PDA

View Full Version : GU intercooler fan

Remdogg
31st December 2014, 09:00 AM
I've heard that the early gu had a fan on the intercooler. I was wondering if there is somewhere in the loom to get power for the relay that is switched with the ignition on later gu's. Mines a 2011. Or where would other people suggest to get the power from. I don't want a switch I just want it to turn on with the car.

Sir Roofy
31st December 2014, 09:30 AM
i've heard that the early gu had a fan on the intercooler. I was wondering if there is somewhere in the loom to get power for the relay that is switched with the ignition on later gu's. Mines a 2011. Or where would other people suggest to get the power from. I don't want a switch i just want it to turn on with the car.

just tap into the ignition switch understeering wheel
or pm yendor

jff45
31st December 2014, 10:16 AM
If you want to keep it all in the engine bay, you could switch a relay using the windscreen wiper motor ignition feed.
No need to pass anything through the firewall..

megatexture
31st December 2014, 10:44 AM
I got mine off the wipers and put in a switch

the evil twin
31st December 2014, 12:55 PM
I've heard that the early gu had a fan on the intercooler. I was wondering if there is somewhere in the loom to get power for the relay that is switched with the ignition on later gu's. Mines a 2011. Or where would other people suggest to get the power from. I don't want a switch I just want it to turn on with the car.

You heard wrong.

Be aware that a fan on a stock setup will do bugger all above about 40 to 50 KPH and actually starts to restrict flow at highway cruise due to the fan motor becoming an obstruction.

If you do fit one I recommend installing it as a puller under the I/C.
A 9 inch slim line fits perfectly and I had one on my CRD when I used to do a lot of low speed 'wheeling
It will mount nicely using the fins on the side of the 'cooler frame

I would not advocate mounting it using the bolts "thru the core" method

If you mount it as a pusher then a screen in the scoop so it doesn't swallow small stones then jam them between the blades and core and damage the intercooler is a good idea.

Easy source of ign switched power is as prev posted by others - the wiper motor