PDA

View Full Version : Diesel additive

Tonyg1969
1st February 2015, 10:49 AM
Hi all,

I was given a bottle of diesel additive recently called diesel power made by chem tech and i'm reluctant to use it as i don't know if it would make any difference
to the overall performance or cause any problems with the engine. It claims to boost engine performance, clean injectors, improve fuel economy and reduce exhaust emissions etc. Dosage is min. 1ml per litre.

Has or does anyone here use these products and are they ok to use?

Cheers Tony

threedogs
1st February 2015, 10:58 AM
I used castrol T2 plus injector cleaner and find the motor is quieter,
not sure if it increases mileage but I feel its doing good

mudski
1st February 2015, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I was given a bottle of diesel additive recently called diesel power made by chem tech and i'm reluctant to use it as i don't know if it would make any difference
to the overall performance or cause any problems with the engine. It claims to boost engine performance, clean injectors, improve fuel economy and reduce exhaust emissions etc. Dosage is min. 1ml per litre.

Has or does anyone here use these products and are they ok to use?

Cheers Tony

If you live in a area which sells dirty fuel then yes it will benefit. If you've had fuel sitting in your tank for longer than a few weeks and the weather has been warm, then yes use it. If your injectors are dirty, it may help. Replacing the injectors helps better.
The only time I used this stuff was when I bought my car. I didnt know the quality of the fuel they were using as I bought it from a farmer. So I overdosed both tanks twice to clean any algae that might have been in there and then replaced the filter.
It does do what its designed to do to a point. But some of the claims are plain rubbish IMO.

4bye4
1st February 2015, 11:13 AM
I use Castrol T2 + same as TD. Same comment, the motor is quieter. Fuel usage seems to be slightly better, I get between 12.5 and 13.6 depending on type of driving and temp. (air conditioner on/off).
As for the Chem Tech product, I would think it will either do some good or nothing. I wouldn't think they would put a product out there that would harm and engine.
The claims are really dependent on the condition of your engine. If the injectors are "dirty" and the spray pattern is not correct, then any injector cleaner may help. If you clean the injectors you will boost performance, improve economy and reduce emissions. If you system is clean and working properly I think any improvement will be minimal at best.

Rock Trol
1st February 2015, 12:19 PM
I use FlashLube Diesel Conditioner every so often in my CRD. The car seems to have a little more pep and is a little smoother but generally my engine runs well without it.
The first time I used this stuff was on my old Pajero with the 2.8 TD motor which is very loud. It made a huge difference to the car and it was quieter and a lot smoother. These additives work better on older vehicles as they were designed for diesel with a higher sulphur content so the additives increase the lubrication in the injector pump. The CRD's run pretty well on the current low sulphur fuel so if you have a later model then maybe run the stuff every 6-12 months to keep injectors clean.

P4trol
1st February 2015, 12:34 PM
Main purpose of diesel additive like chemtech diesel power is to stop algae growth (which grows on the water in the tank) / water dispersant - mixes the water all through the tank. Water is pretty much a death sentence for crd injectors and fuel pumps. Water can either be in the tank from a bad batch of fuel or build up by condensation. Either way, it's usually when you are out and about (using the max capacity of the fuel tank/ rough roads musing up the water so it finally makes its way into the fuel pick up.

Using diesel conditioner regularly helps prevent this stuff.

SonOf
1st February 2015, 01:13 PM
I use the Wynns injector cleaner as a maintanence every so often and after reading a post in here tried the T2 which did make the old girl run a little quieter.

the evil twin
1st February 2015, 01:33 PM
Main purpose of diesel additive like chemtech diesel power is to stop algae growth (which grows on the water in the tank) / water dispersant - mixes the water all through the tank. Water is pretty much a death sentence for crd injectors and fuel pumps. Water can either be in the tank from a bad batch of fuel or build up by condensation. Either way, it's usually when you are out and about (using the max capacity of the fuel tank/ rough roads musing up the water so it finally makes its way into the fuel pick up.

Using diesel conditioner regularly helps prevent this stuff.

Agree mostly but it is on initial start up that water causes the damage not out on the tracks.
After the car sits for a while all the water molecules collect in the bottom of the tank and the fuel pick up.
Start the vehicle and the system gets a gob full of water.

Bouncing around on the tracks will only cause issues with any contaminants that are lighter than Diesel

Edit - I should add that anyone using bio-diesel should definitely consider fuel additives that have water dispersant.
bio-diesel has something like 3 times the ability over petro-diesel to absorb dissolved water which then finds it's way into the tank

threedogs
1st February 2015, 02:58 PM
I like to put it in just before i go away knowing I'll use all the fuel in one tank.

Hodge
1st February 2015, 04:14 PM
I use this every second tank. Flash Lube. Every second or third tank. Motor definitely runs quieter with a full tank mixed with this. Been using it with my navara way before I owned the pootrol, so just kept the tradition going. Don't know about claims regarding better fuel economy and/or power.
I started using it when I got the pootrol even more because my car is from Coober Pedy orgiginally so who knows what type of diesel and/or contaminants it may have go over there so thought this may give it a cleanout and yeah, I just kept going with it.
I get the stuff for nix through diesel mechanics at work, so why not. I doubt it's doing any harm tbh.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54637&stc=1

Rock Trol
1st February 2015, 04:28 PM
I bought a litre from Terrain Tamer a few years ago and still have half left as I don't dose it every time I fuel up. If buying something like Flash Lube its better to buy in bulk from somewhere like Terrain Tamer or other truck parts businesses as it works out a lot cheaper than buying the 50ml and 250ml bottles from Super Cheap etc. Bulk sizes come in 1 litre, 5 litre and 20 litre drums. Can't remember the prices now but if using a lot its worth buying bulk. I have started using it every few tanks as of late last year so when I run out it will be time for one of the bigger sizes.

The dose is 1 ml: 1 Litre of fuel so its easy to measure and does work at keeping the motor running smoother. I read on another forum that someone had seen the material data sheet for the stuff and it was basically mineral two stroke oil with some shellite mixed in for the cleaning agent. It's pretty mild though so can use it often.

katwoman
2nd February 2015, 06:32 PM
We use ' diesel power' in all our fourbys. Have always used it and never had a problem, so it can't hurt. Right ?

At $160 for 5 litres, it is a tad expensive.

cnorth
8th February 2015, 05:42 PM
I have also used the flashlube conditioner and found noticeable results in both power and economy, i use it in both my gu patrol 4.2 and 100 series cruiser. Surprising the difference it makes.

92GQ
8th February 2015, 08:49 PM
I've been using Flashlube in both my TD42 GQs for over 10 years, no problems.
Engines goes and sounds awesome!

onlyme376
10th February 2015, 12:15 AM
I use a mix of ftc decarbonizer and cleanpower fuel treatment/ injector cleaner in mine from cost effective maintenance I have seen the difference the decarbonizer makes on CAT 3500 series engines over service life at the mines and how the service cost at rebuild is reduced for those using it. I can also say my motor runs quieter and better on fuel
www.costeffective.com.au if you have a crd they have a different injector cleaner designed specifically for common rail engines

4bye4
1st March 2015, 12:10 AM
I have been watching several thread about additives and trying a few myself. I have been adding Castrol T2 since the start of the year with the following results.

LTR Kms L/100Km

55.23 420.4 13.14
39.21 300.9 13.03
53.78 412.6 13.03
27.4 211.7 12.94
32.31 276.2 11.70
39.18 302.1 12.97
36.98 287.0 12.89
37.69 301.8 12.49
51.56 401.4 12.85
39.63 318.6 12.44
looks like a small improvement. Engine is quieter and also quieter since I have been providing my own oil instead of what the dealer used.

Heavyweight
1st March 2015, 05:34 PM
I have been using the Chemtech in my 2014 for the last 3 weeks, only had the car since New for about 4 weeks, the first thing I noticed is that it immediately made the engine a little quieter and seems to give a little more power, currently averaging about 13.50 km/100km....(bit of city and highway driving)

I will finish the litre bottle then I have a similar product from Cost Effective Maintenance (CRD fuel enhancer) which I will try.

Hodge
4th April 2015, 01:10 PM
Thought I'd put an update to this. Just went and bought a bottle of flashlube as I always do. Filled up, and didn't realize till I came home that I've grabbed a "Common Rail" version. Had no idea one existed. And no idea what the difference is. Must be something new ??

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56814&stc=1

92GQ
4th April 2015, 01:41 PM
Yeah the common rail version has been out for a while, my TD42 hasn't noticed.

the evil twin
4th April 2015, 01:57 PM
Only difference is it costs more? (sarcasm)

I think Flash Lube have changed their labelling but not 100% sure, just checked their website and the pics I saw all had "common rail" on the label

Anyway...
Typical Diesel Conditioners contain two ingredients, lubricant and solvent
The lubricant is usually equivalent to 2T (two stroke oil) and the solvent is a hydrocarbon such as Naptha
The typical conditioner mix varies but is around 7 to 9 parts lube to 3 to 1 part solvent and any other secret ingredient is in such small quantities as is irrelevant.

Bottom line... Flash Lube is convenient I spose but if you want to 'condition' your Diesel for heaps less cost than Flash Lube et al, run fuel with 2T at 100:1 and throw in a solvent for a tank or whatever prior to each fuel filter change to remove any gum build up.

P4trol
4th April 2015, 02:07 PM
I wonder what could be different? Higher price tag?

Some people wouldn't buy something like that unless it said it was for "common rail", "Nissan patrol" or "real men". And it has the potential to be similar to panadol / nurofen where it purported to offer "targeted relief" for say the thumb on your left hand.

Overall, I suspect (warning: unqualified opinions here!) the major thing it does is amalgamate the water evenly through the fuel. This means the bacteria won't grow in the fuel. And if that's the only thing it does for me I'm happy. 180L of diesel has the potential to last two days or almost a month before I use it all.

garett
4th April 2015, 02:13 PM
the chemtec stuff tests as one of the best additives for diesels. their petrol version is rubbish. repco brand is nulon which is better than Wynns garbage. if used constantly it does keep the fuel system clean. not really good for cleaning. some also boost the cetane rating.

Hodge
4th April 2015, 02:46 PM
I wonder what could be different? Higher price tag?

They are actually the same price as the one prior without the "common rail" label. Hence another reason I didn't notice until later on, when I looked at the bottle.

Daddy D.
16th April 2015, 11:34 PM
hi guys,
I'm a new comer on the forum... so a bit late to the show
Is adding 2t oil to the diesel will help prolonging engine life?

4bye4
16th April 2015, 11:41 PM
hi guys,
I'm a new comer on the forum... so a bit late to the show
Is adding 2t oil to the diesel will help prolonging engine life?

The jury is still out on that one. Some believe in it (myself, three dogs and others), some say its a myth and doesn't do anything. I believe the engine is quieter and quite means less wear. There is no conclusive study that I know of.

Daddy D.
16th April 2015, 11:54 PM
The jury is still out on that one. Some believe in it (myself, three dogs and others), some say its a myth and doesn't do anything. I believe the engine is quieter and quite means less wear. There is no conclusive study that I know of.

Thanks 4bye4,
at least it doesn't hurt and I 'd rather go safe than sorry...

Rock Trol
17th April 2015, 12:58 AM
If all the Flashlube Diesel Conditioner additives have Common Rail on the label then I think it would be just labelling as ET suggests. Just a case of moving with the times.