PDA

View Full Version : Using a small solar panel to keep car battery topped up.

Winnie
10th January 2015, 03:12 PM
I saw today supercheap had some really small solar panels, as small as 2W for under $20
I thought about buying one, my car is only used every 1-2 months and thought it would be good to stop the battery from discharging. I don't know how much current leaks through the car at the moment but after a month or two it is a little slower to start.
I have spoken to cuppa before about leaving a large panel connected and he suggested that unless I was to keep an eye on the battery it is not such a good idea.
Is this small panel a good idea to plug in and forget about it?
I have dual batteries connected to a Redarc SBI12 and would be good to keep both batteries topped up, is this small panel going to be two small to trigger the battery isolator?

threedogs
10th January 2015, 03:20 PM
Those small panels that have been around for a while now will return One milli AH.
enough to keep your battery busy and stop it from sulphating the plates together
I would think

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 03:46 PM
I am not a big fan as they are usually unregulated and just rely on the constant drain to keep the panel output below open circuit voltage.
I would suggest one a little bigger - 5 Watts or so - to make sure it does pull in the SBI12.
Having said that, there should be bugger all leakage current on your Aux anyway

The baby Cteks or similar are the go IMHO.
$60 to 80 on Ebay
You need about a 3 to 5 amp rated jobbie but they don't pull anything like that when floating and hardly noticeable on the power bill.
The advantage is that the Chargers will manage the float charging much better than the dinky panels

Sir Roofy
10th January 2015, 04:20 PM
I used a 10w in the other camper to keep the batterys up never over chargedbut if your worried see andrew at traf autos and get a small regulator use the sun man the power has just gone up as of 1 jan

threedogs
10th January 2015, 04:31 PM
Jay Car also sell small panels I run an audio system in the back yard with one [20 watt]

Winnie
11th January 2015, 11:28 AM
I am not a big fan as they are usually unregulated and just rely on the constant drain to keep the panel output below open circuit voltage.
I would suggest one a little bigger - 5 Watts or so - to make sure it does pull in the SBI12.
Having said that, there should be bugger all leakage current on your Aux anyway

The baby Cteks or similar are the go IMHO.
$60 to 80 on Ebay
You need about a 3 to 5 amp rated jobbie but they don't pull anything like that when floating and hardly noticeable on the power bill.
The advantage is that the Chargers will manage the float charging much better than the dinky panels

My plan is to get a 120W folding panel for my travels so I will need a solar regulator then anyway. Is it worth getting a small panel and a regulator then for this reason? Bearing in mind the regulator will be needed regardless.

Getting 240V to the car is a bit of a pain, have to run a long extension lead from the shed to the car, along the footpath. And we have a puppy that would find that lead delicious... Lol

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 12:42 PM
My plan is to get a 120W folding panel for my travels so I will need a solar regulator then anyway. Is it worth getting a small panel and a regulator then for this reason? Bearing in mind the regulator will be needed regardless.

Getting 240V to the car is a bit of a pain, have to run a long extension lead from the shed to the car, along the footpath. And we have a puppy that would find that lead delicious... Lol

A solar solution is def the most convenient way forward in those circumstances.

You have many options, a small panel permanently on the roof of the truck with an el cheapo reg may be what your looking for.
Unlike camping or whatever, efficiency is pretty much irrelevant.

You can get Regs that will be perfectly adequate for $10 - $15 and 5 Watt panels for $20 - $25 on Ebay (add 50% or so for Aus prices).
Just cut the alligator clips off the panel and connect to the Reg and the Reg to the Battery
Again, efficiency is irrelevant so if the panel gets a couple of hours of Sun a day it's all sorted

Winnie
11th January 2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks mate! I don't suppose you could get some eBay links for me? I have no idea what to look for... Lol

the evil twin
11th January 2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks mate! I don't suppose you could get some eBay links for me? I have no idea what to look for... Lol

If you are happy to buy out of China/Honkers
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Auto-Swich-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger-Controller-Light-Regulator-PWM-12V-3A-/400531309485?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item5d4186c3ad
or
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-Charger-Battery-Regulator-Controller-12V-24V-10A-/161312536130?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item258ef9f642

Heres a 10 watt panel at a slightly higher price ($36) but any 5 Watt or better panel that catches your eye will do, solid, roll up, flexible,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Panel-12V-10W-with-Alligator-Clips-Battery-Charger-GENUINE-SUNTECH-CELLS-/181254244444?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item2a3398485c

Winnie
11th January 2015, 01:26 PM
Thank you kind sir!