PDA

View Full Version : RD28T Won't go

reactbob
4th January 2015, 11:14 PM
Hi people I have a bit of a problem with my GQ RD28T. Its a bit long winded but please bare with me. I have gone through 1 Block
2 heads 3 turbos and it is just about doing my head in. In the last couple of weeks I have had a new cartridge put in the turbo
and fitted a 3 inch exhaust and dump pipe in the 2 years I have had this patrol it has driven like a slug. When you take off
from a standing start on a little bit of a hill it will stall unless you rev the crap out of it when you drive it on the
highway 90 to a 100 if you can get it to go that fast I have EGT temps varying from 400c to 600c the boost will not go above 8 or
9 psi. Then about 2 weeks ago I was driving on the freeway and all of a sudden it was like somebody flipped the power switch the
EGT dropped by about 50c and when you put your foot on the acc pedal the boost went up to 11psi and it was a pleasure to dive it
had more power at high speed and you could move off from standing still with no acc pedal. There was a lot less lag from
idle to 2000 rpm before the turbo winds up. I was that happy (did not last long) 2 weeks later I changed the oil and filter
filled up fuel and nothing else put the jetski on the back and headed off and it went back to doing what it did before gutless
wonder boost down EGT up over 600c. I don't know what could cause this I am out of ideas. If any of you guys can come up with
anything I would be greatful
Regards Bob

paulyg
5th January 2015, 10:32 AM
HI reactbob, I am shure someone on here will be able to help, but a bit more info will be helpful.
why did you have to change the heads, block and turbo? did you use new or reco or s/h parts? have you made any modifications?

threedogs
5th January 2015, 11:03 AM
I would be checking any earths you have.
or even run new ones
Sound to me like it needs a good service and tune, is your egr blocked
Need to sort the boost out and everything else will fall in place

reactbob
5th January 2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. I changed the second last turbo because the blades on the compressor wheel sheared off it was like someone put a screwdriver in the inlet and ground the blades down to nothing then went though the engine destroying the head valves and pistons and scored the liners to deep to be repaired. The last turbo destroyed the bearings and seized up. The last head I bought had been ground flat but whoever did it used the wrong process, instead of looking polished and smooth on the bottom it felt like a file and it would not seal on the head gasket. Mine is a GQ therefor no map sensor or computer. My egr is sealed off. So basically now it has a new turbo and a new chinese head on it at the moment also new rings bearings ect. I am going to get it tuned when the funds are available, but what I can't figure out why run like a dog for two years then all of a sudden run like a dream for two weeks then back to a dog again.

catchinjack
24th January 2015, 10:19 AM
Very keen to hear of any help, I got same issues with my 2.8 GQ and it's doing my head in.

threedogs
24th January 2015, 11:21 AM
Mudnut is your man but being a long week end
not many around with the meet up happening

mudski
24th January 2015, 11:48 AM
Mudnut is your man but being a long week end
not many around with the meet up happening

Mudnut has a rb30 John. Unless I have missed something. Holiday mode is kicking in quite good atm.