PDA

View Full Version : New to Patrols

btav
4th January 2015, 08:47 PM
Hey there,
Just after some help from people with experience, i am looking to start going off road and on the beach and need some advice.
I'm looking to buy a 1998-1999 patrol for my first 4x4 but have been told by a few people that i shouldn't buy one and instead go for a hilux, landcruiser, navara etc. But i figured, stuff them, i love the shape of a patrol and wanna know what pros and cons they have.
i have been told that they do use a lot more fuel compared to other 4wds in their range and that they lack more power compared to the other 4wds as well.
So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated and welcome.
Thanks

Sherro
4th January 2015, 10:30 PM
G'day mate welcome to the forum i've got the TD42T it goes quite well with a few mods.

MEGOMONSTER
4th January 2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

Stropp
4th January 2015, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the forum mate the td42t is a great motor, go for it.

4bye4
4th January 2015, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Dhuck
5th January 2015, 07:24 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

btav
5th January 2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the response guys, so without mods done right away as i will build up to it, how do the patrols go on sand,creeks and with towing?

Hodge
5th January 2015, 07:59 AM
Welcome aboard mate. Wealth of knowledge and many friendly members here. Jump in and enjoy your stay!

threedogs
5th January 2015, 09:01 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, to answer one of your questions
a Hilux will break off road they are no where near as tough as a Patrol.
You are also limited by the IFS front end.
Would not have one full stop.
You can throw anything at a Patrol and then so.
GQ would be a great starting point

Dave_H
5th January 2015, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, lots of useful information on here as well as a wealth of knowledge from it's members.

btav
5th January 2015, 10:58 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, to answer one of your questions
a Hilux will break off road they are no where near as tough as a Patrol.
You are also limited by the IFS front end.
Would not have one full stop.
You can throw anything at a Patrol and then so.
GQ would be a great starting point

Hey,
thanks for the advice, so you reckon a GQ rather then a 97-2000 GU?

Drewboyaus
5th January 2015, 04:44 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum. If you don't care about long distance touring and fuel efficiency, either a petrol GU or GQ will serve you very well indeed. GU's are a bit bigger and more comfy than a GQ but under the skin they share many similarities......I think the GQ is a bit tougher but many are starting to get on a bit and finding a good one might be a bit of a challenge.
Me, I'd try to find one that hasn't been on gas but that is a personal choice. As far as your "mates" go who reckon you shouldn't get a Patrol but a Navara, a Hilux or Land Crab.......you will be pulling those idiots out in no time...... LMAO. They have no idea, you are on the right track.
There are a few Middle East members around the place and they love their petty Patrols on the desert sand.....weapons. Have fun mate. Plenty of helpful folks on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

growler2058
5th January 2015, 07:33 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard. Best LSD of them all in a troll mate. Crooozer may as well have open diffs

btav
6th January 2015, 07:36 AM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum. If you don't care about long distance touring and fuel efficiency, either a petrol GU or GQ will serve you very well indeed. GU's are a bit bigger and more comfy than a GQ but under the skin they share many similarities......I think the GQ is a bit tougher but many are starting to get on a bit and finding a good one might be a bit of a challenge.
Me, I'd try to find one that hasn't been on gas but that is a personal choice. As far as your "mates" go who reckon you shouldn't get a Patrol but a Navara, a Hilux or Land Crab.......you will be pulling those idiots out in no time...... LMAO. They have no idea, you are on the right track.
There are a few Middle East members around the place and they love their petty Patrols on the desert sand.....weapons. Have fun mate. Plenty of helpful folks on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yeah thanks for the advice, this has just made my mind up for me. Just need to find a decent used one now. Be prepared for the links to the ones i will be looking at as i will be for asking help when buying it

happygu
6th January 2015, 09:28 AM
btav,

Patrols are awesome in the bush ... they really are, but so are lots of other vehicles too - I am constantly amazed at how far some of these newer 'soft' utes go in the bush as they tackle and conquer some stuff that I would be nervous about in a standard Patrol ( thinking about body damage and dings )....

As for sand driving you would probably pick a lighter vehicle if it was a choice for sand only, but my truck is an all rounder for everything, and I need to fit four occupants and luggage wherever I go.

Don't worry too much about the term power, as all Patrols have enough power to do the job and do it comfortably ( even though we all want more ) - it is how you use it, how you setup your truck to handle the tracks, and also how you drive which will get you further ..... was speaking to a family out in the bush yesterday where they were stuck behind a V8 Cruiser on one of the steep hillclimbs out of Wonnangatta, where the V8 cruiser got stuck and couldn't get make it up the hill - wife got out in sheer terror and slid down on her backside, and he had to turn around and go back down .... they cruised up in a Colarado, and I flew up in my 3 Litre Diesel Patrol .... Do you think it is because the cruiser is under-powered?

Buy what you like and what suits you best ..... you never know, in six months time, all your mates will be driving Patrols too

btav
6th January 2015, 10:09 AM
btav,

Patrols are awesome in the bush ... they really are, but so are lots of other vehicles too - I am constantly amazed at how far some of these newer 'soft' utes go in the bush as they tackle and conquer some stuff that I would be nervous about in a standard Patrol ( thinking about body damage and dings )....

As for sand driving you would probably pick a lighter vehicle if it was a choice for sand only, but my truck is an all rounder for everything, and I need to fit four occupants and luggage wherever I go.

Don't worry too much about the term power, as all Patrols have enough power to do the job and do it comfortably ( even though we all want more ) - it is how you use it, how you setup your truck to handle the tracks, and also how you drive which will get you further ..... was speaking to a family out in the bush yesterday where they were stuck behind a V8 Cruiser on one of the steep hillclimbs out of Wonnangatta, where the V8 cruiser got stuck and couldn't get make it up the hill - wife got out in sheer terror and slid down on her backside, and he had to turn around and go back down .... they cruised up in a Colarado, and I flew up in my 3 Litre Diesel Patrol .... Do you think it is because the cruiser is under-powered?

Buy what you like and what suits you best ..... you never know, in six months time, all your mates will be driving Patrols too

Hey,
haha that is probably the best advice yet, thanks to the story. I will be using it a lot more on sand then i would dirt and that, but it wont be every week, mainly road use. But luckily at the moment its only going to myself and my gf and whatever draws and accessories i fit to it. So i think a 98 GU ST will do me fine.

threedogs
6th January 2015, 04:13 PM
Hey,
thanks for the advice, so you reckon a GQ rather then a 97-2000 GU?

Thats a personal thing GQ are a bit narrower than a GU,
but you get to play with more buttons in a GU.
As long as you have history either would be a good buy
for a first 4x4 I would go a GQ I think

I used to drive what was considered the ultimate outback cruiser being a 75s Troopy.
I now have a GU sure both are tough as but the GU is tough and refined at the same time
I love my GU should have done it years ago, travelled 400K in my Troopy

GU8LE
6th January 2015, 08:00 PM
G'Day, I bought myself a patrol late last year after much deliberation from advice I received.
Took it out over Chrissy and found it to be great. I love it, hope you love yours too.

mattsexton247
12th January 2015, 10:04 PM
welcome to the forum mate.