PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt

OziPos
8th March 2011, 09:58 PM
Hi all. I have just volunteered to change the timing belt on my father's 96 2.8 turbo diesel. Would anyone have any notes on the procedure?

Finly Owner
8th March 2011, 10:02 PM
Oops, that'll teach ya for dobbing yourself into doing job before knowing how. LOL
Well welcome to Nissans Nut House anyways, OziPos.

Tim

my third 256
8th March 2011, 10:05 PM
before you ask questions and want replies it is always nice to give an introduction of yourself

OziPos
8th March 2011, 10:09 PM
Fair enough. Name is Paul and I used to be a mechanic many years ago. I read a few post on this site and found it to be the best source of info.

wildgu6
8th March 2011, 10:22 PM
Hey Paul, Welcome aboard mate,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Post your Q in the mechanical descussion section. Some one should be able to set you straight.

Welcome aboard buddy and Enjoy the ride.
Hope you have a great 2011.
stay safe

Cheers Pete

YNOT
8th March 2011, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Ozi.

As with any engine make sure it's on TDC and mark the position of all the pulleys before you pull the belt off.
It's also a good idea to replace the belt tensioner.

Tony

the ferret
8th March 2011, 10:42 PM
MMMMMMM, half ya luck!!Get yaself a new timing belt, tensioner and idler, best place is Nizzbits on this forum, Gary will look after you with genuine Nissan parts.
Radiator out, fan off,intercooler if you have one.
Chock wheels, handbrake on and in 5th gear, remove harmonic retaining bolt and washer, remove harmonic balance, remove plastic timing covers, mark position of injector pump drive,cam gear, they have indicators as well. Turn the motor by hand to line them all up
Wedge the injector pump drive gear with a wooden wedge so it won't move.
remove the tensioner and idler then the belt. Fit new tensioner and idler and then new belt.
The belt has markings and must only go on one way.
When fitting the belt, keep the left (drivers side) tight and on the marks.
Fit the tensioner with its new spring making sure all the marks on the cam, crank shaft and injector pump line up with the marks on the new belt.
Let the spring do the tensioning.
Turn motor over by hand 4 revolutions with care, to make sure you have it right, do not force anything, if it's wrong you can do major damage.
Fit the bottom timing cover before the harmonic balance otherwise you will have trouble getting the two bottom bolts in.
Make sure the crankshaft is perfectly clean as well as the inside of the harmonic balance. note, there are two keys on the crankshaft, one for the belt drive and one for the balancer.
When fitting the bolt that holds the balancer, always loctite it and tension to spec.
Please note, you must not bash or hit the harmonic balancer, you may need to use a puller, there are two m6 threads for this purpose in the pulley.
It's good practise to use a new bolt for the harmonic balancer.
While you have it all in bits, check the front crank seal, if it's weeping, do it now.
If you need to remove the belt drive gear, ASK here first, as they are very expensive.
Re-fit all the plastics, radiator, fan etc and you should be good ta go.
Now I have probably missed a few things and I'm sure someone on here will fill in any gaps, feel free to pm me with any questions.
Rod.

OziPos
8th March 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. Don't see it being too difficult - just thought I'd join in and share the knowledge. Having said that I reckon it'll take a while. Thanks for the advice.

Paul

the ferret
8th March 2011, 10:54 PM
here ya go mate.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/2_8Timing.jpg

Finly Owner
8th March 2011, 11:23 PM
Good on ya Rod

Dhuck
9th March 2011, 12:02 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

damianovdd
9th March 2011, 03:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, OziPos.

cnw351
9th March 2011, 03:40 AM
Welcome. They are a great bunch here, always will to help.

Maxhead
9th March 2011, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the forum Paul

Bob
9th March 2011, 06:30 AM
Welcome Paul. As demonstrated already the members are always willing to help out. Enjoy

Bigrig
9th March 2011, 07:24 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on the forum mate, so don't be shy and join in whenever you like to make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Good luck with the timing belt - next time only offer to change a tyre, it's easier!! LOL

OziPos
9th March 2011, 10:01 AM
Thanks Rod - especially the injector pump wedging tip.

growler2058
9th March 2011, 05:50 PM
Gday mate good mob here have fun with that litl job

big_fletch
9th March 2011, 07:44 PM
welcome to the forum mate

fletcha

Clunk
9th March 2011, 08:23 PM
g'day mate, welcome to the forum.

MS29431
10th March 2011, 12:38 AM
Welcome aboard Ozipos
these guys have a heap of helpfull stuff on almost anything you want to know
i've got an older rig and the forum members have helped me out heaps on various issues
I'm sure you will be swamped with info on any topic these guy's and gal's have heaps of tips and info on almost everything

whippet
10th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Easy job to do the hardest is leaning over the bull bar.... Or am i getting old

the ferret
10th March 2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, and as mentioned before, DONT lean on the plastic radiator top, it will break and you will be up for a further $400.!!!!
Speaking from experience here!!:furious:

patch697
3rd May 2011, 07:32 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul

my third 256
4th May 2011, 12:41 AM
sorry super no longer availible has been changed to premium unleaded
realy shows how long you have been away
good to have you back paul
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers