PDA

View Full Version : Using oldish diesel.

Jimmyboyjr4
16th January 2015, 10:42 AM
So I'm an idiot and severely under budgeted my pay this fortnight between going overseas in a few weeks and the mortgage. I've got an old jerry can or two sitting in the garage from at the very latest February last year, would this be ok to use still? Or should I just ditch it, not take the risk and buy more? Prefer it no go to waste if possible.

Cheers,

Jimmy

MudRunnerTD
16th January 2015, 10:55 AM
Interesting question. Personally i would not think twice and put it in the car for sure, have done it. I am very interested in what others have to say though.

How much fuel is in the car now? will you be diluting it into a half full tank? regardless i would not hesitate.

threedogs
16th January 2015, 11:24 AM
Ive heard that diesel [44s] left at Trusscot Air field in the the Kimberly were still good from 1945.
Being oil based I would think go for it
Was on a Malcolm Douglas programme
Id put it in I think but might be more forgiving on mechanical diesels
more than say a Di or CRD

Sir Roofy
16th January 2015, 11:33 AM
so i'm an idiot and severely under budgeted my pay this fortnight between going overseas in a few weeks and the mortgage. I've got an old jerry can or two sitting in the garage from at the very latest february last year, would this be ok to use still? Or should i just ditch it, not take the risk and buy more? Prefer it no go to waste if possible.

Cheers,

jimmy

id use it but poor it through a gauze strainer just in case theres any flakes
from the jerrycans floating about when you tip it

4bye4
16th January 2015, 01:34 PM
Ive heard that diesel [44s] left at Trusscot Air field in the the Kimberly were still good from 1945.
Being oil based I would think go for it
Was on a Malcolm Douglas programme
Id put it in I think but might be more forgiving on mechanical diesels
more than say a Di or CRD

1945 diesel may have been better quality than what we have now? I don't know but I have thrown diesel here that is maybe two years old because it has a bad smell and a sort of mold in it.

Hodge
16th January 2015, 04:46 PM
When we recently moved into a new depot, we had to move 5-6 trucks that were sitting there for more than 12 months. Once we got them going they ran like s#it. Every single one of them. Once our mechanic came around, he knew straight away what was up. Fully drained the tanks, fresh diesel in and onwards and upwards. These are large trucks with big donks, so dont know if the patro would behave the same.

macca
16th January 2015, 05:23 PM
Beg, borrow, steal one of these... http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

Let your main tank run down to near empty, add 5 litres and test if it runs ok. If not fill the tank from a bowser to dilute it.

What I would do, even if it was a bit ordinary I would probably add 5 litres to each tank full to get rid of it

threedogs
16th January 2015, 05:33 PM
@ Macca thats looks handy if filling from 44s on the CSR or dodgy out back servos

Stropp
16th January 2015, 05:47 PM
i would chuck it in but leave the bottom couple of ltrs in case there is water or crap in the bottom of the jerry and throw a bit of diesel fuel additive in the tank.

macca
16th January 2015, 06:17 PM
@ Macca thats looks handy if filling from 44s on the CSR or dodgy out back servos

Yes that's exactly what we did. Had one for years, check servo fuel, gerrys, 44's what ever. Aviation industry use them for light planes, they are very susceptible to dirty fuel LOL
We also used one of these pumps
http://www.creativepumps.com.au/work/a_brand/rule-pumps/rule-il280p-pump.htm

Cuppa
16th January 2015, 07:53 PM
I had diesel sit in the tank of our bus for several years. When I turned the ignition key it fired up & ran no problem at all. I checked the fuel filter for water a short time after in case it condensation inside the tank had been an issue. It hadn’t because I’d kept the tank full.
Algae can grow in diesel in some conditions & will clog up filters. I’ve never seen it though.
If it’s algae & water free I reckon it’ll be just fine.

katwoman
16th January 2015, 11:44 PM
I'd use it on the bull ants...