PDA

View Full Version : Leak-proof catch can drain valve?????

docp1980
2nd February 2015, 01:35 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across a drain valve for the Provent catch cans (or any catch can for that matter) that does not leak? Mine constantly drips and if I can't find a leak-proof replacement I think I am going to have to tap the drain back into the sump.....

Cheers,

Matt

threedogs
2nd February 2015, 01:41 PM
try a small stainless steel Ball valve never leak Maybe 1/4bsp male to 1/4bsp male

SG1
2nd February 2015, 01:45 PM
Had a similar thing going on with my Provent 200 as well, even had the on off valve that comes with it from western filters, originally only had a short bit of hose and could drain it from in the engine bay, ran the longer section of hose to out under the wheel arch area and surprisingly for some unknown reason has not leaked a drop since..

BillsGU
2nd February 2015, 01:46 PM
I just use a plastic in line tap used for 13mm irrigation hose. The hose goes down to near the front of the side step and I empty it when I do an oil change. I bought it at Bunnings years ago and it has never leaked a drop.

Snow Patrol
2nd February 2015, 03:13 PM
I have one of those 13 mm Taps as well and its leaked from the start. I ended up putting on a short piece of vinyl hose and jamming a spent .410 shotgun cartridge in it. Hasn't leaked since.

Hodge
2nd February 2015, 04:37 PM
Mine leaked as well. Undoing the tap fitting, and putting some of that white thread seal tape thingie stopped it 100% !!!
INitially I thought it was the hose clamp connection over the fitting, and replaced a clamp, and still leaked.
Basically it is leaking through the thread!

mudski
3rd February 2015, 09:02 AM
I just use a 2ich long bolt shoved up the end of the hose with a hose clamp on it. Never leaks. Only takes a minute longer that a tap to undo and drain.... If you use a bolt , get a longer one say around four inches so the shank in around one or two, and cut the threaded section of. You want the clamp to be clamping on the shank of the bolt, not the thread otherwise it will leak.

Sir Roofy
3rd February 2015, 01:42 PM
I just use garden hose and fittings
and a plastic tap never leaked yet