PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified loose wire from alternator

lachiek
11th March 2011, 09:52 AM
Hey, hoping some bright sparky can identify this wire and attached thing which has come loose near the alternator.
I want to know what it is, what it does and does it look broken? If not I'll zip tie it somewhere safe...

Cheers, Lachie

Bigrig
11th March 2011, 09:54 AM
Not sure what it is for mate, but from that second shot, it looks like it has borken off a mount. I'd be tieing it up in the interim just to be safe.

lachiek
11th March 2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks mate, yeah it's definitely snapped off. Can't find where it was mounted and no idea how it broke - protected position and weighs about 10 grams!

BillsGU
11th March 2011, 12:31 PM
Looks like a Radio Interference suppressor. It looks like a piece of the mounting bracket has broken off (probably due to vibration). You will most likely find the rest of it under a screw somewhere within the radius of the length of the wire. Get another one from Repco / Supernotsocheap / Autowhatsit or any auto elec.

Dhuck
11th March 2011, 12:48 PM
Looks like a Radio Interference suppressor. It looks like a piece of the mounting bracket has broken off (probably due to vibration). You will most likely find the rest of it under a screw somewhere within the radius of the length of the wire. Get another one from Repco / Supernotsocheap / Autowhatsit or any auto elec.

My thoughts exactly

big_fletch
11th March 2011, 01:57 PM

That's exactly what it is.. It's a noise suppressor.. the wire will run to the main battery bolt on the back of the alt and the unit just bolts to earth.. they are used to cancel out small voltage spikes ect that might cause interference (like static in radio)..

lachiek
11th March 2011, 02:47 PM
You guys are legends thanks! Turns out I've been looking to replace my aerial cause the reception is so bad...

Shouldn't it still work even though the mount broke off?

BillsGU
11th March 2011, 03:30 PM
Nope - it wont work unless one end is earthed (the case) and the other end is connected to the power rail (+12 volt). With it not connected you may get alternator whine - a noise in the radio (and even in the CD player in some cases) which gets worse as you rev the engine.

lachiek
11th March 2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks mate. I think you just saved me buying a new aerial!

MS29431
12th March 2011, 12:28 AM
Dont mean to flog at dead horse but yeah
it' s a noise supressor

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 12:29 AM
Dont mean to flog at dead horse but yeah
it' s a noise supressor

Flog it brother!! It's dead .. it won't feel it!! LOL

Clunk
12th March 2011, 12:33 AM
I was thinking about flogging it too, to make me feel useful hahahahaha

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 12:34 AM
I was thinking about flogging it too, to make me feel useful hahahahaha

At least you guys knew what it was .. I just knew that it looked broken!! lol

Finly Owner
12th March 2011, 12:36 AM
Yeah but that's because it wasn't an expensive mod so why worry about it? + it was already on yours!
LMFAO

Clunk
12th March 2011, 12:36 AM

at least you knew it looked broken, I couldn't have even guessed that hahahaha.................. now I'm gonna stop before i get in trouble again hahahaha

Bigrig
12th March 2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah but that's because it wasn't an expensive mod so why worry about it? + it was already on yours!
LMFAO

Now now children ... Mines probably broken too. And if not, I'm sure I could break it just as easily!! LOL

Finly Owner
12th March 2011, 12:44 AM
Now now children ... Mines probably broken too. And if not, I'm sure I could break it just as easily!! LOL

No I don't think that's likely as it is about to fall off with your alternator attached! hahahahahahahahahahahahahah