PDA

View Full Version : New member with a 1995 GQ TB42 RX - 7

des.bear1
4th January 2015, 05:23 PM
G'day All,

Just joined the Forum as I have just bought my daughters 1995 GQ TB42 RX - 7. Essentially a family car which goes to the beach occasionally. Not an 'off roader'.

It has paint damage to the roof and a bit on the bonnet but the rest of the exterior is good.

The motor & gear box, transfer case & hubs all seem fine but the suspension is pretty flat. When he (Nev) sits in the driveway I can see from the rear that the body is almost sitting on the rubber bump stops on the axel housing and from driving it I can tell you it gives a pretty ordinary ride on the local bitumen roads - very bumpy. Not so bad once you get on the open road or a freeway.

I don't know much about the GQ's except that they are regarded as a bit of a cult like Nissan 4X4 - similar to the 80 series Cruiser, as I have read.

Anyway - if any of you have advise on how to improve Nev's suspension - relatively cheaply - then I would certainly appreciate it.

Cheers

growler2058
4th January 2015, 05:32 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard
New shocks n springs $600-$800

4bye4
4th January 2015, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. Nothings cheap on a 4x4, but some inexpensive ideas will come through.

des.bear1
4th January 2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks very much for the quick reply's.

I paid for some work to be done on the steering while my daughter owned it - 'panards' was one thing I can remember plus others I can't remember and that did do a lot for the steering.

So now I guess it's shocks n springs.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how It goes.

Cheers

AB
4th January 2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

MEGOMONSTER
4th January 2015, 09:23 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

des.bear1
4th January 2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks a lot - I will

Sherro
4th January 2015, 11:19 PM
G'day mate welcome to the forum.

Stropp
4th January 2015, 11:53 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum, gq is a great vehicle mate and yes 2" lifted springs and shocks.

BigRAWesty
5th January 2015, 08:01 AM
Welcome.
I agree with above. It's time to replace so why not upgrade.
A simple 2" lift is a simple install. Just springs and shocks is it.
But yes. They need replacing.
If anyone is a little savvy on the tools it's quite an easy thing to do. Simply some spanners and good jack.

Anyway feel free to jump in and ask questions as needed.

Dhuck
5th January 2015, 08:24 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

des.bear1
6th January 2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that guys.

I didn't realise that a 2" lift kit was just that simple. I always thought any lift involved a lot more rigmarole like speedo cables etc - please excuse my inexperience.

What would that cost - about - for the parts I mean.

Cheers

des.bear1
8th January 2015, 11:25 PM
Hi Guy's,

My QG is a 7 seater and I am having trouble trying to get the 3rd row seat to fold down flat. (I want to put a mattress in the back)

Does it fold down flat??

Cheers

mattsexton247
12th January 2015, 10:53 PM
hey mate welcome to the form
a decent 2 inch lift will help the ride. you can get them done pretty cheap these days under $1000 just shop around for the best deal that suits your needs

des.bear1
18th January 2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the info mattsexton247

I'll check them out

Cheers