PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings and swivel hub seal replacement

Paul Wiltshire
11th March 2011, 03:04 PM
Hi,
I am new here and also not a full bottle on mechanical stuff yet. I have a mechanic mate willing to help on the weekend to change my front wheel bearings and swivel hub seals. I am in Perth, WA. Anyone out there that can help me with drawings or views on this job. I have tried to buy a manual but no success yet.
Cheers to all,
Paul.

YNOT
11th March 2011, 03:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Paul.
Check this thread; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Tony

Dhuck
11th March 2011, 03:12 PM
Noticed this is your first post. You might want to put a post in the introductions and introduce your self. Any how welcome to the forum mate

Silver
11th March 2011, 08:58 PM
not sure from your post what model patrol you have, however GQs have king pin plugs in the swivel housings on the end of the diff. You need to get something past them to knock out the king pin bearing cups. If it is the same as the GQ, you will see some scallops in the circle machined into the swivel housing. Carefull application of a screwdriver shaped drift may get the cups out without damaging the king pin plugs - if not, they are available from Nissan for about $30 each..... if you follow the manual and use a big brass drift you will destroy the plug for sure - I know this because I did it the weekend before last :-) knew I should have thought more about those scallop cut outs - I destroyed the first one but saved the other three, plus all 4 on the mates I did last weekend. While you are at it, you may as well think about wheel bearings, brake pads, rotors, caliper sliders etc - there are some interesting kits available on line.

I am a relative mechanical mug, and did mine ok.