PDA

View Full Version : Are these EGT gauges any good?

apalsson
5th January 2015, 07:03 PM
I succumbed to my own stingy nature and ordered one of these
Does anyone have them? Are they any good?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321510534027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I haven't found anything much about them out there

the evil twin
5th January 2015, 08:10 PM
I would prefer a 200 to 1000 scale but thats being a bit picky I spose.
The display isn't exactly my cup of tea but I'm an old fart
If you get enough thermocouple lead etc in the kit then, yeah, should be OK

megatexture
5th January 2015, 08:14 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321510534027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

No reports could be good, or they are fairly new.

I would prefer a 200 to 1000 scale but thats being a bit picky I spose.
The display isn't exactly my cup of tea but I'm an old fart
If you get enough thermocouple lead etc in the kit then, yeah, should be OK

I was like that also Et,I was looking for one 200-800 degree

apalsson
6th January 2015, 05:45 AM
Guess we can only try it out. !
I still haven't received the gauge besides, I will need to get an exhaust shop to weld me a bung in the dump pipe
Once that has been done and if this gauge is no good, it won't be a big job to swap it out

Cuppa
6th January 2015, 09:36 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321510534027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fitm%2F32151053 4027%3FssPageName%3DSTRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT%26amp%3B_trk sid%3Dp3984.m1439.l2649)

Can’t answer your question as I’m only now thinking about getting one for the first time & have looked at those ones, along with as many others as I could find online. Like ET I’m an old(ish) fart & have looked for something that is not too ‘busy’ & clear to read at a quick glance. I suspect that I might find that my eyes would struggle a bit with the lack of contrast on that gauge. Your eyes are probably better. It is very cheap in comparison to some - almost ¼ the price of what I’m thinking of getting, & my reading over time suggests that some gauges are less accurate/responsive than others. Admittedly part of the reason for what seems an overly high price for the Redarc gauge I’m thinking of getting is the LCD technology & combined functions without dial face busy-ness, but other EGT gauges cost significantly more than the one you’re getting & I can’t help thinking there has to be reasons for this. The obvious (to me) reason other than paying for the ’name’ is likely to be quality. Your gauge may be just fine, but I suppose the point is how would you know? If it craps out, or the needle sticks it’d be obvious, but how would you know if it was just telling you porkies? Of course the same could be asked of more expensive ones too! As you say if it ends up not suiting you, it’s not an arm & a leg that you’ve lost, & if the display suits you it’s reasonable to give it a punt.

Once you have fitted it & used it a bit, it’d be great if you could post up a bit of a review of what it’s like to fit & use.

threedogs
6th January 2015, 10:08 AM
Red gauges would be my pick if eyes are a bit dodgy,better at night as well,
I'll be changing all dash led to red along with any other switch and gauge
not keen on digital Gauges as I think they can have a flicker effect

Bloodyaussie
6th January 2015, 10:11 AM
This is what I bought on advice from Matfew and it is a good bit of kit.. I was advised to stay away from cheaper gauges for many reasons one being how far off they can be correct.

Road runner also are a great mob to deal with and even rang me to discuss a little problem I had (nothing to do with the product only my little brain).

At JPC they said my gauge was very close to accurate showing only a touch to the hotter side than actually was.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGT-Exhaust-Gas-Temp-Pyro-Gauge-52mm-Alarm-for-LandCruiser-Hilux-AMBER-BACKLIT-/301390407580?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462c44a79c

apalsson
6th January 2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys, all the comments are good and valid.
As I said, my main driver for these particular ones was price. I know there are some even cheaper ones out there but I have also found the price on these ones vary wildly.
There was an Aussie seller on e-mail earlier flogging these exact same for around $150 but this seller, being a Taiwan based store was the cheapest I could find.
The display is busy - no disagreement with that. Like a couple of you guys, I'm also an old fart and for example struggle with my Scangauge without glasses. This was why I did like the "analogue-ish" ring towards the outside
I will also experiment with changing the colour between blue and red and see what suits

In regards to possible accuracy or lack thereof - I have no disagreement. It's just that as much as I would have loved the Redarc gauge, I cannot justify coughing up around $400 for a gizmo that used to be sold for half of that before Redarc got their paws onto it. I also have seen no independent test results of their accuracy or otherwise but they do look bl**dy good :)
I find it a risky strategy to automatically assume that because the distributor/manufacturer is an Aussie company, the product is better than overseas ones. Much the same as my Redarc brake controller for which I paid top $$$ but has panned out to be the most lacking piece of kit I have in my car, yet sold for a higher price than top quality imported brands.
Another I really wanted was the VDO one but again couldn't find the coin to buy it

I have a laser thermometer that I sometimes use when I set up and tune the small two-stroke petrol engines in my remote controlled planes. Probably not all that accurate either but I might aim it at the dump pipe and see what difference I get between that and the gauge once fitted

BillsGU
6th January 2015, 11:02 AM
I went through the same trains of thought before I purchased the Autron/Redarc gauges. I wanted to make sure they did the job and were reliable. Years ago when I was a young petrol head all I could afford was the cheaper stuff and they pretty much all failed in one way or another (to the degree that some oil gauges with capilliary tubes would leak oil all over my feet!). Also, most gauges are a pain to install (crawling around on the floor of the car, getting up under the dash, etc) and I only want to do it once!

For me the features of the Autron were exactly what I wanted. They have the reliability of a digital gauge but their analog readout is simple to read. I also wanted a gauge that had the alarm feature. All Autron gauges can be set up to give an audio and visual alarm when the readings reach a set value. That means you don't have to worry about looking at the gauge all the time.

They work for me.

Bigcol
6th January 2015, 11:03 AM
I spend a small fortune on these ones from Autron (before they were sold to Redarc)

easy to read, and an alarm goes off - and dial changes colour when it goes off..........

Hodge
6th January 2015, 11:08 AM
I was in the same boat a while back mate. I ended up going for the (back then Autron) Redarc gauge and it is awesome. Looks good, works good, has alarm features which I'm finding very useful, and i don't regret spending $$ on it. However... At the end of the day, a $80 gauge from super cheap could have probably done the job just as good, minus the features.

It's just that as much as I would have loved the Redarc gauge, I cannot justify coughing up around $400 for a gizmo that used to be sold for half of that before Redarc got their paws onto it.

Half the price? I would have loved to have seen a Autron EGT/boost gauge for sub $320 when it used to be Autron. Are you confusing their EGT/boost gaugse with their other gagues like water/oil which were much cheaper ??

apalsson
6th January 2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks mate, I agree with every word.
These are the exact ones I would have bought if they hadn't cost as much as they do

I went through the same trains of thought before I purchased the Autron/Redarc gauges. I wanted to make sure they did the job and were reliable. Years ago when I was a young petrol head all I could afford was the cheaper stuff and they pretty much all failed in one way or another (to the degree that some oil gauges with capilliary tubes would leak oil all over my feet!). Also, most gauges are a pain to install (crawling around on the floor of the car, getting up under the dash, etc) and I only want to do it once!

For me the features of the Autron were exactly what I wanted. They have the reliability of a digital gauge but their analog readout is simple to read. I also wanted a gauge that had the alarm feature. All Autron gauges can be set up to give an audio and visual alarm when the readings reach a set value. That means you don't have to worry about looking at the gauge all the time.

They work for me.

mudski
6th January 2015, 11:44 AM
Buy a McNally and you will never use anything else.:thumbup:

apalsson
6th January 2015, 11:51 AM
Buy a McNally and you will never use anything else.:thumbup:
Here is one thinking outside the square - I like that :)

the evil twin
6th January 2015, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't be all that worried about accuracy in regards to a post Turbo EGT gauge.
Reliability IE how long before it craps out, Yes, but accuracy is not a big deal.

EGT gauges are a voltmeter, nothing more.
All they do is measure the voltage across the thermocouple and it is usually the thermocouple and wire that is the greater expense in a basic gauge.

Even if the gauge is out by as much as 5% (which is extremely doubtful) that is only 25 to 30 degrees in the critical area for ZD30's.
You will get bigger differences than that in post Turbo installations purely due to probe positioning.

Due to the huge variable temp losses of 200 or more degrees in the gas stream across the Turbo any post Turbo EGT is only ever an educated guess at what the cylinder combustion temps actually are at any given time.

matfew
6th January 2015, 02:15 PM
I don't know where you seen the aurtron gauges for half what they are now.

I got one from aurtron just before they sold out and it was same price as red arc sell em now. Also know a few other people with them paid what I did before me to. I knew a aurtron dealer so got a slight better price but still expensive. Saying that I love it and very glad red arc kept them going. I still want to get another 1 maybe 2 yet to finish off my plans

Bigcol
6th January 2015, 02:27 PM
I paid $1K for the ones I got
EGT / Boost / cabin Temp
Oil Pressure / Water Temp / engine bay temp
Batt 1 / Batt 2 / Amps

also got the main controller, Amps lead thingy, 2 x temp probes (1 x for engine bay, 1 x for cabin temps) and the 3 gauge pillar pod

one of the best investments I have made

threedogs
6th January 2015, 02:45 PM
@ Bigcol are you an ex truck driver or like many here
just like to know whats happening under the bonnet?
$1k is cheap insurance IMO

Bigcol
6th January 2015, 02:58 PM

no, I'm not an ex truckie...........
just rather find a problem before its a problem -
we dont get the Humidity of say - North Qld or the Territory, but we get the heat..... especially north of Geraldton in summer time (or anywhere off the coastal plane really........)

and yes, the thoughts I had before spending the coin was....... is it worth it / will I really need it / can I do it another way cheaper

I had separate gauges for the EGT, Boost (pillar pod), Oil Pressure, water temp - on the dash (Mk I dash)
and wanted something to tell me what was happening with the batteries......... so after spending $500 on Mk I dash - I had to re-think
because
I also have a GPS on the dash
and a 7" reversing screen near the gear lever
where the buggery do I put battery gauges...............???????

Yes - $1K was very cheap now that they have been in 2 years

the evil twin
6th January 2015, 03:01 PM

He should have bought a 3rd probe for his skin temp when the A/C cuts out in the Pilbara.
Would be handy records for the paramedics
Skin Temp - 50 degrees
Pallor - Red overall, extreme white at fists
Blood pressure - 200/150
Speech - slurred, expletive ridden, incoherent
Eyes - glazed and bloodshot
Gait and co-ordination - excellent, can easily stand on one foot and kick the shit out of car

Diagnosis?
Normal, it's just a Nissan thing, nothing to see here

apalsson
6th January 2015, 03:07 PM
Diagnosis?
Normal, it's just a Nissan thing, nothing to see here

And a touch of SES (Starship Enterprise Syndrome) :)

mudski
6th January 2015, 04:36 PM
Here is one thinking outside the square - I like that :)

Boohyeah!!!!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53559&stc=1

apalsson
6th January 2015, 05:46 PM
Very snazzy!!!

megatexture
6th January 2015, 08:52 PM
This is what I bought on advice from Matfew and it is a good bit of kit.. I was advised to stay away from cheaper gauges for many reasons one being how far off they can be correct.

Road runner also are a great mob to deal with and even rang me to discuss a little problem I had (nothing to do with the product only my little brain).

At JPC they said my gauge was very close to accurate showing only a touch to the hotter side than actually was.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGT-Exhaust-Gas-Temp-Pyro-Gauge-52mm-Alarm-for-LandCruiser-Hilux-AMBER-BACKLIT-/301390407580?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item462c44a79c

I got the same one going in very soon!