PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor stops working in heat

RubberDuckieGQ
8th January 2015, 10:26 PM
Hello! :) I have an odd issue, was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?

The starter motor on my GQ is relatively new but seems to be "lazy" - occasionally when you turn the key right over, all the gauges/electrics etc come on but the engine doesn't try to start (same as if you've only turned the key enough to get the radio on)

I have noticed that this only seems to happen when the engine is hot (not overheating though) - eg if we have been driving in very hot weather, stopped for fuel or drinks, we need to give it half hour and then it starts fine

It definitely seems to be a starter motor issue because hot wiring it in the same conditions works fine

Has anyone got some thoughts on this?

the evil twin
8th January 2015, 10:44 PM
Sticky solenoid I reckon,
If you are hot wiring to the starter itself then definitely the Solenoid.

If you are hot wiring to the low current side of the Solenoid and it is pulling in then it will be something like a dodgy terminal or somesuch

RubberDuckieGQ
8th January 2015, 11:23 PM
Interesting - thanks! I will double check how it was hot wired as I didn't do it myself.

Sounds like that will hopefully narrow it down

threedogs
9th January 2015, 09:44 AM
you could also check your battery connections , give them a wipe with a green scourer pad.
If petrol having the timing retarded will produce a "lazy" sounding starter as well

mudski
9th January 2015, 03:35 PM
My old MK used to do this. I'd tap the solenoid with a hammer and it would start. I just removed the starter, pulled the solenoid out, opened it up, cleaned it out, regreased the solenoid with some lmm and all was good.

Stropp
10th January 2015, 12:55 PM
bit off subject but when we did the simpson trip i had my sparky tell me the starter was on the way out so i bought a new one and twice on the simpson it just stopped working but if i moved the car in gear it would free up and start, i took it off when i got home and put the old one back on which is still going btw, the old one was returned to the auto sparky and the supplier sent me a new one which is still sitting in the shed.

threedogs
10th January 2015, 01:24 PM
bit off subject but when we did the simpson trip i had my sparky tell me the starter was on the way out so i bought a new one and twice on the simpson it just stopped working but if i moved the car in gear it would free up and start, i took it off when i got home and put the old one back on which is still going btw, the old one was returned to the auto sparky and the supplier sent me a new one which is still sitting in the shed.

So the problem was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??? ?????????

Stropp
10th January 2015, 02:22 PM
So the problem was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??? ?????????

dont know they just gave me a new starter motor.