PDA

View Full Version : How to replace diff centre?

Covo71
28th January 2015, 08:00 AM
If I am swapping over 1 diff centre for the other is there anything special that needs to be done or is it take 1 out and put the other in? Is there any bearings that need to be replaced? What do I need before I start? Any help is good. Cheers
Scott

sooty_10
28th January 2015, 08:52 AM
If I am swapping over 1 diff centre for the other is there anything special that needs to be done or is it take 1 out and put the other in? Is there any bearings that need to be replaced? What do I need before I start? Any help is good. Cheers
Scott

So are you swapping the entire diff with centre housing? If so it is a straight swap (depending on condition of replacement diff).

If you are simply swapping the centre, using existing ring gear (ie. no ratio change) my understanding is you need to measure your backlash and reset it accordingly after you put the ring gear on the new centre. (Similar to e-locker install)

If your changing ratios you will need to replace both the pinion and ring gear and there is more involved in setting backlash and the pinion up.

With both of the last scenarios it is entirely up to you if you want to change bearings, if they are any good or not, but for the price of a couple o bearings its a might as well do it while the diff is out job IMO.

Why are you changing centres? Are you putting in a diff lock at all? While your going to the effort to remove it all it might be a good time to consider one.

Covo71
28th January 2015, 10:16 AM
Going from 4.1 to 4.3. Back diff is 4.3 ,front is 4.1. hence the change. Front is going to 4.3. But if replacing whole centre is it straight out and straight in?

Stropp
28th January 2015, 07:46 PM
Going from 4.1 to 4.3. Back diff is 4.3 ,front is 4.1. hence the change. Front is going to 4.3. But if replacing whole centre is it straight out and straight in?

yes if doing the whole centre its a matter of one out one in.

happygu
28th January 2015, 07:55 PM
Probably take you around 4 - 6 hours at home ... gotta pull both axles, which means dismantling hubs too.....

Then you can change the centres over

Have you thought about installing a front difflock whilst you are at it?

Covo71
28th January 2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I will give it a crack. Can't afford the locker at the moment. Too much of a stretch. Wifey was not really happy with the $500 for a second hand diff centre. Go figure.

GQ TANK
29th January 2015, 01:49 PM
Another cheaper option (if you can get your hands on one). Get a LSD centre from a MK patrol rear (h233b) diff - it what I have in the front opf my patrol. It is not as good as a locker - but still a big improvement over a standard open diff.

mudnut
29th January 2015, 02:49 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but how does the LSD perform in slippery conditions? Does it try to drive the inner wheel when turning? I have an LSD sitting in my shed but I am a bit hesitant in fitting it. Did you have to modify anything or did it fit straight in?

Covo71
29th January 2015, 04:15 PM
Didn't know you could put a LSD in the front. Already bought a replacement centre. Locker will come a bit later than sooner.

Scorpiovee
29th January 2015, 09:30 PM
If you're thinking of a locker, and cash is tight, look at a lock rite Lokka. http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29
Easy to install and cheap

mudski
30th January 2015, 03:38 PM
Didn't know you could put a LSD in the front. Already bought a replacement centre. Locker will come a bit later than sooner.
I think some people were also using Navara rear LSD centres for the Patrol fronts if my memory serves me correctly....

Sorry for the hijack, but how does the LSD perform in slippery conditions? Does it try to drive the inner wheel when turning? I have an LSD sitting in my shed but I am a bit hesitant in fitting it. Did you have to modify anything or did it fit straight in?
Guess you better fit it mate and tell us all how it goes....:SNruQWn369624407: Lol.

MudRunnerTD
30th January 2015, 05:31 PM
What you really want to get is a full 3rd member already setup. Pull the CVs and axles out of the centre and leave hanging. Unbolt the 10 bolts around the 3rd member diff centre and drop out. lift in the new one, bolt up, reinsert the axles, fit off, all done. Drive away. Bugger trying to swap out Crown Wheel and Pinion gears, let a shop do that.

Covo71
30th January 2015, 09:45 PM
Bought this. Hope it is as good as they say it is. I am thinking I shouldn't have to do anything but bolt it in. 54603

the evil twin
30th January 2015, 09:54 PM
snip...I am thinking I shouldn't have to do anything but bolt it in.

Thinking only ever gets me into trouble so I stopped.