PDA

View Full Version : Back on road but major problem HELP !

cadman342001
25th January 2015, 10:49 AM
Hi there,

After 2 long years I have finally got our GU 2.8TD back on the road, changed the clutch myself (engine and box out with block n tackle), all went back in smoothly and it even started !

Problem though is that when it's been driving for say 10k it feels as if something is binding and it gets that bad that it slows the car down until it stops and it feels as if the brakes have locked or the handbrake is on. Let it cool for an hour and it's ok again. Just driving around locally it seems to be ok.

I thought initially it was the brakes binding but have stripped and rebuilt all 4 corners twice including popping out brake caliper pistons etc.

What do you think it could be ? I'm suspecting that maybe the auto hubs are locked or something resulting in binding in the drive train as if it's stuck in 4WD even though the lever is set at 2H.

Please help as we have a trip down to Brissie/Fraser Island etc. next month and our other car is a Getz !

Andy

PS - I know nothing about 4WDs !

krbrooking
25th January 2015, 11:18 AM
Prob need a bit more info mate. Like is it doing it while in gear or out of gear as well? Is there any smells or smoke caused. Have you jacked up the car/tyres and rotated them to see if they are still binding. Off the top of my head I would check the hubs are not sized or too tight or tail-shafts the same. All depends on the other symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

threedogs
25th January 2015, 12:14 PM
Most things are designed to rotate and enhance your forward motion.
Can only see brakes as a reason for binding and slowing the car down
What type of Hand brake system does it have?? tailshaft disc/drum??

I think the hand brake is adjusted too tight. Disconnect it and try again
but only do one thing at a time.

the evil twin
25th January 2015, 12:27 PM
Next time it does it, stop and walk around the vehicle and feel the hub temps.
They should be warm to the touch not uncomfortably hot.
If you have an odd one out there is a problem.
I actually have a laser temp gun these days, handy bit of kit for sorting problems.
A hot hub will be wheel bearings or dragging brake not FWH

If the hubs are locked you will know it at anything above about 60 to 80 K's on bitumen.
You can easily hear and feel the all the front drive train turning.
If you need to double check then get someone to roll the car forward while you watch the front tranny shaft, it shouldn't turn in 2H and FWH unlocked
Having said that, a FWH locked in will create a small amount of drag but it should do it all the time, not just when you drive a fair distance

Dragging hand brake you will need to dive under and again check the temperature.
If it is binding it will be hotter 'n hell.

threedogs
25th January 2015, 12:31 PM
heres a thermo gun about $16 on Ebay, does the Patrol smell like its hot or burning
any clues like that

the evil twin
25th January 2015, 12:58 PM
Hiya TD,

Yeah, the guns are super cheap these days and awesome for sorting out issues with running gear, under bonnet, cooling system, bad elec connections etc etc

threedogs
25th January 2015, 01:04 PM
Yo ET I use it for the camp oven lately, more a toy but gives you ballpark readings IMO

happygu
25th January 2015, 11:15 PM
First thing I would look at is the handbrake assy on the centre tailshaft, as this will definitely cause these symptoms if it is overadjusted