PDA

View Full Version : New Winch installation

toucan
16th January 2015, 05:30 PM
Hello,

My new Patrol Titanium LE has come with a Warn XD9000 electric winch. Due to the design of the genuine Nissan bulbar, the winch has been fitted back the front with the motor on the right when facing the vehicle. It is front mounted with the power leads going into the top of the winch motor. I have been informed by a 4WD business here that the drum will now be in the wrong position and either taken off and the drum rotated, or the drain hole which will now be upward facing, filled with silicone to stop water entering. I cannot look/find the drain holes due to plates covering the area and trying to get any sense out of Nissan is very, very difficult. Anyone else had experience with this please?

Toucan

the evil twin
16th January 2015, 06:03 PM
Unless whoever fitted the Winch rotated the motor in accordance with the installation instructions, yes, the drain hole won't be at 6 O'clock and the motor will fill with moisture. mud and grot.

You will also need to check that the cable is wound on in the correct direction and that the cable entry is straight onto the drum and doesn't do a 45 to 90 degree turn between the fairlead and drum

Dr Gary
17th January 2015, 10:22 AM
I have a Warn winch on my GU genuine bull bar. Basically you need to mount the winch "upside down" so the cable comes off the under side and lines up with the fairlead. My control lever is now on the drivers side. I "think" I needed to rotate that end to get the lever on top.
You will also need to create a new drain at 6 o'clock and block the existing drain. That means removing the side plate--no big issue.
I talked with Warn in the US for guidance on this.
A pain but two amateurs did it on a Saturday morning--cables were the biggest bear.
Enjoy!!

threedogs
17th January 2015, 02:02 PM
@ Dr Gary have you thought about pumping some air into it for water crossings.
I'm told an old air horn pump will work wonders. As we know water kills a lot of things 4x4.

toucan
17th January 2015, 05:34 PM
I'm told an old air horn pump will work wonders. As we know water kills a lot of things 4x4.

Thanks for all info. Looks like I have some work to do.

toucan

the evil twin
17th January 2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all info. Looks like I have some work to do.

toucan

I would have said your installer has some work to do...
Step 1 take it back
step 2 tell them "fix it"
step 3 pick up and enjoy

Dr Gary
18th January 2015, 10:54 AM
I could find an air source no problem, just can't quite visualize how it would all come together. It would need some kind of inlet port (both ends??) and then not sure if it would need to deflate when I exit the water. The control box/switch is a bigger issue for me--wont fit under the hood, can't seal it satisfactorily.
Too much stuff, too many options---but it is all good fun