PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay cracks

elshago69
11th January 2015, 12:18 PM
Gday guys, just wondering if anyone has seen these cracks before or if it's a one off problem. It's a 2009 GU patrol wagon 3ltr

threedogs
11th January 2015, 02:00 PM
whats the history of the Patrol is it EX mines or anything like that.??

BillsGU
11th January 2015, 02:17 PM
Only time I have seen cracks like that is on a rally car. This car has done some serious off roading.

threedogs
11th January 2015, 02:23 PM
# Bill you think the chassis is bent???

happygu
11th January 2015, 02:41 PM
I have never seen it on a GU before, so that is a first.

However, the inner guards crack on the GQ ( usually on the actual bits over the wheels - not on the main support rails ) and I had that happen to mine as I spent three years in the Northern Territory ....... the things is I saw it on various truck up there too .... including the all Landcruisers at our work, and one of our two Patrols ... one of the cruisers was busted through in the middle of the centre door pillar, so it can happen to all vehicles.

I would be pulling off the front guards to see how far the cracks have progressed, as otherwise you may end up with a worse situation

Mic

threedogs
11th January 2015, 02:57 PM
Be nice to post up an intro too ,just something the forum asks of us all.
polite and all

BillsGU
11th January 2015, 02:59 PM
# Bill you think the chassis is bent???

It has certainly flexed. The entire front end would have had to move a fair bit to do that.

Clunk
11th January 2015, 03:00 PM
Be nice to post up an intro too ,just something the forum asks of us all.
polite and all

polite yes but not compulsory

elshago69
11th January 2015, 03:18 PM
Cheers for the replys I am new to the forum and its excellent. To my knowledge the car was used to service gas lines to and from moomba.

threedogs
11th January 2015, 03:31 PM
Flat desert country, how long have you had it??
Only cracks I've seen have been the inner guards on GQs with poorly installed battery cradles.
I never heard of GUs having the same problem

happygu
11th January 2015, 03:41 PM
Cheers for the replys I am new to the forum and its excellent. To my knowledge the car was used to service gas lines to and from moomba.

That will be the cause .... our work vehicles in the Territory spent all their time off bitumen patrolling the fences and the tracks, and weren't that old with damage that I couldn't comprehend for the lack of miles on them ... it was just the constant pounding of the corrugations

elshago69
11th January 2015, 03:42 PM
3 days, I knew the cracks were there. It's my first patrol. Just seeing if it was common

threedogs
11th January 2015, 04:04 PM
No its not common hope you brought it at a price that can justify some repairs
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to prevent it going further if thats possible.
Do you know someone with a mig welder?

elshago69
11th January 2015, 04:37 PM
Yeah picked it up really cheap at auction. I know a few welders that can put a plate patch but I want to take the guards off to check how far the crack goes.. how hard are the guards to take off?

happygu
11th January 2015, 04:47 PM
Yeah picked it up really cheap at auction. I know a few welders that can put a plate patch but I want to take the guards off to check how far the crack goes.. how hard are the guards to take off?

Not too hard really .... it is only a few bolts at the top and bottom, and screws in the wheel arches.

Bulbous
11th January 2015, 06:30 PM
I think that mine has a couple of similar cracks. I'll take a couple of pics and post them up.

Bulbous
11th January 2015, 07:32 PM
Got a couple of pictures of mine
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae196/Bulbous1/20150111_122213_zps339e45aa.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae196/Bulbous1/20150111_122155_zps4b6614b6.jpg

elshago69
11th January 2015, 08:01 PM
What model is yours mate?

katwoman
11th January 2015, 08:13 PM
And while the guards are off replace the door hinges. :)

Bulbous
11th January 2015, 08:17 PM
What model is yours mate?

GU7 I think. It's 2011 Model, TB48 Gulf Spec so it's left hand drive. Hence the differences inside

elshago69
11th January 2015, 08:25 PM
Fair enough.. I'll be taking the guards off tomorrow I'll keep posting.

Bulbous
11th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Fair enough.. I'll be taking the guards off tomorrow I'll keep posting.

Take & post Pictures please. Every time I tackle a "simple enough" job something horrible happens :)

BillsGU
11th January 2015, 09:50 PM
Flat desert country.........

Last time I was out that way there were LOTS of sand dunes that people like to launch off!! Especially in a company car .........................

Between Camerons Corner and Merty Merty I stopped counting dunes after 150 or so.

TimE
12th January 2015, 09:39 AM
Last time I was out that way there were LOTS of sand dunes that people like to launch off!! Especially in a company car .........................

Between Camerons Corner and Merty Merty I stopped counting dunes after 150 or so.

My thoughts too, she may have "flown" a fair few of her Ks.

happygu
12th January 2015, 10:08 AM
Hands up, who has gone and lifted their own bonnet to double check .....:coffeetime:

threedogs
12th January 2015, 11:18 AM
no as I know full truthful history.
Having said that I'll be looking for sure next time the bonnet is up
But dying to look lol

Hodge
12th January 2015, 11:40 AM
Hands up, who has gone and lifted their own bonnet to double check .....:coffeetime:

I had a look. lol Since my bonnet was up anyway when I saw the thread AND mine is a 2009 as well. No cracks on mine.

I have seen a GU with a passenger side crack, where the battery tray mounts up though. Not as bad as OP's.

On another note, are his troubles fixable? As in can it be simply welded up and painted considering it is a major structure fail?

threedogs
12th January 2015, 11:46 AM
I would think its fixable i would probable weld some kind of
gusset plate over that area after first welding and prepping those cracks
@ Growler you gave Agatha some air at Loveday did your GQ have any cracks like the OP?

elshago69
12th January 2015, 11:53 AM
Gday guys, I didn't take any photos. I didn't have to take the guard off all the way, just enough to see how far the crack went. It only goes for an inch under the guard. It can't go any further. All it needs is a good welder and then I'll put a patch over it, paint her up and she'll be good!

Cheers for all the replays