PDA

View Full Version : Optima as aux

megatexture
30th December 2014, 10:03 PM
I'm up for a new aux in my GU and the old ones going on the ute.

I'm looking at an optima d31a but I'm worried about the extra weight on the wheel arch but the extra AH would be nice, who's running Agm or gel batts under the bonnet? And how longs it lasted?

I have a feeling the first link will be cheaper as the last batt from all purpose batteries was around 40$ postage

http://www.optima-batteries.com.au/optima-yellow-top-d31a.html

http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=416

Or should I go a lighter/cheeper lower AH one in the range like the http://www.optima-batteries.com.au/optima-yellow-top-d3478.html

Any one know where to get the optima range cheeper?

MudRunnerTD
30th December 2014, 10:12 PM
I have a pair of them under the bonnet of the GUIV. the D31A is a great battery and not any heavier than anything else you might put under there.

I bought mine from Rays Outdoors when they had a 25% off sale. LOL worked well. made them CHEAP!! I have had them under the bonnet for at least 3 years??? maybe a little longer. I have had the 40LT engel running permanently in the back for 18 months. I have been very very happy with them.

MudRunnerTD
30th December 2014, 10:14 PM
i understand though you really should have a matching pair of batteries under the bonnet for optimum charging and battery life.

the evil twin
30th December 2014, 10:17 PM
Hiya MT,

Some AGM's are spec'd for higher temps like under the bonnet and some aren't.
Having said that no Lead Acid battery likes really high temps such as sitting next to a Turbo

Personally I reckon if a battery is for use as a house battery IE totally for car fridges, camping etc etc then a nice spot somewhere down the back is best.
Totally agree that doesn't suit everyone tho

megatexture
30th December 2014, 10:23 PM
I have a pair of them under the bonnet of the GUIV. the D31A is a great battery and not any heavier than anything else you might put under there.

I bought mine from Rays Outdoors when they had a 25% off sale. LOL worked well. made them CHEAP!! I have had them under the bonnet for at least 3 years??? maybe a little longer. I have had the 40LT engel running permanently in the back for 18 months. I have been very very happy with them.

Thanks, can you remember what the price was with 25% off? All the local shops here want over 400$ for the smaller 55AH battery! And battery world would have been close to $600 for the 75AH d31a

i understand though you really should have a matching pair of batteries under the bonnet for optimum charging and battery life.

Yea I keep hearing this also but can't say I've ever had the same or had any issues as a result

MudRunnerTD
31st December 2014, 12:46 AM
Yeah they were under $300 each for the 75amp batteries.

georges80
31st December 2014, 04:09 AM
Optima batteries have a BAD reputation here in the US. I had very poor life out of 2 red top optima batteries and will NEVER buy them again. Here in the US, they are relatively cheap, typical red top is around US$150. Both red tops died within 2-3 years (just past warranty...) which makes them no better than an wet SLA for 2x or more the cost. This is in normal use, no extreme heats, no extreme vibration issues etc. The replacement SLA battery has been running fine for 2 years and I'll bet it happily lasts another 2-3 years.

Optima batteries were good years ago, unfortunately they moved manufacturing (supposedly to Mexico) and initiated cost cutting.

If you search US 4wd forums you'll find plenty of negative comments and reports of short battery life and overnight failures (works one day, dead the next). Odyssey AGM batteries are 'the' battery of choice for many in the US 4wd scene and are sold under another label or two, an expensive battery though.

Anyhow, knowing how much we get ripped off for things in oz (especially battery prices), I would not recommend wasting any extra $$ on an optima.

cheers,
george.

threedogs
31st December 2014, 08:51 AM
A Mega I run a Trojan 115 wet cell for for my aux , great bang for your buck, keep the water up to them and you'll get 4 yrs easy.
These are the same batteries they use one the Bouys out in Port Phillip Bay, I put a wet kit on mine for an extra $70
makes topping up the battery very easy. I've had no under bonnet issues at all.
Those Odessy batteries were all the rage 15 years ago but I think they priced themselves out of the market.
Highly recommend the Trojan and very affordable as well IMO

sooty_10
31st December 2014, 08:55 AM
I've got 2 Optima yellow tops under my bonnet. One is a smaller D34 and is about 6 years old. It is my starter battery now but used to be the aux battery next to the turbo for about 3 years. Still works perfect. I only just recently bought a D31? the large 75a/h to use as the aux and it actually came with a little sticker on top of it which says "Made in Mexico." It is next to the turbo and holding up quite well so far, it has only been about 6 months though so time will tell. I got mine through a mate who has a friend which is apparently an optima rep so got it pretty close to cost price.

I've go nothing negative to say about Optimas as they have only been brilliant for me especially compared to exide N70's (lead/acid) which both died quite quickly under the bonnet.

megatexture
31st December 2014, 10:38 AM
Optima batteries have a BAD reputation here in the US. I had very poor life out of 2 red top optima batteries and will NEVER buy them again. Here in the US, they are relatively cheap, typical red top is around US$150. Both red tops died within 2-3 years (just past warranty...) which makes them no better than an wet SLA for 2x or more the cost. This is in normal use, no extreme heats, no extreme vibration issues etc. The replacement SLA battery has been running fine for 2 years and I'll bet it happily lasts another 2-3 years.

Optima batteries were good years ago, unfortunately they moved manufacturing (supposedly to Mexico) and initiated cost cutting.

If you search US 4wd forums you'll find plenty of negative comments and reports of short battery life and overnight failures (works one day, dead the next). Odyssey AGM batteries are 'the' battery of choice for many in the US 4wd scene and are sold under another label or two, an expensive battery though.

Anyhow, knowing how much we get ripped off for things in oz (especially battery prices), I would not recommend wasting any extra $$ on an optima.

george.

cheers George , I've seen the odyssey batteries and they do sound good but as threedogs said they have majorly out priced themselves so that not an option due to that .when you say an overnight failure is that having it for 2-3 yrs and one night bam.. It's dropped a cell? Or I just put it in and now its dead?

I've only ever used calcium deep cycle batteries as I can't be bothered having to look at fluid levels. The faster charge rate of the optima also appeals over my previous batteries.

threedogs
31st December 2014, 10:53 AM
Cuppa may be your man here he uses Full river batteries but
not sure how they would go under your bonnet though

the evil twin
31st December 2014, 12:42 PM
Cuppa may be your man here he uses Full river batteries but
not sure how they would go under your bonnet though

I also use Full River amongst others depending on application and rate them as probably the best of the Chinese batteries by a long way.

As prev posted some Full River Deep Cycle AGM's are spec'd for high temp environments and some aren't.
If you put one of the lower temp specification units under the bonnet it will last 6 to maybe 12 months if your lucky.

No matter what brand you need to check the operating specs published by the manuf.

I have 2 Full River 120 AH in a camper that are approaching 6 years and still have excellent capacity.
The same battery under the bonnet of a Patrol dies in a year or so

MudRunnerTD
31st December 2014, 02:05 PM
I have had 2 full rivers under the bonnet of the GQ for a long time. I have now pulled them out and have used them as my bank for the 24v setup in the back. Been quite pleased with them.

TimE
31st December 2014, 02:20 PM
Yep, I have a 100ah Fullriver AGM under the bonnet, been there coming on 7 years and still going strong (has seen plenty of "hard" tracks in that time). I also run a 105 ah Fullriver AGM in the back for the second fridge and HF radio, 2 years on and still going strong. So I'm happy with Fullriver AGMs. My starter is a "no name" 760cca that has been going strong for 5 years.

I might add that I put the batteries on the CTEK 7000 charger at least once per month to "top up" the charge. I also run the charger overnight before each trip away to ensure all batteries are fully charged before we head off.

georges80
31st December 2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah, Odyssey are likely stupid expensive in oz. Here (in the US) you can get a decent sized 4wd sized one for around $200 or less (on sale).

The optima failures were a dead cell overnight in my 80 series. I have dual batteries of course, but a real piss-off to lose 2 of them after only 3 years or less. Some folk have good luck with the optima bats but the problem is that TOO MANY folk are having reliability issues for what purports to be a top notch product with a top notch price.

I've gone back to wet SLA, for 1/2 to 1/3 the price they last at least as long. I had an interstate that I replaced in my heep (here in the US) that was NINE years old and still going strong - just felt I was pushing my luck with winter coming and it would have turned 10 years old...

cheers,
george.

Rock Trol
17th January 2015, 10:01 PM
I have read about the Optima's in the US as well. I am running another US brand as my auxiliary battery under the bonnet. It is a Deka Intimidator which seems to get good reviews in the US. It is rated for under bonnet installation and is a hybrid type. rated at 95 amp hours. It's only been there for 2 years so cannot say how long it will last next to the turbo. I also installed a Redarc 1220 dc:dc charger to give it the best chance of survival and a long life. Battery world sell them for $350 so not dirt cheap.

Was it worth it? Depends on how long this battery lasts. With the cost of the battery and Redarc this unit needs to last a long time, and even then I might not break even. I could have replaced with a $200 Century marine battery at the time and changed it every 3 years and would still be cost effective..

Gary Vansleve
18th January 2015, 03:08 PM
Some interesting comments made. I have both the yellow top and blue top big crankers in a 40 series cruiser both have 2006 date on them and they have been shown no mercy since 2010 when i took over ownership.They are still goin strong.

Were the gun battery in the day but like previously posted they went off .the boil so to speak when outsourced to Mexico I have read some where that production has since moved back to the good ole US of A.

I will be gettin either the yellow or blue top as a cranker in the near future I can only go on my experiences with them for better or worse.

For my 10 cents worth I say go the D31A or D31M.

megatexture
18th January 2015, 03:40 PM
Cheers, I'm still considering these ATM just to try them out. The new optima I've seen in the shops have made in Mexico printed on them.

threedogs
18th January 2015, 04:15 PM
If you have concerns about the weight and I believe what others say in its much the same as other batteries.
Check the way your tray is mounted, some I've seen are mounted using self drilling screws which makes me cry.
Get some decent penny washers [mudguard] some stainless bolts with a nyloc nut, you could even cut
small rubber gaskets to separate them from your inner guard or small nylon discs,
Just make sure you have plenty of meat around the hole even if you need to fashion a gusset plate or something