PDA

View Full Version : Coleman hot water on demand - submersible pump?

AB
10th January 2015, 07:41 PM
Google is not helping me!

Does anyone know of the pumps on the Coleman hotwater on demands are submersible?

Looks like its a pretty closed up pump but Mia knocked the collapsible bladder off the table last camping trip and the thread on the pump and bladder are a bit chewed and it leaks.

Can I just throw the pump itself in a water container???

MudRunnerTD
10th January 2015, 07:45 PM
i am sure i just put mine in teh bucket mate, been a long time since i have used it but it goes in the bucket for sure.

MEGOMONSTER
10th January 2015, 08:19 PM
100% submersible.
Used everyday while camping, sits in a 25 lt bucket the whole time.

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Yep agree ^^^^^ On mine you just need to make sure the "up" is facing generally "up"

Hodge
10th January 2015, 08:30 PM
Well my mate had it fully dunked in Howqua river, on our last trip up the high country. Still going strong. lol

AB
10th January 2015, 08:45 PM
Excellent, just got this from Kmart today to use.

Only thing I could find for the pump to fit inside, apart from a bucket.

MudRunnerTD
10th January 2015, 11:14 PM
I normally fill the bucket with cold or water then dump the pump in and recirculated until it's the right temp and happy days mate. That bottle is just something else to pack you don't need IMO.

megatexture
10th January 2015, 11:22 PM
We use a 15 ltr bucket , a 4kg bottle fits inside that easily and then the bucket goes in the bottle holder.

Just put some hose on the bottom of the bottle or some rubber inside the bucket or it will wear through a hole in the bucket.

AB
11th January 2015, 08:47 AM
I normally fill the bucket with cold or water then dump the pump in and recirculated until it's the right temp and happy days mate. That bottle is just something else to pack you don't need IMO.

It can just live in the camper with the Coleman. Only need to use it when the family comes along and there is ample room in the camper.

mjr350
11th January 2015, 10:31 AM
Setting up your shower tent next to a river or creek is the best part of glamping in winter. Your only limit is the amount of gas and battery so that's why you buy the 9kg adaptor and install a socket so you can plug an adjustable 12v adaptor inline with the 6v battery. (Unit doesn't work while on charge)

Also the pump can sometimes fail to pick up. If so, shake it back and forth in the water like your trying to revive a fish but faster.

threedogs
11th January 2015, 10:36 AM
If you had the correct tap could you re tap the thread thats compromised.??

threedogs
11th January 2015, 10:39 AM
Also the pump can sometimes fail to pick up. If so, shake it back and forth in the water like your trying to revive a fish but faster.[/QUOTE]

I take it you do this as there is a non return valve on it somewhere?

mjr350
11th January 2015, 10:44 AM
Im not sure. The water runs back out if you drain it. I possibly have crap in mine from a lot of creek pumping.

AB
11th January 2015, 12:39 PM
Yep the best thing I bought for that was the 9kg adaptor. Haven't really used it for showers much, mainly washing the baby bottles but I want to start using it for showers for the girls.

threedogs
11th January 2015, 12:53 PM
I would think any pump would benefit from a non return valve in the system somewhere

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 12:55 PM
Also the pump can sometimes fail to pick up. If so, shake it back and forth in the water like your trying to revive a fish but faster.

I take it you do this as there is a non return valve on it somewhere?

Im not sure. The water runs back out if you drain it. I possibly have crap in mine from a lot of creek pumping.

No return valve (I think they are worried about ice maybe blowing out the core overnight or when stored in cold climes) but they do have a float switch type setup, well. at least the earlier ones do.

Thats why you have to have the "this side up" of the Pump roughly "up"

The biggest problem with crap build up isn't in the pump.
The heat exchanger has very fine cores so it is very easy to block with algae, mud, leaf matter etc

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 01:06 PM
Yep the best thing I bought for that was the 9kg adaptor. Haven't really used it for showers much, mainly washing the baby bottles but I want to start using it for showers for the girls.

Best thing I bought was one of these adapters http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-For-Hunting-Camping-RV-Camper-Coleman-Grill-Patio-Heaters-/141457939860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ef8cdd94

Also, I agree with a prev post for showering.
Grab a large bucket or small bin/clothes basket and use the Coleman to heat the water in that IE both the pump and outlet are circulating in the bucket and warm that water to the desired temp.
Grab a 12 Volt Camping shower (the coleman is only a 6 Volt pump and the flow at above human head height is a tad sad) and use that for the actual shower.

mjr350
11th January 2015, 02:15 PM
I wonder if it would work if you replaced the pump with a 12v camp shower pump. The extra flow might require more gas to keep the same temp but I don't see how it won't work. I don't mean totally rewire the unit, just remove the old pump from the hose and disconnect the lead from the unit and somehow plumb the 12v pump to the hose running from separate 12v battery.

mjr350
11th January 2015, 02:16 PM
Best thing I bought was one of these adapters http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Propane-Refill-Adapter-For-Hunting-Camping-RV-Camper-Coleman-Grill-Patio-Heaters-/141457939860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ef8cdd94

Do you freeze the empty cylinder before filling?