PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

gene
25th January 2015, 04:37 PM
I have just purchased a 1998, 4.5 liter Patrol and would like to know which Spark Plugs are recommended by the Forum.

threedogs
25th January 2015, 04:43 PM
This info should be in the archives have a search and see what you come up with.
The intro apparently isnt compulsary but its appreciated being polite and all before asking questions

mjr350
25th January 2015, 04:55 PM
NGK BPR5E-11

In my opinion don't bother with iridium or platnum plugs. They're only out there for engines that are hard to change plugs on or risk breaking expensive leads. My VY LS1 needs 100,000km iridium plugs only because changing standard plugs every 15,000km will most certainly lead to broken leads and the rear drivers side plugs are a nightmare to change. A spark is a spark.

gene
25th January 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks threedogs. Gene

4bye4
25th January 2015, 06:35 PM
NGK BPR5E-11

In my opinion don't bother with iridium or platnum plugs. They're only out there for engines that are hard to change plugs on or risk breaking expensive leads. My VY LS1 needs 100,000km iridium plugs only because changing standard plugs every 15,000km will most certainly lead to broken leads and the rear drivers side plugs are a nightmare to change. A spark is a spark.

What he said times 2 NGK BPR5E-11

jff45
25th January 2015, 07:15 PM
The '11' indicates that they are gapped to 1.1mm

mjr350
26th January 2015, 06:50 AM
The '11' indicates that they are gapped to 1.1mm

That also doesn't mean you should rely on the factory setting. Always double check with a gauge. Ive pulled a plug out of the box once to find that it was almost closed up.

jff45
26th January 2015, 08:37 AM
That also doesn't mean you should rely on the factory setting. Always double check with a gauge. Ive pulled a plug out of the box once to find that it was almost closed up.

And I've seen cases (yes, more than once) where even professional mechanics have hit the side of the plug hole and closed the gap..

Forgot to mention, I gap mine to 0.8..

mjr350
26th January 2015, 08:16 PM
Is your reduced gap due to forced induction?

jff45
26th January 2015, 10:44 PM
Is your reduced gap due to forced induction?

Impending forced induction..

gene
3rd February 2015, 07:01 PM

Thanks guys.
I had a good look at my 4.5 engine today and found the spark plugs. What do I need to remove to gt to the spark plugs.
Thanks Gene

mjr350
4th February 2015, 12:41 AM
Nothing from memory if you have a few extension bars and a uni joint thingy. I might have removed the intake tube but I can't remember.

gene
4th February 2015, 09:46 AM
Nothing from memory if you have a few extension bars and a uni joint thingy. I might have removed the intake tube but I can't remember.

Thanks. I do have those things including the uni thing. I will have a go soon, Gene.

mjr350
4th February 2015, 10:07 PM
Get in and give it a go.
Try a small length of fuel hose or even garden hose as a plug starter. Put the plug in the end of the hose and locate the hole tgst way.
The humble tb45 is a piece of piss to change plugs on after upgrading from a vy one tonner with an LS1. The rear 2 plugs on the drivers side up near the booster have a few pieces of skin still attached.

gene
9th February 2015, 06:13 PM
Get in and give it a go.
Try a small length of fuel hose or even garden hose as a plug starter. Put the plug in the end of the hose and locate the hole tgst way.
The humble tb45 is a piece of piss to change plugs on after upgrading from a vy one tonner with an LS1. The rear 2 plugs on the drivers side up near the booster have a few pieces of skin still attached.

Thanks mjr350. I will have a go soon. I think I have a bit of plactic see through through hose that will do the trick.

Chubba
2nd August 2015, 02:08 AM
And I've seen cases (yes, more than once) where even professional mechanics have hit the side of the plug hole and closed the gap..

Forgot to mention, I gap mine to 0.8..

jff45 You wouldn't happen to know the gap for lpg ?

jff45
2nd August 2015, 07:53 AM
No mate, never used LPG..

garett
2nd August 2015, 09:38 AM
jff45 You wouldn't happen to know the gap for lpg ?

0.8 gap for lpg what i use for nearly all lpg engines

jay see
12th August 2015, 11:46 PM
0.8 gap for lpg what i use for nearly all lpg engines

I send this to NGK.

*Hello,

I looked up my vehicle a 1997 GU Nissan Patrol 4.5lt and it can up with
part # BPR5EIX-11.
However I'm dual fuel and would like to know what plugs do you recommend
for me.
Thanks
John