PDA

View Full Version : Which mods should i be concentrating on getting first.

benmurphy
14th January 2015, 01:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I own a 99 Nissan Patrol GU DX 2.8L turbo diesel and just wanted some advice on mods. So far I have a cargo barrier, uhf, bulbar, snorkel, roof rack, awning, and my last purchase was a rooftop tent. I have a fridge and an air compressor but bother need to be hard wired.

On my wish list so far that I can think of from the top of my head are,

Rear drawers and fridge slide
dual battery system - 1
Get my compressor and fridge wired up - 2
water tank
new tyres - was thinking coopers or MT's - 3
new suspension and lift - 4
long range fuel tank
3 inch exhaust - 5
dynachip
front and rear air lockers
winch
lighting
sidesteps and side bars.

there is more but I cant think at the moment but there is plenty here to keep me going. I just need firstly advice on which ones should be priority from 1 to 5 and 1 being the most important. Ive numbered what I have thought would be most important but let me know if im off or on the right track. Thanks everyone look forward to hearing everyones opinion

benmurphy
14th January 2015, 02:17 AM
?....?.....?

Clunk
14th January 2015, 02:19 AM
First mods I did were a good set of 33" tyres and 2" suspension lift. Everything else were just accessories that I didn't really need. That was on my first GQ, still have it and no other mods have been done really but hoping to keep it as My weekend toy. My other GQ is more of the family tourer for lugging the camping gear and family around, it's also my daily driver, again 33s and 2" lift. Accessories wise, roof rack, awning, dual batteries, fridge. Don't have a drawer system yet but that's on the list.

Seeing as you've got a fridge already would be a shame not to use it so auxiliary battery is a good idea.
Some decent recovery points front an rear are a priority, as well as some recovery gear.......
At the end of the day it all depends on what you're going to do, where you're going and what you want to achieve.

My advice to you would be to sit down and work out what accessories are important and which ones are just a "would like to have". There's alot of stuff out there that isn't really necessary.

benmurphy
14th January 2015, 02:34 AM
Thanks mate.

Ill just basically be using it to cart the wife and 2 young daughters around. But I like exploring and going off road and basically want something that is going to go anywhere I want to take it. I'll use it for towing and driving on beaches, dunes, corrugation, mud and rock climbing. I have a pretty good recovery bag already but definitely need some more recovery points.

Would I be able to fit 35's without upgrading anything else or are they too big? If so what 33's do you recommend? As I said before I was thinking MT Deegan38 or ATZ or a set of Coopers. Also what brand suspension lift would you recommend and could I fit it myself? With the dual battery system I was thinking of getting ARB to do it, what you think??

katwoman
14th January 2015, 04:20 AM
Mate, Suspension and tyres are never ending. If I were you, I'd spend a lazy afternoon surfing this website. Most of the info you want would be found here some where. Use the search box.
Unfortunately when it comes to 4x4s, evey one is different. I fitted my own dual battery system ( projecta) with hubby fitting up the battery tray for me. Basically, spend the next month reading.......

growler2058
14th January 2015, 04:44 AM
Rated recovery points
Tyres
Lift
35's not legal Over 2" lift not legal
35's may fit on standard suspension but WILL rub

BigRAWesty
14th January 2015, 07:19 AM
Welcome mate.
That seems a good list. Growler has pointed out the legalities so it's up to you if you break them or not. Lol.

In that list most of those things are do-able yourself. Of course bar work will be bought and pays to have it installed especially when airbags are involved.
But if you have some tools or are willing to buy some then you can do most the work yourself.

Search threw the diy thread for lots of draw builds, winch installs, led light installs. Etc

Anyway mate enjoy the forum

megatexture
14th January 2015, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I own a 99 Nissan Patrol GU DX 2.8L turbo diesel and just wanted some advice on mods. So far I have a cargo barrier, uhf, bulbar, snorkel, roof rack, awning, and my last purchase was a rooftop tent. I have a fridge and an air compressor but bother need to be hard wired.

On my wish list so far that I can think of from the top of my head are,

Rear drawers and fridge slide
dual battery system - 1
Get my compressor and fridge wired up - 2
water tank
new tyres - was thinking coopers or MT's - 3
new suspension and lift - 4
long range fuel tank
3 inch exhaust - 5
dynachip
front and rear air lockers
winch
lighting
sidesteps and side bars.

there is more but I cant think at the moment but there is plenty here to keep me going. I just need firstly advice on which ones should be priority from 1 to 5 and 1 being the most important. Ive numbered what I have thought would be most important but let me know if im off or on the right track. Thanks everyone look forward to hearing everyones opinion

I think your on the money with that list and if your going solo maybe the winch next and if your trucks straight sliders after that so it stays straight and above all maintenance no point having all the bells and whistles when your radiator hoses/belts are old and cracked bearings shot etc

threedogs
14th January 2015, 08:53 AM
My main accessory was a dual battery system so I could go camping and have some cold drinks and lights.
After fitted all the heavy things I'd then get suspension sorted, and tell them at the time if you intend yo tow
and they will factor that into your coil rating.
Cargo barrier so you can pack to the roof and keep every up front safe.
PM for any info on rated recovery points.
Your complete list would make a great Outback tourer, but keep in mind that list means extra weight as well

TPC
14th January 2015, 09:17 AM
I have had drawers put in by TJM at St Mary's and found them to be good.
I had OME suspension and long range tank put in by ARB at Morphett Vale and had no problems with them either.
I have always had a good run with BFG tyres and OME suspension but everybody has their own opinions on those, lots of threads on here debating which is best.
Have had a bad experience with Coopers on a work vehicle, got rid of them after 50,000 Km with tread still on them because of side wall movement made them unsafe and they would not honor warranty.

happygu
14th January 2015, 09:33 AM
It all depends on what you want to do with your truck Ben.

For years, all I had was 2 inch lift suspension - to protect the body sills, and give me a little more clearance, and I ran standard 31 inch tyres - because most of my running around was in flat desert country.

Now, I am always up in the Victorian High Country, I run 33's with my suspension lift. On my first solo trip up into the Vic High Country I ran myself into a fair bit of trouble - couldn't get the truck out, and had to abandon it and walk out till I found someone. This made me quickly realize that I needed to be self sufficient so I went and bought a winch ..... getting stuck always starts to sort out your priorities :hpfredgeorge1:

I think that your list is pretty good to start off, but I would do the following basic mods to get you going, and then reassess after doing a few trips - finding out what you like doing, and will continue to do, and then go from there
1 : 2" Lift Suspension
2 : Air Compressor
3 : Dual Battery System to cater for Fridge and Accessories
4 : Tyres

My list of mods is as long as my arm, as I now have heaps of gear in my truck, but I have built these mods up over a twenty year period - based on need, and not on magazines or what the bloke down the road has.

Things I don't have that I would like are Lockers, but for most of my trips they aren't needed. If I do get a locker, it will be front only - as I don't want to lose the benefits of the Nissan rear LSD......

Mic

Hodge
14th January 2015, 07:04 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with your truck Ben.

Nailed it right there mate.
Buy / install stuff as you need it. That way you will work out what to get next as you go ...

mattpatrol
15th January 2015, 11:02 PM
The winch would be my first priority as it gets you out of the gutter especially if you travel solo like me. When you do get them post up how much it was to fit and buy as I am planning on getting one myself.

happygu
15th January 2015, 11:18 PM
The winch would be my first priority as it gets you out of the gutter especially if you travel solo like me. When you do get them post up how much it was to fit and buy as I am planning on getting one myself.

Matt,

In my opinion you can do a lot with an air compressor and different tyre pressures - fix a leaky tyre, travel further in a lot more comfort, climb rocky or sandy hills, gain much better traction, meaning I would go a good quality compressor first so you can pump the tyres back up when you need to.

25 PSI for good dirt tracks
17 PSI for sand

you can also drop as low as 8/9 PSI for emergency situations to extract yourself out of sticky situations, as long as you dont try to steer left or right so your beads dont drop off the rim.

Mic

Rock Trol
16th January 2015, 01:01 AM
I second the air compressor and deflator as being a priority. Airing down to suite the conditions (and then back up) would have to be the best off-road alteration you can do to the car when off the black top.
Anything else just adds to it.

happygu
16th January 2015, 09:08 AM
You could put it in a different way ... I use my compressor every time I go out, and most often multiple times ..... I can't remember the last time I used my winch ( probably because I manipulate the tyre pressures to suit the conditions ), but it is great knowing it is there when I need it.

For $400 tops, it is a great bit of kit, and essential too.

threedogs
16th January 2015, 09:17 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121289905100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I'll be buying this when funds allow. good thing other than tyre inflation you can blow dust off gear or airfilters if in a bind.
I'll be fitting a 2-3 gallon tank underneath very soon . You could even run air tools to a certain degree.
Be wary if you mount the compressor under the bonnet as under bonnet temps may trip the thermal switch in the pump.
You might be better making a purpose built box for your compressor to keep it nice and clean and easy to store

happygu
16th January 2015, 09:25 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121289905100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I'll be buying this when funds allow. good thing other than tyre inflation you can blow dust off gear or airfilters if in a bind.
I'll be fitting a 2-3 gallon tank underneath very soon . You could even run air tools to a certain degree.
Be wary if you mount the compressor under the bonnet as under bonnet temps may tri the thermal switch in the pump.
You might be better making a purpose built box for your compressor to keep it nice and clean and easy to store

John,

Mine is under the bonnet, and has been fine as I mounted it away from the Turbo side - so it can work fine .... but I do like your advice.

I am a space junky, so I like to have it all sorted and permanently mounted, but friends who I regularly go away with have theirs in plastic boxes they pull out of the back of the truck, or have them mounted in the cab under the passenger seat .... so I say find a good spot that works for you - as long as you have one.

threedogs
16th January 2015, 09:35 AM
My mate in an 80 had his under the bonnet and would not work
so It all depends which style pump you get in the first place.

Not many places to mount a pump under the bonnet if your dual fuel ABS or dual batteries.
I had the "big Black pump" thats what its called and recessed it in the 1/4 panel of my other
4x4 boy was that a great pump, Cuppa has the same. I brought mine easy 20 years ago now.
The pump I have atm is shite cuts out after 5min if that. Thats why I'm buying the other one.
Ill pull mine aprt and see if it'll work without the thermal overload

Avoid using your compressor via a 12v cigarette plug it wont cut the mustard
fit a 50 amp anderson style plug or fit strong alligator clips for direct connection to your battery

liftlid
16th January 2015, 05:02 PM
I would class a compressor as recovery/ required equipment more than a mod.
The first mod you need is decent Tyers and then learn to drive off road.
find out what terrain you like to drive.
then decide on what mods you need

threedogs
16th January 2015, 05:15 PM
@ Ben you haven't said what you want to use your Patrol for.
It is possible to have a high country/tourer.
You may have a different take on things, we are waiting to hear from you.
Seeing you ticked water tank I take you want to be able to get somewhere and stay for a few days or a week

mattpatrol
17th January 2015, 09:40 PM
Matt,

In my opinion you can do a lot with an air compressor and different tyre pressures - fix a leaky tyre, travel further in a lot more comfort, climb rocky or sandy hills, gain much better traction, meaning I would go a good quality compressor first so you can pump the tyres back up when you need to.

25 PSI for good dirt tracks
17 PSI for sand

you can also drop as low as 8/9 PSI for emergency situations to extract yourself out of sticky situations, as long as you dont try to steer left or right so your beads dont drop off the rim.

Mic

Oh very true, totally forgot about the compressor and the deflator as it was the first thing I bought on the way back after I purchased the patrol because of my dune bashing days. But a winch gives me piece of mind even though I have not been bogged yet, but I couldn't get a tree out of the way on a track. With a winch It would have been a different story and I wouldn't have to turn around 😢