PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating exhaust (Vic)

Cuppa
13th January 2015, 08:39 PM
As mentioned elsewhere I’m intending to get the first section of my new exhaust ceramic coated (The dump pipe is already ceramic coated) to help protect the extended coolant hose (to the hot water service in the pod) from the exhaust heat which runs pretty close to it.

I have two places to get this done. High Performance Coatings (HPC) in Leongatha, & Jet Hot Coatings in Castlemaine. So far I have only been able to get a price from Jet Hot, seems HPC may still be on holiday, can’t get anything more than voicemail telling me they are not available. HPC have a very good reputation but Jet Hot, situated in the centre of Victoria’s ‘Hotrod region’ have been in business a long time & claim their process is the same as HPC’s. Jet Hot are also much closer, with an arrangement with a local freight company who charge only $15 each way. I would expect that HPC’s prices will be higher & and freight costs too.

So does anyone have any experience with Jet Hot - good or bad?
The bloke sounded ok on the phone, & his price seemed reasonable. He said to allow up to $100 per metre of 3” pipe + $10 per flange. So the 1.4m section of pipe would cost me about $160 (or less) + $30 freight. This is for unpolished silver finish good for up to 700 deg.C. There is a more expensive coating suitable for higher temps, I was assured that this is the temp up to which the coating stays on ok, & that both products would have much the same ability to contain heat - approximately 25% less on the outside of the pipe compared to the gas temp inside.

I’m tempted to just go with Jet Hot ‘cos I’m getting impatient waiting for HPC to be available. HPC do have a higher profile as well as a reputation, but given the coating is for practical purposes & not appearance I’m wondering if they would be worth any extra cost. Any extra questions I should be asking?

In the Genie pipe the braided flexible section is integral to the section of pipe I want to get coated, & Jet Hot sound confident that their coating is quite suitable to go onto it.

jack
13th January 2015, 08:51 PM
Go with Jet Hot Coatings in Castlemaine Cuppa, name rang a bell so I called the SIL in Broome. They used to be big in Hotrods and it's the first choice of the local Hotrod enthusiasts in Ballarat area.
SIL is very fussy and he's dealt with them personally to have his exhaust ceramic coated on his project car.

Cuppa
14th January 2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks AF, I sent the pipe off to them this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed, the freight service was a bit ‘loose’. Spoke to a chap on the phone & then dropped the pipe off at their yard together with payment for return freight in an envelope. So no receipt or anything to say they have it. Hope it doesn’t get lost!

TPC
14th January 2015, 06:42 PM
Cuppa are you going to fit the exhaust yourself or get someone to do it?

I received mine yesterday and am thinking I will pay someone to fit it, just not sure who yet.

Cuppa
14th January 2015, 07:17 PM
Cuppa are you going to fit the exhaust yourself or get someone to do it?

I received mine yesterday and am thinking I will pay someone to fit it, just not sure who yet.

Yes I’ll get mine fitted. I have a neck issue which makes laying on my back & working above me problematic, as well as a fear that if I snap off a stud from the turbo housing I’ll be stuck at home with an undriveable car. That said I’ve been doing as Matt suggested & squirting the studs & nuts with WD40 now & again. The recommended local place quoted me $60 per hour & reckoned two hours if studs are ok, & three if they are problematic.

Are you planning to get any tuning done once fitted?

megatexture
14th January 2015, 07:33 PM
That sounds fast cuppa I was told 3 hrs if studs are good 5 if a stud breaks , both my mechanic and genie said the same timeframe

TPC
14th January 2015, 07:33 PM
I will ask them about tuning when I get it done. $60 per hour seems really cheep, doubt I will find anyone to do it for that price.
I figure I should choose a place that has a dyno.

FNQGU
14th January 2015, 08:22 PM
Cuppa are you intending to somehow test the difference that the ceramic coating makes?

Cuppa
14th January 2015, 08:56 PM
That sounds fast cuppa I was told 3 hrs if studs are good 5 if a stud breaks , both my mechanic and genie said the same timeframe

I guess we’ll see how it pans out, but I would have thought once it’s up on a hoist a couple of hours would be plenty if the old one comes off ok. Broken studs are a different ball game. I suppose it depends how they break as to the time it takes to sort. But if Genie said 3 to 5 maybe I was told less but will end up getting charged for more.

Cuppa are you intending to somehow test the difference that the ceramic coating makes?

I suppose you are talking about performance? If so, no, I’m just putting my faith in what I’ve been told about the larger bore pipe running cooler, & the ceramic coating containing the heat better. My aim for ceramic coating is not performance increase, but rather to protect an extended coolant hose which runs close to the exhaust. Of course I am looking forward to a nicer car to drive, but have no way of differentiating between any difference the larger bore pipe & the ceramic coating might make.

I could put a laser temp gun onto the current exhaust & later compare a reading on the new exhaust, but basically ‘whatever will be will be’. The coating place told me that the ceramic coating is worth a 25% reduction in external pipe temperature from that inside the pipe.

megatexture
14th January 2015, 10:55 PM
Can you put up pics of the new ceramic coat as it will be interesting to see if there's much difference in appearance.

Cuppa
15th January 2015, 08:39 AM
Can you put up pics of the new ceramic coat as it will be interesting to see if there's much difference in appearance.

Will do when I get it back. I’m not expecting it will look much different, probably similar to the dump pipe but with less shine. If it were polished I’d expect it to look the same, but they reckoned the 3” pipe was too big for their polishing equipment, & I told them heat retention & longevity was more important than appearance. I think it is the ’Sterling’ coating in the following link, but with a matt finish. http://www.jet-hot.com.au/products.htm#JET-HOT%20Sterling

threedogs
15th January 2015, 08:55 AM
I had that coating on my other 4x4s block hugger header pipes I had it done inside and out.
It looks and feels like an aluminium finish and will go dull and grey over time but will take a while.
It worked well in my application as that was to get heat out of the engine bay as I was getting "heat block"

FNQGU
15th January 2015, 10:50 AM
I suppose you are talking about performance? ...
I could put a laser temp gun onto the current exhaust & later compare a reading on the new exhaust, but basically ‘whatever will be will be’. The coating place told me that the ceramic coating is worth a 25% reduction in external pipe temperature from that inside the pipe.

Sorry, should have been more specific - I was wondering about the heat differences more than anything else. Did you stick a heat gun on your dump pipe before you removed it, or do you know your EGT's as an indicator to compare it to if you check surface temps again after the coating has been applied.

Would be interesting to see the actual difference.

Cuppa
15th January 2015, 11:38 AM
Sorry, should have been more specific - I was wondering about the heat differences more than anything else. Did you stick a heat gun on your dump pipe before you removed it, or do you know your EGT's as an indicator to compare it to if you check surface temps again after the coating has been applied.

Would be interesting to see the actual difference.

Sorry can’t add anything further. At the moment I still have a stock exhaust & dump pipe with no gauges. Comparing temps now with whatever I get now with the new exhaust & dump pipe using a heat gun would show any difference, but it would be impossible to know how much of any difference was a result of the larger diameter pipe, the dump pipe coating, or the extra pipe coating. Then there’s ambient temps, how long/hard the motor’s been run etc. Too many variables to make it worthwhile.

Cuppa
22nd January 2015, 03:37 PM

Here you go MT, I got the pipe back today.The cost in the end was less than what he’d said on the phone. $144.00. Top as supplied by Genie. Bottom ceramic coated. Hope it’s as good as it’s cracked up to be.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54212&stc=1