PDA

View Full Version : rb30 starts and runs but starves itself and stalls

mudslinga
10th January 2015, 07:26 PM
hey everyone im new to this forum and would like some advice on my gq its rb30 and duel fuel now wen i turn the ignition on the bowl in the carby fills up and it starts and runs but uses all the fuel in the bowl and it stalls i thought it could have been fuel pump but its filling the bowl any help would be muchly appreciated

mudnut
10th January 2015, 07:38 PM
There is a fuel pump relay situated behind the drivers side kick panel. It has a timer inbuilt that makes the fuel pump run for a few seconds until the oil pressure builds up. Check that the connector to the oil pressure sender is on and in good nick. Oh and head over to the intro section and tell us about yourself and your Patrol.

mudslinga
10th January 2015, 07:48 PM
cheers mate but which relay is it, their are three blue relays and which one is it, the TOP,MIDDLE or BOTTOM one??

mudnut
10th January 2015, 07:55 PM
Its the brown oblong one under the fuse panel next to the accelerator pedal. It has brown, white/red, black, green/ red, green and light green wires to it. The Green wire to the oil pressure switch on the engine block is the one I think has a fault or the oil pressure switch is faulty. Also check that the oil pressure is coming up too.

Edit; also check out the RB30 thread in the GQ/Y60 section.

mudslinga
10th January 2015, 08:34 PM
okay so i have checked it out and their isnt, there is no brown relay, but a plug that has all the colours that we needed, there is also a black little thing that has a green light when you turn the ignition on, n then turns off??

mudnut
10th January 2015, 09:18 PM
Okay, the wiring has been modified. Does the oil pressure rise when you start the engine?

Apart from that, there is the fuel return solenoid that lets the fuel return to the fuel tank at idle.

Since whoever did the conversion has modified the wiring, maybe they have also fitted an anti-theft cut out as well?

Maybe send a private message to Yendor, a very knowledgeable member of this forum.

Edit. I re-read the description of the fuel return solenoid and I had it wrong.

mudslinga
11th January 2015, 12:29 PM
cheers heaps for the info mate as im not the best with cars i been flat out trying to figure out wats goin on i now cant get the car to start i think the carby is flooded as the fuel is filling up the bowl to full i have no idea im stumped

mudnut
11th January 2015, 01:07 PM
As I edited my above post, the fuel return solenoid allows the fuel to return to the tank at idle. (Not what I wrote previously).

If you now think that the carby is flooding, does the engine blow black smoke before it dies? Black smoke indicates too much fuel.

GQ TANK
11th January 2015, 03:40 PM
With this fault "uses all the fuel in the bowl and it stalls" could be related to a partial block fuel filter. There is one at the carby where the fuel enters the carby, and I think one in line and possibly near the carby. (as I have a tb42 these is a difference in the fuel delivery, but the carbys are basically the same)

Could also be a fuel pump problem.

As its dual fuel, who is it running on LPG?