PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goats and The Pinnacles have been Graded

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2015, 10:58 PM
Yes, it is confirmed. Billy Goats and The Pinnacles on Blue Rag as fully graded as of 2 weeks ago.

Apparently it has been done as part of the management plan ready for controlled burning in the area.

Although it is reasonable to grade tracks for Fire Vehicle access it is very disappointing to loose another of the iconic tracks. Let's face it, a 4wd Tanker would have handled the easy line on Billygoats in the hands of a reasonable driver but oh well, its gone.

Apparently special attention was given to the rocky outcrops and step ups to completely remove them meaning they will likely never form again in the rock.

glad we did it at Easter 2014

Sad day.

outback
4th February 2015, 12:55 AM
Let's face it, a 4wd Tanker would have handled the easy line on Billygoats in the hands of a reasonable driver but oh well, its gone.

Mate its a nasty case of OH&S.. Does not matter if a reasonable driver can do it its the inexperienced level that is being catered for here..

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2015, 04:54 AM
Wow, that is so disappointing to hear having never done those tracks yet.

Winnie
4th February 2015, 05:13 AM
Are you sure about blue rag? The pinnacles is the top of Billy goats...
Spewing though!

MudRunnerTD
4th February 2015, 06:23 AM
Are you sure about blue rag? The pinnacles is the top of Billy goats...
Spewing though!

Blue rag had been graded before we did it Winnie. So they used a Dozer and dealt with all natural obstacles permanently.

Oh and Face Book is FULL OF FLOGS! Just in case you didn't know :(

Hodge
4th February 2015, 07:00 AM
My mate works for DEPI up there, and yeah a LOT of tracks are going to be graded in the near future. They have been working alot around the Jamieson area recently.
Blue rag was done more than a year ago.

mudski
4th February 2015, 07:38 AM
Mate its a nasty case of OH&S.. Does not matter if a reasonable driver can do it its the inexperienced level that is being catered for here..
The grading is done purely for easier and faster access for the fire services. Not just a OH&S case. Those tracks are only there for our enjoyment because of the services needing access. Yes its a damn shame, yes I am spewing I missed out on the experience of driving these iconic tracks at their best. But they don't grade them just to piss us 4wd'ers off. Its done to help keep our beautiful countryside what it is.
Go up to Kinglake where Black Saturday ripped through 4 or so years ago and the bushland is still stuffed. Its growing back, but not like it was and a lot of the larger tree's just stand there lifeless. If grading tracks means reducing fire damage. Then I'm all for it. I'd rather see it graded then closed off to the public permanently.

threedogs
4th February 2015, 07:43 AM
one thing that is good about this is that they never closed it,
and Im sure they thought about it.
Been lucky enough to do these tracks a few times
wont take long for clowns to chew them up a bit lol

jay see
4th February 2015, 07:47 AM
Well said mudski:thumbup:

Drewboyaus
4th February 2015, 07:54 AM
Well said mudski:thumbup:

What he said......
Give it a few years of erosion, it will get better again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

BigRAWesty
4th February 2015, 08:08 AM
Dam. Bloody lucky I conned the missus in time now.
Although it was by far not its most difficult it was a very enjoyable run and really showed how capable the patrol is.

But as mudski said at least they are still open. I doubt they would have closed them as they are a pretty major thing to do in that area, and now with the fee'd camping I doubt they would have had many returners if they didn't have the tracks.

But as drew also said. Give it a few years of good rain and idiots they'll get back to some sort of challenge.

happygu
4th February 2015, 08:18 AM
Dam. Bloody lucky I conned the missus in time now.
Although it was by far not its most difficult it was a very enjoyable run and really showed how capable the patrol is.

But as mudski said at least they are still open. I doubt they would have closed them as they are a pretty major thing to do in that area, and now with the fee'd camping I doubt they would have had many returners if they didn't have the tracks.

But as drew also said. Give it a few years of good rain and idiots they'll get back to some sort of challenge.

Camping is still free near Billy Goats top and bottom and all around ....... in fact we never encountered any areas requiring payment in the recent January holidays.

It was also graded only a few years ago too, but with the amount of traffic it sees, it won't take too long to change it's character anyway - you are right, and it will still be one of the best drives in the area.....

threedogs
4th February 2015, 08:35 AM
Fee'd camping is a whole new can of worms worthy of it own thread , but it wont happen from what I know.

From the top of the Pinnacle fire tower they say on a clear day you can see Mt Hotham and Lakes Entrance,
you just need a bit of breeze to clear the air

mudski
4th February 2015, 09:04 AM
Fee'd camping is a whole new can of worms worthy of it own thread , but it wont happen from what I know.

Agreed it is.
But I'm happy to pay a fee if it means the upkeep of the camping areas. The fee's should go to CCTV hidden in tree's to spot the vandals...

threedogs
4th February 2015, 09:07 AM
Agreed it is.
But I'm happy to pay a fee if it means the upkeep of the camping areas. The fee's should go to CCTV hidden in tree's to spot the vandals...

and you dont think thats not happening lol

mudski
4th February 2015, 01:37 PM
and you dont think thats not happening lol

Well unless the guys at DEPI are feeding me shite when I asked them. Its not. But they all agreed, it should....

tikashooter
4th February 2015, 08:10 PM
I'm glad I did Billy Goats and Pinnacles 3 odd weeks ago. I can understand why Depi grade these and other tracks. When I was up there a couple
of bush fires in the general area were started by lightening strikes, which we saw some touch down, in areas with limited access for ground crews.
We had good views of these fires from the Pinnacles Fire tower area.
Luckily it was mother nature to the rescue, it rained.

Sir Roofy
4th February 2015, 08:23 PM
well unless the guys at depi are feeding me shite when i asked them. Its not. But they all agreed, it should....

they have cameras on some of the gates and in parks with new long drops

the evil twin
4th February 2015, 09:18 PM
This is an issue near and dear to my heart but I'll try and stay on the calmer side of passionate.

kudos to the posts by Mudski and similar thinkers.

The tracks are there for the fire/forestry/parks management in the first place so we are extremely lucky to have access to them.
The biggest issue is so the BFS etc can get the eff out of dodge if the fire behaviour changes.
Given that Mums, Dads, Sons, Daughters, Sisters, Brothers etc make up the BFS I for one am bloody happy that they don't have to be a gun driver to manage a loaded Striker or whatever on skinnys to make an escape down tracks that have jump ups and ruts made by 35 inch reccy vehicles.

Not many fatals happen trying to get in to the fires, they generally happen trying to get out.

Enjoy the bush, respect the fire trails, remember who the poor bastards are who may need them to save their lives not just as a weekend challenge

Stropp
5th February 2015, 02:21 PM
well said ET, cant agree more.

mudski
5th February 2015, 04:00 PM
they have cameras on some of the gates and in parks with new long drops

Ahh thats good to see. It was the DSE down in Colac I originally spoke to last year. Might be something we see more often now.

threedogs
5th February 2015, 05:11 PM
well said ET but as we all know there is a very small minority that think
they can drive anywhere and do anything they like, No amount of education
will stop it, It's up to us the "reccy 4wder" as you put it to, to keep an eye on these clowns
and take photos,, times,,rego's of their activities and report it to the powers that be.
Just because you own a 4x4 doesn't mean you are exempt from the Hoon laws.
Pet hate of mine seeing PPL ripping up paddocks and Crown land doing "circle work"
Do It around me and I will report it as I hope everyone else will. they have graded the track , great ,
they could of closed it down, dont give them an excuse, rant over