PDA

View Full Version : Holy Butt Hurt Nissan!

CPOCSM
31st December 2014, 08:26 PM
Well picked up the dayco viscous hub from repco and cost me a total of $145! 12 month warranty and looks the ducks guts. Popped out to the 4wd wreckers in the faint hope they had a fan as well. Found they had every conceivable fan in stock(all new!)for any patrol fuel type. My original fan was cactus as was the hub...original one since new by the looks of them as both marked nissan and the fan blades were crumbling.

Hub...$145 (nissan genuine $705 + $110 freight costs from Charleville!)
Fan...$88(nissan genuine $345!!!!)
Thermostat...$34(Nissan genuine $95!!!!)

Grand total...$267(nissan...$1255!!!)

Again I cannot see the price difference as I have used dayco in the ford and never had a failure. Must have mysterious powers and fairy dust in the packaging. Nissan would not guarantee the parts as I was installing them myself...lost my business I am afraid. I did get some grille clips from them at $2 a throw and needed 10 of them...at least the grille will be secured by genuine nissan replacement parts...lol

This is a post from another forum regarding the failure of my viscous hub and the fan just crumbling in my hands when I removed it. Huge thanks to all here who wrote up posts on the hub replacement and all the foibles the fan and hub differences that are so Nissan! A big thanks to South West 4wd wreckers here in toowoomba...not only did they have the fans, they allowed me to match my brand new dayco hub to the plethora of fans they had new hanging from the ceiling of their workshop. True gents and lifesavers. Just need new hub studs as two of the four were stretched so a blister pack from supercrap tomorrow will see me right!

MudRunnerTD
31st December 2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah but the Nissan stuff is dipped in GOLD mate! :p

Stropp
31st December 2014, 08:51 PM
I thought the Nissan parts had mystical samurai powers and that's why they are so expensive.

threedogs
31st December 2014, 09:32 PM
Will be interested to see how the thermostat goes, most here say use OE

CPOCSM
31st December 2014, 09:52 PM
Will be interested to see how the thermostat goes, most here say use OE

Thermostat is a tridon super flow item for the TB42E and has a 84 degree temp opening temp. Has no little dingly plastic balloon rattly thingy on it but I drilled a 3mm hole in the surround to allow the water to bypass the thermostat before it opens. Have done this with any thermostat I have ever installed and allows the water to circulate throughout the entire cooling system, eliminating the hotspots on the back of the block waiting for the thermostat to open. Minis were notorious for killing number four piston without this mod done to it and never had an issue with a thermostat not opening properly. The one I removed from the patrol was a cheap and nasty thing from God knows where but I did test it and still opened at its 89deg threshold. The hub is very firm and loads of resistance on it when turned by hand. I did put a dog of solder on the bimetallic spring where it locks into the assembly...just to make sure. The old ones spring was completely expanded to its maximum capacity and, for want of a better word, completely spring bound in its mounting place...totally ffffarked!

threedogs
31st December 2014, 09:57 PM
isn't there a bleed screw on the rear of the block??

P4trol
1st January 2015, 09:08 AM
Well I bought an aftermarket thermostat, then thought better of it and bought one from Nissan.

And the Nissan one was heaps beefier. I put it in without question.

Agronaught
1st January 2015, 09:12 AM
And here I thought this thread would be about the standard seating in the patrols :/

At 230,00km I'm considering new seats for the patrol... the old tailbone doesn't like the drivers seat anymore :(

CPOCSM
1st January 2015, 10:37 AM
Same butt hurt agronaught except nissan inserts their hand into your bank account via your anus!