PDA

View Full Version : Old parafin burner

threedogs
29th January 2015, 04:18 PM
Heres an old parafin burner I picked up in my travels, the Burner this one has is called "TheSilent Burner"
they other style is called a "Roarer". Bit before my time but I remember the pressure tilley lamps.
This has a complex starting system , first you need to fill the lower cup with Metho to warm up the burner.
Then you pump some pressure and light it. I have a few different styles all the others are solid brass.
Going to get one going so I can take it to camp.
This example looks like its neverbeen used as it still has the cardboard and paper on it, the drip tray is a rarity.
I have a smaller Monitor burner and a 2 pint Companion as well as the blow torch which was used to strip paint
and heat soldering irons,
Idea is to polish it up and bring it back to working condition

threedogs
30th January 2015, 12:22 PM
I ended up getting two going, first you need to fill the cup below the burner with metho and light this heats up the burn.
Releasing the pressure screw, when metho is out shut the pressure screw and give it a few pumps and light.
The one with the frame work was brand new and fired up first time since the 50s or60s I suppose.
Of the picture with three in it I have two going simplicity at its best. The Monitor is a collectors piece.
A bit of nostalgia at camp to boil the kettle in the morning'
Yellow flame is 50 yrs of dust

Bush Ranger
30th January 2015, 03:24 PM
Good to see you putting them to use and getting enjoyment out of them. I had a couple of very old kero tin lamps that you hung off the wall, which I used citronella in them. Worked well.

threedogs
30th January 2015, 04:18 PM
I picked up a brass hurricane lamp off ebay for $28 which I filled with citronella.
I lke to see the old stuff survive I have a bit here thats for sure.

Bush Ranger
31st January 2015, 10:24 PM
The old things have character about them. Only if they could talk.