PDA

View Full Version : Varible vane turbo upgrade?

peterm
9th January 2015, 11:22 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and have just recently purchased a '93 GQ TD42 wagon after driving a 95 Pajero around for the past 7 years. I have a question about turbo's, yes I know another turbo question, but mine is hopefully different and might get some interesting answers. So my question is: has anyone fitted a VGT to their TD42 engine? VGT being a newer style variable geometry turbo to their older style diesel engine and have it operate ok? In theory it sounds good - come on boost early and have no choking at high rpm. Any info would be much appreciated.

Peter

mudski
10th January 2015, 12:41 AM
I did see a thread somewhere here of someone doing a twin VNT turbo setup. Not sure who or where it was though.

Fozzee63
10th January 2015, 12:50 PM
Yes it can be done saw a write up some where in a 4x4 mag. Nsw berema diesel , I'll have a look for the mag. I also was looking at the same thing and heaps more low down boost , spools up quicker then the standard

Stropp
10th January 2015, 01:05 PM
PMC was also looking at importing one from the states before he decided to sell the 4.2 diesel, maybe worth sending Paul a pm.

HuskyInAuz
10th January 2015, 06:11 PM
I just sent Berrima a email asking if they do variable turbo upgrades on the 4.2 / 4.2 td. Last time I asked, about 2 years ago I got an ear full from Rhinehard about not screwing up the great engine setup that was in there. Wanted me to leave it with the stock turbo OTOH he likes the X5 too which I think is a POS.
I'll post results.

peterm
12th January 2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys, any info would be good. Sorry for the slow response - the morning after posting this thread, my internet thought it would take the weekend off as well but its back working fine now, gotta love modern technology and electronics.

I was thinking the same thing Frozzee63, hopefully get early and more low end boost without choking in the high rpm.

HuskyInAuz
12th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Here is the ???? answer ??? to the question if Berrima is installing variable vane turbos ... I was not so nice on my response ..
>>
Hi Scott,

Good day. Pressure and volume are relative to each other. A turbo running higher boost gets higher volumes of air to an engine than the one running lower boost. The higher the boost the more air volume! A turbo is only an air supply device. Boost pressures used in turbo charging are the fuel and relatively low and don’t generate much heat if any. If we kept compressing the air to a couple of hundred PSI though, air would soon heat up. It still stands that fuel makes the heat in the equation!! Loads of fuel means loads of heat. A correctly matched turbo spins up fast so as to keep a nice lean mixture down low and to get a torque increase early in the rev range (a lean mixture is cool and clean in a diesel!!!). As we know, diesel engines produce maximum torque at low engine revs so we need a turbo to be at maximum boost at those low engine revs. What happened now to the ‘large low revving turbo’? Not much, until the engine revs gets up high. Too late for the boost to arrive at hi
gh revs! In fact if the boost is kept low and the turbo spins up slowly, the fuel and air mixture can be quite rich in the low to mid working range of the engine. “Rich means heat in a diesel”. That is why using a large “cool” turbo charger is fallacy! With the high revving diesels of today, a turbo needs to boost early and hold the boost through the large rev range. The variation in a 4WD diesel rev range can be 4000rpm between idle and redline.

Hope this information is useful to you.

Roel Hizon
Sales and Technical Support Staff
Berrima Diesel Service/DPChip

Rock Trol
12th January 2015, 10:05 PM
WOW!!
He answered everything you wanted to know/not know except for your question. And he's their sales guy? :jawdrop:

HuskyInAuz
13th January 2015, 09:52 PM
Another update ... Interesting ... Fozzee63 can you send me a link to the article you reference in your post? tx

>>>
Hi Scott,

Good day. We are sorry to inform you but we do not install variable vane turbos in the workshop. If you may, can you send us some links showing that we install variable vane turbos.

Thank you.

Roel Hizon
Sales and Technical Support Staff
Berrima Diesel Service/DPChip

nissannewby
18th January 2015, 11:29 PM
A vnt can be fitted to a TD42. Is it worth it? Not really, the vnt obviously needs its own control circuit and ecu with particular inputs and outputs. You could I suppose like the zd30 guys do and manually control the turbo with vacuum pressure.

Zjuul is the one on here using 2 vnt turbos on a thesis project of his.

As far as Im aware no company does a vnt swap or upgrade kit for the TD42.

Turbo technology is advancing in leaps and bounds and there are turbo options that can work well on a td42 without the added workings of a vnt.

nissannewby
18th January 2015, 11:43 PM
PMC was also looking at importing one from the states before he decided to sell the 4.2 diesel, maybe worth sending Paul a pm.

Paul was looking at the switchblade turbos from blaylock.

A vnt (variable nozzle turbo)the better of the 2 (VGT, VNT) and VGT (variable geometery turbo) do things different to each other. The switchblade alters the a/r of the housing.

HuskyInAuz
21st January 2015, 05:30 AM
I'm still waiting, since the 4th of Nov for a UFI 18 turbo, might start looking elsewhere..

Dales300exc
21st January 2015, 07:38 AM
Yehp. They are good at at leaving you waiting.

peterm
1st September 2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys. Was hoping that someone had done a turbo fit out of this kind but used positive pressure to actuate the vanes in the turbo instead of using vacuum like on modern diesel engines. Not to worry, i'll read up on some turbo threads on here as I'm looking at turboing mine soon.