PDA

View Full Version : One for the plumbers ...

Hodge
10th January 2015, 07:59 AM
3 of our taps in the house are playing up. One is a hot water up stairs, and a set of H & C downstairs. Turning tap on, A lot of the times sends no water out at all. other times you'll have to wind it out all the way, and only then it'll suddenly gush out.
Sometimes the ones down stairs when turned out, makes a horrendous pipe rattling noise behind the walls somewhere.
One of the taps upstairs has black s#it coming out. Not in the water, but out of the threads.
I know this could be the rubbers in the taps, but could there also be a potential leak elsewhere in the cavities somewhere , due to that rattling noise ??
All other taps in the house work perfectly fine.

I have that spindle assembly pictured below as spare, but don't know if it is the right one until I begin pulling s#it apart.
Keen on some advice! Thanks.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53695&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53696&stc=1

megatexture
10th January 2015, 09:36 AM
Not a plumber but I'd say your washers are farked, either replace the unit like you have or you could strip it down clean it out and just replace the washer and reseat the tap

http://www.bunnings.com.au/tap-reseater-cp17170b-tap-reseater_p4904593

It would cost you a few bucks to replace all the washers in your house

threedogs
10th January 2015, 09:42 AM
what style HWS do you have you may have air in the system and it needs bleeding

megatexture
10th January 2015, 10:06 AM
Just water hammer IMO only way to fix that would be to open the wall and refix pipe or soften it with one of those hammer aresstor http://www.bunnings.com.au/our-range/bathroom-plumbing/plumbing/tools/hammer-arrestors

You could try punching a hole in the wall and using expanding foam but a word of warning to much will seriously fark your walls!!!

my third 256
10th January 2015, 10:40 AM
washers is your trouble they have spread out and are jamming this is part of the hammering
as for the black shit take the shaft out of the chrome flange then undo from the outerspindle
and on the shaft is an o ring replace or replace with new complete spindle
also turn w/ machine cocks off and see if that makes a difference
you can get anty hammer devices to go on the w/machine that will help the rest of the house
having been a plumber for 40 years it is quite frustrating isnt it
also the washers in the toilet cistems mini cocks can do the same as the w/ machine and meed to be replaced
it will take some time to check but take your time mate
stephen

threedogs
10th January 2015, 11:11 AM
Turn water off first open what ever tap you want to repair pull the inner spindle from the outer
If you dont have industrial silicon grease a bit of Vaseline would work.
Re-grease spindles back spindle off as if tap open. If you dont when you tighten the outer it will bend and make it a throw away
Do you have a re-seating tool? I have one here you can use cut a new seat trying to remove as little as possible.
pop your new washer in and tighten the outer spindle, You can now close the tap. and turn water back on
It should be easy as to use , HINT never swing on taps to close them two fingers is more than enough pressure.
I recon I have changed 100k plus when working for the housing Commission

To pull that tap apart turn water off remove the "H" cap tap the handle off spin the chrome cover off, open the tap 2 turns then undo the spindle. grease all working parts cut new seat and reverse procedure

I have those taps here from a mate I can do pictures if you want

Stropp
10th January 2015, 11:24 AM
just a bit more advice, after turning off the mains, turn a tap on downstairs as well as upstairs to bleed the pipes first, that black shit is probably just the black rubber washer perishing.

jff45
10th January 2015, 12:41 PM
I got tired of those jumper valve type taps leaking and banging. I changed them all except the laundry taps to those ceramic flick mixers.
Just installed a new LG washing machine on the standard jumper valve taps and the hammer was really bad. Online advice said use ball valve taps instead with the shock absorbers. Works brilliantly, no hammer at all.

Hodge
10th January 2015, 02:41 PM
Phew, thanks for all the responses fellas... A lot to take on board !
Thanks for the instructions TD. I'll pull one apart and see how I go... I have a washer set here as well. Cheap as chips from Bunnings.

Few of you mentioned machine hammer. Culprit taps are no-where near the w/machine, even though they all branch from the same water system.
Can this still cause internal pipes to go spastic sometimes ?? Even though machine is not running at the time?

threedogs
10th January 2015, 03:13 PM
You'll be right the main thing to remember is to have the tap open when you re-install them.
That way you wont bend the spindle

BigRAWesty
10th January 2015, 03:37 PM
I'm a plumber.
All they have to remember is shot runs down hill.
Easy

Hodge
10th January 2015, 06:16 PM
I'm a plumber.
Easy

Some of them don't even understand that principle...

my third 256
11th January 2015, 09:39 AM
i use these on the w/ machine alot neater than those big bullets

threedogs
11th January 2015, 09:42 AM
Any up-dates yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???

jack
11th January 2015, 10:06 AM
Follow the advice from 'my third 256' he's spot on and it's the cheapest advice you'll get from a plumber.

Hodge
11th January 2015, 06:29 PM
Any up-dates yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???

Thanks all!
I haven't' had a chance to look at anything yet... It isnt life threatening. lol I will attack it sometime this week maybe.

my third 256
12th January 2015, 10:25 AM
forgot to say the black shit is coming from that little o ring inside the spildle and when replace dont forget to grease the o ring

jff45
12th January 2015, 01:22 PM
i use these on the w/ machine alot neater than those big bullets

I also tried those but they didn't work. I first tried the spring loaded jumper valves that were recommended by a plumber but they didn't work either.
It probably depends on how bad the hammering is. If you Google "water hammer arrestor" and check the images you'll see 99% are devices that use a piston or membrane to absorb the shock.

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 01:47 PM
I'm a plumber.
Easy

.... and to turn "Predictive Text" off.

BigRAWesty
12th January 2015, 03:53 PM
.... and to turn "Predictive Text" off.

It won't let me write s h i t as a word..

threedogs
12th January 2015, 04:00 PM
try poo poo or shite lol

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 04:05 PM
It won't let me write s h i t as a word..

Feel free to copy/paste as needed

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

threedogs
12th January 2015, 04:12 PM
come on man spit it out what you trying to say. rofl

Clunk
12th January 2015, 04:23 PM
Feel free to copy/paste as needed

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

Shit
SHIT
SHIT

It would appear that someone is trying to take over my mantle for dribbling shit ;):D

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 04:33 PM

BigRAWesty
12th January 2015, 04:47 PM
It would appear that someone is trying to take over my mantle for dribbling shit ;):D

And we can't have that sorta bullshit around here.

megatexture
12th January 2015, 07:17 PM
I also tried those but they didn't work. I first tried the spring loaded jumper valves that were recommended by a plumber but they didn't work either.
It probably depends on how bad the hammering is. If you Google "water hammer arrestor" and check the images you'll see 99% are devices that use a piston or membrane to absorb the shock.

I think most are pneumatic and some have a valve so preasure can be adjusted

the evil twin
12th January 2015, 07:48 PM
I think most are pneumatic and some have a valve so preasure can be adjusted

Dunno so much, most Plumbers I know are neurotic not pneumatic and they seem to blow a valve no matter what pressure.

(Jeez, I am in awesome form today)

Hodge
12th January 2015, 07:50 PM
Well this thread turned to... S#it ... LOL

megatexture
12th January 2015, 09:38 PM
Dunno so much, most Plumbers I know are neurotic not pneumatic and they seem to blow a valve no matter what pressure.

(Jeez, I am in awesome form today)

Your on fire today that's for sure lol

Hodge
18th October 2015, 03:20 PM
Ok folks. ressurecting this today as, I finally got around to fixing this. I have success on one of the 4 taps.... So I'm getting somewhere.

Now, I am having issues separating the Bell thing from the main tap on 3 of the taps... As you can see I have easily taken one of them off and managed to change washers and seals and tightened it up properly, however, on 3 taps I cannot get the Bell of....
When I try and undo it, the complete assembly comes out together with the Bell attached... and even on the bench I cannot undo the 2 apart.
Any tricks and tips ???

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62027&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62028&stc=1

threedogs
18th October 2015, 03:24 PM
You'll need a set of 6" footprints , dont forget to loosen spindle first

Hodge
18th October 2015, 03:28 PM
You'll need a set of 6" footprints , dont forget to loosen spindle first

Well, I've completely opened the tap, got a set of grips around the bell thing and it will not separate from the spindle no matter what. The complete spindle assembly begins uncrewing away from the main basin as one, bell attached...

threedogs
18th October 2015, 03:33 PM
Take the lot out as one unit then seperate it in a vice ,
its filled with crap from leaking through the fibre washer

Hodge
18th October 2015, 03:35 PM
Take the lot out as one unit then seperate it in a vice ,
its filled with crap from leaking through the fibre washer

Will do mate thanks. My concern is, under the bell cap, not a hell of a lot you can grab onto, except the spindle thread. Don't want to stuff the thread.

threedogs
18th October 2015, 03:45 PM
If you give it a whack it may loosen the crud, you may need a
basin spanner from underneath to hold it while you try loosening the "bell"
Ive never come across one that you couldnt get off.

Hodge
18th October 2015, 04:47 PM
Still 3 out of 4 cannot get bell off. But changed washers and valves on all and only 1 is leaking when tap is running. Cannot get under the bell to tighten properly. Will go again tomorrow. Might dump the lot in boiling water to loosen the crud off.

Hodge
19th October 2015, 11:39 AM
All fixed. Cheers. Put them in warm water for a bit and loosened the crud and the bell cap came off. Washers and seals replaced, greased up threads. Good as new.
:thumbup:

threedogs
19th October 2015, 11:51 AM
Remember to tell everyone to NOW turn them off with 2 fingers,
sometimes, well most times ppl will still swing on them to stop the dripping.
Another job crossed off , so off you go to the happy thread eh lol

Hodge
19th October 2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah water no runs with only a slight turn with those new valves. The missus always does it up way too tight. YEah another job done. Few more to do.

threedogs
19th October 2015, 12:19 PM
Not being rude but I think most/some housewives are very
heavy fisted when it comes to things around the house, mine included lol

Sir Roofy
19th October 2015, 12:34 PM
Not being rude but I think most/some housewives are very
heavy fisted when it comes to things around the house, mine included lol

You know how to get us blokes in trouble but have to agree

threedogs
19th October 2015, 02:55 PM
You know how to get us blokes in trouble but have to agree

They never tell it was making a noise last week , they tell you it just broke today.
you all know what I mean lol