heap of information off that and use a small heads up display.

Look forward to hearing thoughts!

Hi mate, great first write up but :useless:

if you have any questions about things like changing radiators or advice on other mods, look out for Bigwesty or Threedogs, they have an answer to most things =D

Bob
6th February 2015, 08:18 AM
OBD Port is above your Brake Pedal (bottom 0f Dash)
Welcome to the Forum

jff45
6th February 2015, 08:50 AM
The TB45E is often referred to as sluggish and for good reason. What isn't often pointed out is that it is the best performing engine of that particular era.
Assuming it's correctly adjusted & maintained, it will run rings around any 2.8 or 4.2 of the same age. They run a lot better on 98 octane but people tend to go for the cheaper 91 petrol because of consumption.
With extractors and a decent exhaust they can get to 100 rwkw. Most other even recent models (excluding 4.8) struggle to get there even after spending good coin..

Even mild forced induction makes them go a lot better but it's probably not a real good idea to want to chase power + economy at the same time with such an old tech engine..

If you think it's sluggish now, wait till you get the 2" lift and 35" tyres on it.. :)

Bob
6th February 2015, 08:56 AM
About 18 months ago I had the Inlet Ports in the Head enlarged which made a tremendous difference to the Power whilst towing.
Will be putting in Extractors and a decent exhaust soon which will make the old girl breath a lot better

Lyra
13th February 2015, 07:43 PM
Taking an awfully long time for a moderator to approve my posts (They had links to my imgur account with pictures of my patrol)

Also offtopic, How easy is it to damage the steering control systems, As a while back, a truck backed into my car (company got it fixed) And my wheels were out of alignment (7mils) But it still pulls to the left, Suggestions? Just tyre wear?