PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Winch Problem

Remmy
5th January 2015, 07:50 PM
Hi

I was helping out a stuck Yota a few weeks ago and my Warn xd9000 winch failed big time and refused to help out and shut down all electrics to the Troll. After about half an hour we managed to get the thing started again but the winch was cactus. We took the winch out and started stripping it down.... As you can see its a real mess inside but I think I can save it.. Any ideas on how to clean it up would be great... Now the hard part.. I took the gearbox apart and other than smelly old grease Im having hard time trying to get the free spool hub out from the gear housing.. There was some rust but I cleaned it out but its stuck fast. Any suggestions on how to get it free? Cheers

the evil twin
5th January 2015, 07:57 PM
They get like that because the Winch has been mounted at 90 degrees in the Patrol but the winch motor hasn't been rotated so the drain hole is back on the bottom.
That means the winch gets 1/2 full of water/dust/mud and it cannot get out except when you religiously service it every 12 months

Invest in a few litres of penetrene or whatever and soak all the components so you can get them apart.

A Dremel will come in handy to try and resurrect the armature.

What does the inside of the solenoid pack look like?

Remmy
5th January 2015, 08:02 PM
The solenoid pack looks dirty but ok. Have yet to test each one yet so Im just working on the big bits.

the evil twin
5th January 2015, 09:02 PM
Good luck with the project... when you get it going again don't forget to orientate the motor drain hole to 6 O'clock when viewed with teh winch mounted to the bull bar