PDA

View Full Version : Safety Standard

jimmypoggin
31st January 2015, 06:44 PM
The Nissan Patrol 3 litre diesel gets an appalling safety standard rating, comparabe with Great Wall. How can a reputable company like Nissan who ave made great cars in the past sell such a dud. If I had known I would never have bought it ( I bought a new one as I loved the 1996 turbo diesel model. Did not do the research

BigRAWesty
31st January 2015, 07:01 PM
Solid axles seal the deal straight up.
All the air bags in the world won't bring it up.
Great wall have independent suspension but no airbags lol.
So the same

growler2058
31st January 2015, 07:08 PM
Chalk n cheese ol cock. The great wall WILL die well before the Patrol. The great wall has not a hope in hell of going where a Patrol will take you

P4trol
31st January 2015, 07:35 PM
You're not comparing apples with apples.

The great wall was designed in 20??

The patrol chassis in the y61 shape was designed in 199? Certainly before today's safety standard. This standard never sits still, but marches forward.

Chinese are very good at knowing just where to cut the corners with manufacturing. Sometimes too much (cable girl anyone?) I'd take my chances with the patrol.

the evil twin
31st January 2015, 08:18 PM
The Nissan Patrol 3 litre diesel gets an appalling safety standard rating, comparabe with Great Wall. How can a reputable company like Nissan who ave made great cars in the past sell such a dud. If I had known I would never have bought it ( I bought a new one as I loved the 1996 turbo diesel model. Did not do the research

Uuummmm... not sure if I have intrepreted your post quite right but if you had a 1996 turbo diesel then a ZD30 CRD is a totally different animal and a huge improvement all round including ANCAP.

If you mean the 3 star ANCAP rating across the board then Yes, it is low for a current generation vehicle but there are a some out there with 0 ANCAP as well.
But...
ANCAP is a very broad rating and does not address many specifics that are an inherent part of a vehicle determined solely by it's role.

Would I buy a Mum and the Kids shopping trolley that wasn't ANCAP 5?... Hell no
Would I buy a 4WD tourer that was ANCAP 3 or 0?... In a heartbeat

Indeed my current daily drive is an ANCAP 5.
My current GU Patrol has no airbags, no ABS, no ESC, indeed pretty much no anything except for the ability to go from Cape Leeuwin to Cape York... in a straight line... and then turn around and come back.

Bottom line is that for a 4WD tourer ANCAP is pretty much irrelevant so don't be disappointed by that, just drive it and enjoy every minute.