PDA

View Full Version : Wissling Noise

rod1169
31st January 2015, 02:03 PM
Can anyone help me with this . I have a whistling noise coming from under the bonnet mainly just when I start of up the road after put the foot down A little . have checked the belts put new belts on its like air whistling out of something but after a little while it stops . thank you for your time and any help you may give . PS. Its a Nissan Patrol wagon 2001 ZD 30 TDi

Email: rod1169@hotmail.com

Sir Roofy
31st January 2015, 02:31 PM
look at your manifold gasket and have the manifold plainned

paulyg
31st January 2015, 02:34 PM
I can hear the turbo whistle on mine, has the noise always been there? of is it a new noise?

happygu
31st January 2015, 02:49 PM
Symptoms do sound like a leaky Exhaust Manifold or cracked/broken EGR Pipe

threedogs
31st January 2015, 03:17 PM
X 2 with Happy check the egr pipe for cracks if thats ok,
check the exhaust manifold they are known to warping

Stropp
31st January 2015, 03:34 PM
yes or could be the intercooler or piping split which is fairly common, check intercooler hoses are tight and run you finger around the seams on the intercooler to check for oil or a dirty looking spot on the welds to check it hasnt split at the seam or weld

4bye4
31st January 2015, 03:48 PM
Any performance changes or just the noise?

threedogs
31st January 2015, 04:05 PM
As Stropp says if the IC is oily chances are its FOOBAR and needs replacing with a tigged one.
You could put an EGR blocking plate in to see if its that, but sounds like you need to NADS your Patrol

AB
31st January 2015, 05:02 PM
yes or could be the intercooler or piping split which is fairly common, check intercooler hoses are tight and run you finger around the seams on the intercooler to check for oil or a dirty looking spot on the welds to check it hasnt split at the seam or weld

Same thing happened to our work car zd30 2000. Small split in the ic, could hear it on start up but went away shortly afterwards when it heated up and closed the split enough for the noise to stop.

Rock Trol
31st January 2015, 07:57 PM
To check if its the exhaust gasket (warped manifold) place a rag over the end of the exhaust pipe while it is idling. Don't fully block it but get it to build up some back pressure and if the whistle sounds then you know where the problem lies. Otherwise it could be intercooler or hoses, as others have suggested.

rod1169
6th February 2015, 06:37 PM
No I cannot notice any difference in the power just as I take off this noise come in .

kevin07
6th February 2015, 07:26 PM
Symptoms do sound like a leaky Exhaust Manifold or cracked/broken EGR Pipe

funny that just had both repaired this week myself and yes the noise stopped as well

kevin07
6th February 2015, 07:29 PM
also try some talc powder around the manifold also could be the flange under the turbo mine was leaking there as well

Mjcpatrol
22nd March 2015, 08:37 PM
If you do the job make sure you have 2 new studs you will need them I did

rod1169
29th March 2015, 04:10 PM
Yer No I know what the noise of the turbo sounds like . this started only a few months back . ask Nissan they have told me it is a common problem with manifold gaskets not sealing from cracking . " any more of these common problems with these ZD30's. I for one will not be Buy a another Nissan Patrol with ZD30 Motor ever Again" with Motors blowing up , engine management Problems, injector Pump problem, Turbo problems now common problem with manifold gasket opening up.

rod1169
29th March 2015, 04:14 PM
can any one tell me how much I maybe up to have it fixed

Shaun blank
2nd April 2015, 08:24 PM
Im having the same problem with my 3L, have only just bought it and i throught it was the belt, but after replacing it the noise is still there, and on closer inspection i'm pretty shore its the manifold because the noise is behind the turbo, but its difficult to see until i removepipe off side of engine