PDA

View Full Version : Deisel injectors life...

punisher
9th January 2015, 09:32 PM
Hi all , just wondering how long deisel injectors usually last , i have a 2007 nissan patrol crd, it has 170,000 ks on it and from what previous owner said , they have never been changed,,how do u know when they are on the way out..cheers

happygu
9th January 2015, 09:49 PM
From what I have read they are maintenance free and either good / function perfectly, or they are bad ...... there is no visible sign of a faulty injector from just looking at it and no major maintenance you can do to it, with the exception of fuel conditioning.....

You can take them out and get them bench tested, but that could be expensive. I dont know how much that would cost

I guess one way to tell if you need to start looking at changing them is if the truck gets hard to start. A leaking injector will stop the system getting to the required pressure for staring, and ifvyour truck is starting to take longer to start, it could be glow plugs or injectors

the evil twin
9th January 2015, 10:05 PM
Patrol ZD30 CRD use Bosch Injectors.
Bosch state the injector should last the life of the engine if the fuel filters etc are maintained correctly and fuel quality is not compromised

MEGOMONSTER
9th January 2015, 10:52 PM
Patrol ZD30 CRD use Bosch Injectors. Bosch state the injector should last the life of the engine if the fuel filters etc are maintained correctly and fuel quality is not compromisedk
To ask I silly question, how does bad fuel cause an injector to fail.
Bad fuel being water in it and..............

Bigcol
9th January 2015, 11:03 PM
k
To ask I silly question, how does bad fuel cause an injector to fail.
Bad fuel being water in it and..............

small contaminants - that dont get picked up by the filters
may stick to end of the inside of the injector and burn there, causing the injector to "fail"

I would be guessing though

P4trol
9th January 2015, 11:09 PM
Ah, you might ask! I've been doing some research into crds.

Crds operate at high fuel rail pressure. Part of the wear occurs with water eroding the injectors this means your (fuel) spray pattern changes from ok to bad. The other part comes from the small amount of water corroding (rust etc) parts of the injector system.

There is more too, but I've given you the simpletons explanation. It's all I'm up to...

This is why you see an explosion of water watch devices, and pre filters and post filters.

Pre filters are before the stock filter. They remove most water and the larger contaminants. 30 micron is a normal size for here.

A post filter is after the stock filter. It also removes water (if water trap fitted) and smaller contaminants. It is commonly 2-5 micron. Fitting a post filter here helps with injector and fuel pump life.

There's a few explanatory pages on some of the filter company websites. Good reading.

the evil twin
10th January 2015, 12:18 AM
Agree ^^^^^ and fuel acts as the lubricant for the pump and injectors.

Water molecules means no lube and rust and at pressures well in excess of 20,000 PSI with tolerances of a few microns it doesn't take much contamination (rust particles) to screw up the pumps and injectors

punisher
10th January 2015, 03:48 PM
ok thanks for the info guys , she is running fine , dunno why people run the patrols down so much. obviously that is a plus
considering how expensive injectors are for them..

Rock Trol
11th January 2015, 01:07 PM
It's only the DI's that need injector maintenance. With a CRD there is no regular maintenance. Maybe some mild injector cleaner, or diesel conditioner. I use a bit of Flash Lube diesel conditioner every so often as it contains a little bit of shellite to keep things clean.

The other thing to do is replace fuel filter with only OEM Nissan type as there is a water watch system in built. If water is detected in the water trap the warning light comes on. Happened to a friend so all he needed to do was drain the filter from the side valve. He had to undo the bracket to get to it and also pull off the top hose to let the filter drain. Then just re-pressurised and away he went.

I have seen some after market filters for GU CRD on ebay without the electronic module at the bottom... stay away from those.