PDA

View Full Version : Road trip spares - what do you take?

tracemul7
28th January 2015, 01:25 PM
Hey Folks,

Planning our 3.5 week trip up from Adelaide to Uluru, via Oodnadatta and back via West MacDonnell Ranges and Coober Pedy. It's well over 4000km driving, and quite a bit of bush camping etc.
Question is .... what spares for the Patrol would you take with you? We've got about 155,000km on the clock - and a major service will be done before we go away.

We have a reasonable selection of tools, plus a few bits we've gathered up for previous trips (spare battery terminals, fuses, tape etc).

I've heard of people taking hoses etc, and am intrigued to know what everyone else takes as spare for their Patrols :)

Any info much appreciated!

Trace

BillsGU
28th January 2015, 01:35 PM
I take my RACV Total Care card.

BigRAWesty
28th January 2015, 01:43 PM
I take my RACV Total Care card.

X2. Best insurance you can get

threedogs
28th January 2015, 01:49 PM
Air filter, MAF spray,belt tensioner pulley with a decent bearing. hoses and a belt. workshop manual, Brake fluid some engine oil.
CRC spray, electrical tape, All this can fit in a milk crate.
There is a list of all lists on what to take camping, print that out and cross out what you dont need for this trip

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17709-The-mother-of-all-camping-lists

tracemul7
28th January 2015, 01:59 PM
oooh thanks folks!
We have RAA top cover, plus fully comp insurance ... but some spares might help us get running again without stopping our trip.

Air filter, MAF spray,belt tensioner pulley with a decent bearing. hoses and a belt. workshop manual, Brake fluid some engine oil.
CRC spray, electrical tape, All this can fit in a milk crate.
There is a list of all lists on what to take camping, print that out and cross out what you dont need for this trip

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17709-The-mother-of-all-camping-lists

Will check out that list, thanks!

BigRAWesty
28th January 2015, 02:03 PM
Those tracks are notoriously bad for corrugations.
So maybe a shock each for front and rear.
And a battery welder incase something breaks.

rkinsey
28th January 2015, 02:03 PM
Trace,

I'm still building my spares for the Patrol but here is a list that I have so far:

Spare fan belts (one of each)
An assortment of nuts, bolts, screws, fasteners, wheel nuts (x12), wheel nut studs (x12), washers (various sizes)
1 x radiator cap
1 x emergency fuel filler cap
1 x set of radiator hoses
several radiator hose clamps of various sizes
3m of red and 3m of black 4mm electrical cable
Electrical cable spade connectors (male and female)
rolls of electrical tape
2 x rolls of Duct tape (Hundred mile an hour tape)
a roll of fencing wire (about 3m worth)
Tyre puncture repair kit
fuel tank repair putty (the metal one)
An assortment of spare light globes (at least the essential ones, main head lights)
some fly screen (to make a radiator curtain should the installed one fail)

Not to mention spare fluids (Brake, Engine oil, transmission/gear oil, clutch/power steer fluid, water (dont mix with coolant, can be used as emergency rations if required. I keep 4 x 2lt coke bottles filled up)

I'm still working on spare tyre tubes, turbo assembly, brake and clutch slave and master cylinders and possibly a radiator as well. Spare shocks, air, oil and fuel filters.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
28th January 2015, 02:07 PM
I should also add brake and clutch lines to my list.

happygu
28th January 2015, 02:23 PM
If you look at your trip, the longest distance that you will be travelling from major centre to major centre is around half of your trip say at 2000 klms

If your car is well serviced, then you should be OK for your trip - let your service company know that you will be doing a remote trip, and they will check most of the major things like wheel bearings, steering components, brakes, etc, etc. This should mostly eliminate the possibility that you will have a major component failure that will stop you in your tracks for a trip of 2000 klms.....

Looking at the major fails that seem to be common and can happen out in the middle of nowhere, and of which will stop you in your tracks, there are a few - but most relate to the bits that rotate the most.....

I carry a spare set of rear wheel studs and nuts ( the rears are longer than the fronts and can be used in the front if necessary - they will just push and break through the ends of the encapsulated nuts ), a belt and tensioner.

I carry the stretchy self adhesive silicon tape, which will bond to a hose, and to itself. This can then be used on any pipe / hose.

I carry an assorted selection of electrical connectors, wire, screws, small gauge fencing wire that I can easily wrap and twist up to hold things together ( like my broken roofrack in the middle of the Simpson ).

I have never had to use any of the major bits, and have carried the thin fencing wire around with me for nearly twenty years without using it...... until recently :smile:

Think about it as logically as you can, and try to take stuff that can be used for multiple repairs, and not just for one thing only ..... for example, I carry a portable gas powered soldering iron, and I was able to use this to repair a jeep that was with us, who had torn a hole in the automatic cooler lines to the radiator .... we removed them, made a fire and carefully heated up the pipe to make it easier to solder and to burn off any transmission fluid inside, and I soldered it up ... with a small fluid top up, he made it back to Melbourne from the middle of the Vic High Country ...

Mic

threedogs
28th January 2015, 02:32 PM
I take it you will get a service before you go, get them to change hoses and belts and keep the old ones for spares

BillsGU
28th January 2015, 02:43 PM
If you make sure your vehicle is well looked after and serviced regularly you should only need minimal spares. Where you are going is not really remote any more. Years ago it was - but your main worry nowadays is somebody running in to you! It doesn't matter what spares you take - if something does go wrong it is certain it will be something you don't have (Murphy Rule 6B). If you have Top Cover in the RACV (or eqivalent), they will tow you, give you a rental car and put you up in accommodation. Carrying a ton of spares that take up heaps of space is not necessary unless you go to very remote areas.

bishbashbosh
30th January 2015, 01:05 PM
perfect thread.. taking note myself here!

4bye4
30th January 2015, 01:29 PM
Best thing I ever baought was a set of Metrinch sockets. Only half as many needed and will fit damaged and rounded nuts/bolts if you have to. Don't use them on rattle gun though.

threedogs
30th January 2015, 02:23 PM
make sure you carry plenty of water even if not venturing too far off the main drag.
A few smaller containers is better than one big one in the event of a leak

tracemul7
30th January 2015, 02:43 PM
make sure you carry plenty of water even if not venturing too far off the main drag.
A few smaller containers is better than one big one in the event of a leak
Yep - we've got an 85 litre bladder, and so have the other vehicle we're travelling with. Plus we're going to take some other water bottles for emergencies, just incase :)

Working my way through that list and deciding what we NEED vs what we should think about in the future! It's pretty thorough, which is a big win, as my camping list was 'deleted' when the app i used got merged with another and remove from my phone .... bl00dy technology!

threedogs
30th January 2015, 04:07 PM
Lay out your gear with your mate so you dont double up, plus you can share some items .
I like to travel as light as I can , saves alot of wear and tear on the Patrol,

tracemul7
30th January 2015, 04:30 PM
Lay out your gear with your mate so you dont double up, plus you can share some items .
I like to travel as light as I can , saves alot of wear and tear on the Patrol,

Yep - we've already sorted the food and camping items ... down to things like who is taking ketchup :P

But thinking about it, we could do the same with tools etc .... will get onto them!
They will clearly need more tools as they have a Land Cruiser :P

threedogs
30th January 2015, 06:06 PM
More so that 54mm hub socket if I got the size right, or any special tools
take your time you will see more and your wallet will thank you.
dont have fixed times to be at a certain place as you may find a place thats awesome and deserves
a better look. Plus you may push too hard to keep your timetable, never good IMO

tracemul7
30th January 2015, 09:18 PM
More so that 54mm hub socket if I got the size right, or any special tools
take your time you will see more and your wallet will thank you.
dont have fixed times to be at a certain place as you may find a place thats awesome and deserves
a better look. Plus you may push too hard to keep your timetable, never good IMO

Yep, we're only got certain places booked so we can be pretty selective :) The nights are planned as follows:
1 x campsite - 4 x bush - 2 x campsite - 4 x bush - 3 x campsite - 5 bush - 2 x hotel - 1 x campsite

But bush camping days are mostly under 100km driving planned, so we can drive around, find a good spot, come and go if we want. Some of them we may well stay in the same spot multiple nights, if we like it :)

We've allowed a good amount of time to get to each campsite that we've booked, so we're not having to race around. Bring it on! First big trip longer than 10 days! Woohoo!

threedogs
31st January 2015, 08:29 AM
how much tread on your tyres?
Just saying cause they could be $500 plus a corner
dont ask me why,
Are you towing trailers??

Winnie
31st January 2015, 08:46 AM
Before my big trip I replaced all hoses and belts, and took the old ones with me as spares. I carried a spare shock absorber, all suspension arms I carried too.
Did not use any of it but was good to have.

mudski
31st January 2015, 10:52 AM
Before my big trip I replaced all hoses and belts, and took the old ones with me as spares. I carried a spare shock absorber, all suspension arms I carried too.
Did not use any of it but was good to have.

Yeah if you have got these as spares it would be good also the room to carry them. Apart from pretty much what everyone else has said. A belt and tensioner would be on top of my list.

threedogs
31st January 2015, 11:34 AM
A decent tyre repair kit would be up there on things to take .
I leave mine in the 4x4 all the time

BigRAWesty
31st January 2015, 05:41 PM
A tube to suit your tyre size is as good as a spare too

tracemul7
3rd March 2015, 10:03 PM
Hey Folks - sorry been busy and slack at replying!

So, in answer to some of the recent questions ....
Not towing, and will only running roof bars with shovel, otherwise everything else inside vehicle.
Tyres got good tread - guessing 70% tread left, plus spare is brand new. We have a tyre repair kit with plugs etc.

We leave in 4 weeks, so getting down to fine detail now about what we're taking! Eeeek!

Patrol is booked in for 160,000km service on Friday with Nissan (still under warranty and the Nissan garage have been awesome). The service is a major one (our first major since we bought it with 143,000 in mid 2013) so as well as the major service items we'll prob get them to do the belts and major hoses. Then we'll keep the old ones as spares.

Not sure if people will see it on this thread, or if i should start a new one .... I have questions about Sat Phones, Vs EPIRBs, Vs devices such as the Spot Gen 3 or the InReach Explorer .... Ideally we're looking for navgation/waypoint marker device with an SOS facility too (covers both bases in one device) but interested in any thoughts on these :)

liftlid
4th March 2015, 08:19 AM
It's sat phone for me that way you can call who you need to, you don't always need a rescue and the family can contact you if emergency at home.
Next I would go HF radio with it you could contact somebody only a few klicks from you that could help if in trouble.
Then epirb they work but are a bit clunky and more of a "I'm going to die" response

BillsGU
4th March 2015, 10:04 AM
Where you are going is not really remote any more. One of the greatest dangers you have where you are going is a vehicle accident (someone running in to you) because there is a "time window" where the weather out there is ideal and as such everyone goes there at the same time. If something happens to you it will only be a short period of time before someone will come along.

Having said that it does not hurt to have emergency communications along. A sat phone is by far the most useful - relatively expensive - but very useful. You can rent them now at a reasonable cost and if you have a few people going on the trip you can share the cost. HF radio is expensive to buy and bulky/heavy to install and you would have to be a member of the VKS-737 network. Also you have to have a reasonable knowledge of radio procedure, frequecy charts, antenna tuning, etc. Spot is useless in an emergency as there is no guarantee that someone is monitoring the other end when you really need them. EPIRBs are good but again, where you are going help would arrive before the emergency services responded to the EPIRB.

Our Club regularly runs trips to such areas and usually someone hires a sat phone and the rest share the cost.

Winnie
4th March 2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah if you have got these as spares it would be good also the room to carry them. Apart from pretty much what everyone else has said. A belt and tensioner would be on top of my list.

I keep them all under the back seats.

threedogs
4th March 2015, 12:59 PM
I've cable tied hoses etc onto the cargo barrier, best advice is drive to the conditions,It's never been a race
dont second guess yourself as your first thought was probably the best. travel as light as is practical
Check all fluids every day, walk around the Patrol every day, even look undeneath for anything out of the ordinary.
Give your tyres a visual as well, Have jack and other tools in arms reach should they be required

GQBIGRIG
10th March 2015, 11:10 PM
Love the advice threedogs,

Great for a young lad starting out like myself,

Cheers

4bye4
10th March 2015, 11:18 PM
Check all fluids every day, walk around the Patrol every day, even look underneath for anything out of the ordinary.
Give your tyres a visual as well, Have jack and other tools in arms reach should they be required
One of the things I try and get my customers to do (I'm in the machinery business) is to look at the ground where they park/store their machinery before parking, and then look again when picking up for the next usage. Look for fluid stains and try and see where they have come from. An small oil leak for instance is often more easily seen by the stain it leaves on the ground than a drip.

liftlid
11th March 2015, 08:58 AM
I put many of my spares including hoses and belts in the rear quarter panel, the rest are packed inside the roof spare tyre.

threedogs
11th March 2015, 09:09 AM
I put many of my spares including hoses and belts in the rear quarter panel, the rest are packed inside the roof spare tyre.

great use of what would be useless space otherwise

main thing is to travel as light as you can, weight will only cause problems
even with a GVM update all that means is you can take more, causing more problems
Look back on RAFA's thread, his mighty 4.2 GU ute couldn't hack the rigours of the outback NT.
research the area you are going too, working out everything you need to know.
If travelling with others all meetup [pre trip] fully loaded and un pack all your gear, for EG you wont need 3 hi lift jacks etc
Water would be your main concern a few smaller containers will be better than one big one in the event of a hole.

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:21 PM
Insurance covering all your extras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tracemul7
16th March 2015, 12:59 PM
Hey Folks - we've now got a pretty comprehensive list of what we're taking Vs what the other vehicle is taking.

We've also had 160,000km service done, which was a biggy. We got them to do the hoses at the same time, as they were doing the coolant anyway, so made sense.
Service done by Nissan, as we're still under extended warranty for 18months, so cost a few $$ but worthwhile in my opinion.

Vehicle is running well - no leaks at all (parked in garage overnight with painted floor, so easy to spot any leaks).

I have a couple of slight concerns ....
First:
The CTEK dc-dc charger doesn't like extreme heat, which is unfortunate given it's position in the engine bay. Road driving on 40+ degree days (or soft sand driving on 35+ days where the engine is working hard) the thermal cutout takes over to preserve the battery .... which is good for the battery, but bad for the fridge temps. We'll be carrying enough food spares (non-fridge food) plus not expecting excess heat in April (hence it only being a slight concern)
Anyone had this issue and done anything clever about it?

Second:
The exhaust was bent about 12months ago during some 4x4 tyre driving, so the tailpipe was sticking out the side of the vehicle, almost touching the rear passenger tyre and mudguard. After having the suspension upgrade, the exhaust was also with 2mm of the suspension too, so we cut the tailpipe and the rear muffler off.
No difference in the sound, but i'm guessing the exhaust fumes are likely to come in through the vehicle when stationary (not ideal, although we dont often sit with the engine running and not moving).
Any thoughts on this? Are the fumes when travelling likely to be an issue? Is there any impact of not having this portion of the exhaust?

Thanks in advance!!

Winnie
16th March 2015, 01:27 PM
To fix the problem with your DC-DC charger it should be mounted inside the cab somewhere. I know a few people who have mounted them underneath the dash out of site. In saying that though, it should be mounted as close as possible to the second battery.

threedogs
16th March 2015, 01:52 PM
go to an exhaust place and they can fit a flanged rear section of exhaust for you.
wouldn't break the bank I'd think, it may be un RW without it

threedogs
16th March 2015, 02:43 PM
Insurance covering all your extras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is quite meaningful as Billy just rolled his Patrol a week or
so back and has now been paid out and looking for his next patrol to mod.
make sure your accessories are covered