PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms

JME_GU
5th February 2015, 01:53 PM
I've got a 1998 GU and am fitting a 2 inch lift, I was looking at getting a set of heavy duty lower control arms for the rear. The seem to come in standard length, +11mm or +16mm. Should I just go with standard or am I better off with longer?

BigRAWesty
5th February 2015, 02:02 PM
I've got a 1998 GU and am fitting a 2 inch lift, I was looking at getting a set of heavy duty lower control arms for the rear. The seem to come in standard length, +11mm or +16mm. Should I just go with standard or am I better off with longer?

Depends on what lift you have.
The +11 is good for a 3" lift.
But it's a good upgrade.

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2015, 02:34 PM
Standard Length for sure. I have standard length HD Superiors 4140 lower arms on the GUIV with a 3" lift and also Standard length of the GQ with a 5" lift.

Bloodyaussie
5th February 2015, 02:36 PM
Well which is it I am confused?????

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2015, 02:43 PM
Standard Length for me. If you go longer then you will find that your tyres will fowl the back of teh wheel arch on full compression. When the suspension is working on a standard length your arc of wheel travel is still factory.

Part of the concept for extending the lower arms is to adjust your rear pinion angle for a bigger lift. up to a 3" lift it should be within factory tolerance anyway and i would not consider a change. above that for lift then consider a standard lower length and adjustable upper arms to make the pinion adjustment.

Drewboyaus
5th February 2015, 03:01 PM
I have a set of heavy duty lower arms (not mounted yet) that are standard length.
My GQ is lifted 2.5 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bloodyaussie
5th February 2015, 03:32 PM
I am on a 4 inch lift with +11mm and the wheels on the back do not scrub with my quarter chop but only just...

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2015, 04:24 PM
I am on a 4 inch lift with +11mm and the wheels on the back do not scrub with my quarter chop but only just...

yes one of the reasons the rear quarter chop became popular was to limit the damage from the tyres impacting the back of the guards. Also the rear quarters dont bounce well :p

JME_GU
5th February 2015, 04:25 PM
I guess whether the tyre hits on the rear wheel arch also depends on tyre size. I'm running 31s with a 2 inch lift, I reckon I will just go with the standard length arms

MudRunnerTD
5th February 2015, 04:29 PM
I guess whether the tyre hits on the rear wheel arch also depends on tyre size. I'm running 31s with a 2 inch lift, I reckon I will just go with the standard length arms

assuming that you have a GU based on your forum name then the Wheel arches are huge and will fit a 35 without trouble. a GQ has smaller arches and can get in a little trouble running 35s without either a Body Lift or some guard management.

A 2" lift and 265s and your standard Length are perfect mate.

JME_GU
15th February 2015, 07:43 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. I have ordered a set of standard length heavy duty lower control arms from Road Runner Offroad, I'll fit them next weekend :)