PDA

View Full Version : Bribie Island Inland Track ,Take Caution !

04OFF
10th January 2015, 11:13 PM
Was up at Bribie Island today, decided to take the inland track, and could not help notice that most of the track has now got "deep" trenches cut in on both sides .

I can only assume these have been put in place for added drainage, but to be quite frank, they are bloody dangerous, some would have to be over a metre deep and could really cause injury or a roll if you slid into one, to add to the danger, having a trench each side of the track, has now narrowed much of the track removing about a car width (2-3M) from the useable flat surface of the track, this makes safely passing oncoming traffic literally impossible in some stages now.

Look at the first pic, compare the size of the trench to my GU, then imagine my car on the angle that the trench is on if I slid into that ?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/blibie1.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/blibie2.jpg

I can't believe they have done this at all, or that anyone approved this a even remotely "safe" practice , we drove into the shallowest trench we could find (about half as deep of what most were), and the car was on a uncomfortable angle and wanted to rub flares on the adjacent bank, id hate to try a big trench towing a trailer !

So if your going to bribie soon at a busy period ,when there may be lots of traffic (e.g. Aus day) and especially if your towing (and so reversing is not a good option), I suggest you plan to go at low tide up the beach.

lhurley
10th January 2015, 11:22 PM
They had done the same a while ago, when i bought my patrol actually. Not quite that bad but it was still crazy.

Im going to have a guess and say that the people who approved it (if at all) have no idea about driving off road. My piece of paper says this is how it should be done

NP99
11th January 2015, 12:37 AM
I'll be at poverty point for the long weekend. Thanks for the heads up mate.

04OFF
11th January 2015, 08:27 AM
They had done the same a while ago, when i bought my patrol actually. Not quite that bad but it was still crazy.

Im going to have a guess and say that the people who approved it (if at all) have no idea about driving off road. My piece of paper says this is how it should be done

Yeh not sure what the deal is, just wait till you see that swamp area you pass through , they have dug out further/deeper on each side, and used this sand to built up the track even higher (over all those black pipes), so now its one lane for about a K with no safe passing or reversing, in fact, if you went off the track in this area and didn't crash, I doubt you would be able to get back up on the track easy (if at all).

I'll be at poverty point for the long weekend. Thanks for the heads up mate.

At least you don't have to go far to get to the poverty camp grounds , remember the bug spray out there (lol), Australia Day is normally crazy busy on Bribie (as you probly already know), we have no plans yet and often go to Bribie on AU Day ,so may even end up there for the day myself !

macca86
11th January 2015, 07:52 PM
Crazy. We were on bribie last Sunday. Got my yearly pass. The tracks were great wide and flat besides the swamp area you mentioned and I said the same to Jenni too how dangerous that was. But damn those gutters amazing what a week does

gaddy
11th January 2015, 09:55 PM
After spending time on NSW beaches going to feel crowded on bribie ! And no permit needed for the one's we visited ,

11 mile beach Iluka saw 6 cars all day

Also south Ballina 53770

megatexture
11th January 2015, 09:57 PM
Top spots those ones iluka would be my choice though

gaddy
11th January 2015, 10:06 PM
Yep so many great places , and no further than rainbow from home ,

NP99
11th January 2015, 10:15 PM
I
Yeh not sure what the deal is, just wait till you see that swamp area you pass through , they have dug out further/deeper on each side, and used this sand to built up the track even higher (over all those black pipes), so now its one lane for about a K with no safe passing or reversing, in fact, if you went off the track in this area and didn't crash, I doubt you would be able to get back up on the track easy (if at all).

At least you don't have to go far to get to the poverty camp grounds , remember the bug spray out there (lol), Australia Day is normally crazy busy on Bribie (as you probly already know), we have no plans yet and often go to Bribie on AU Day ,so may even end up there for the day myself !

Yeah, I'm taking quad double deet :) I'm not having anymore kids :)

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Also south Ballina 53770

I virtually grew up on Patches and Beswicks Beach.
We would head over to the Uncles farm, jump on the carry-all on the back of the Tractor and head down the beach whenever Dad came in early enough and go fishing etc.
Some Relo's are still on the Cane along there.
Brother is retired and has been getting some good catches over Xmas but sporadic.

gaddy
11th January 2015, 10:31 PM
Really enjoyed our time there , didn't fish much ( 9 kids that swim in the best gutters) got some good whiting though , we spent a week there , 3 days at Iluka , and 4 at Repton ( great fishing )

gaddy
1st March 2015, 11:06 PM
We were there today inland track is closed , and the lagoons have broken through on the beach again ,

04OFF
2nd March 2015, 01:40 PM
Yeh was there this weekend too Stevo (camped sat night), its great to see the lagoons flowing, 2nd lagoon was very "stagnant" and not good for much of anything.

The weekend before, even the ocean beach was closed to traffic thanks to marcia.