PDA

View Full Version : Oil warning light sender - is this it ?

ptchev
11th January 2015, 06:41 PM
G'day guys,

I'm hoping that someone on here with a bit more mechanical knowledge that me can help me identify a problem that I'm having.

I have a 95 RX wagon with a 2.8lt turbo diesel.

A couple of weeks ago the oil warning light came on.
the engine has oil in it and the oil pressure gauge is reading as normal.

I figured that it would be a failed oil warning light sender so I ordered a new one but the part that I received is very different to the one that I thought was the sender on my patrol.

I have (I hope) attached photos of what I think is the old Oil light sender, the oil light sender wire and the New sender.

Can anyone tell me if I'm looking at the rite part here or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether ?

Also. when I disconnect the wire (with the engine running) the light doesn't go out. Does that seem rite ?

Thanks,
Pete

Rumcajs
12th January 2015, 05:00 PM
Hi there,
I'm not familiar with RD28 but the new oil sender pictured is standard Nissan oil switch/sender which breaks ground when oil pressure is up.
So it seems that someone just fitted aftermarket unit once in a while if you are not original owner since new.

Easily checked with multimeter the sender on the filter housing if you are sure that oil pressure is up. If it does that (simply unplugging it should make the light to go out) means that it is possibly the wire which is shorted to ground somewhere so perhaps follow the wiring to see if it hasn't rubbed through somewhere on the engine block.

Anyway here is the map of senders/harness on RD28 on GU model though, but I can't see why it would be any different to GQ as Nissan just recycled engines when it changed from GQ to GU.

On your first picture the wire going up past oil filter seems like the wire for oil sender.

Cheers

ptchev
13th January 2015, 09:31 AM
Thanks Rumcajs,

So when the wire is earthed, the light comes on. That would mean that if the light is on when the wire is disconnected from the sender, then the wire is still earthed (shorted) somewhere.

Time to trace the wire back as far as I can and run a new one I think.

Cheers.