PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with VDC function following 20,000km service

docp1980
7th January 2015, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you with 2011-current model Y61's have had problems with the VDC-off button after recent services? My 2014 Y61 was working perfectly well for the first 20,000 km, whenever I took it on sand in high range I would just turn off the VDC system and it would punch through super soft sections without a drama. However, since my recent service at 20,000 km (December) the VDC-off switch is now useless as the brake limited slip differential (BLSD) system overrides it all the time, resulting in total loss of forward momentum on soft sand beaches. The same problem exists in low range, where the VDC is supposed to be off by default. The only way I can override the problem is to engage the rear locker, which is only possible in low range (why Nissan set this up for low range use only, I don't know) and even then, you get the annoying alarm beeping when you do 20km/h +, which is always needed on soft sections of beach!

I understand that I can pull the ABS fuse and this should result in both the VDC and BLSD systems being turned off, but I really don't want to have to do this as the car was working perfectly well prior to the last service. I have had the car back to the dealer who said the system is working as it is intended to be and have no real interest in resolving the problem. They told me to call Nissan Australia who then told me to take it up with my dealer. Clearly they have no interest in resolving a problem unless their computers indicate that there is one.....

Has anyone on here experienced similar problems to this, and if so, have you managed to remedy them without pulling the ABS fuse when going off-road? I would also be extremely grateful if anyone has tips on how to allow use of the factory rear locker in high range and how to disconnect the annoying alarm that activates at 20 km/h +.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Matt

happygu
7th January 2015, 01:21 PM
Matt,

Hard to know what the exact problem may be.....

Check with the Service Guys if they did an ECU Update during the last service, as that may be the cause of your little problem, as they may have 're-calibrated' the VDC in a software update.

Failing that if you don't want to pull the fuse, you could maybe add a switch into the power feed from the ABS Fuse, and locate that low down on the dash near the fuel cap filler release ( This is the spot where they normally put the old 4.2 Hand Throttle Lever ) .... then all you need to do is push the switch. Make sure you have a light on it too ,so you remember to put it back on for the road.....

Mic

04OFF
7th January 2015, 02:48 PM
As above, I would ask "exactly" what the dealer did at 20K service as this aid to may point you in the right direction.

I would also look in your owners manual, and see if it confirms what you already know about the function of the said buttons, if it does back you up, you now have a warranty claim at "any" Nissan dealer for faulty button/system operation regardless.

jack
7th January 2015, 04:11 PM
Hi Matt,
I've got the same model (2012) and I don't have these issues, if I turn off VDC it stays off until I turn it back on. Just checked the manual and it does say that BLSD still operates when VDC is turned off - news to me as it's never been an issue.
Haven't had any issues with mine other than when I first found out about VDC and it tried to take over on a steep climb. I have done limited sand driving but did pull the camper through soft beach sand up at Vrillya Point and had no dramas. It turns off automatically when in 4L and switches back on when going back to 4H, in these situations I usually turn it back off depending on the conditions.
I'd be wary about making any modifications while under warranty. Agree with you on the rear locker only working in 4L being a PIA, models without VDC can use it in 4H.

Do you know anyone with a similar model that you can compare some similar driving with? Nissans are great trucks but their after sales services seem to leave a bit to be desired - don't give up.

docp1980
8th January 2015, 02:26 PM
Cheers for all of the responses guys. I think the only way i'm going to resolve this problem is either pulling the ABS fuse (or wiring in a switch as happygu suggested) or finding out how to rewire the rear diff lock so that it can be used in high range like in the GU7's. If I can do that then the ABS/VDC will automatically disengage once the locker is engaged and I won't have problems anymore in both high and low range. Bloody electronics!

Drewboyaus
8th January 2015, 03:13 PM
rewire the rear diff lock so that it can be used in high range like in the GU7's. If I can do that then the ABS/VDC will automatically disengage once the locker is engaged and I won't have problems anymore in both high and low range. Bloody electronics!

I'm not sure this would necessarily be the case....I'm far from an expert on GU's but I imagine the disengaging of the ABS/VDC when using the locker is something programmed into the ECU and not something that could be bypassed with a switch.
The same would go for using said locker in 4H. I expect even if you could recreate the same conditions for using the locker in 4H as the earlier model through a re-wire, some sort of change to the ECU logic map would also be required.
But I ain't no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner