PDA

View Full Version : Aircon compressor or belt problem

Kano
29th December 2014, 11:03 PM
Hi, I wasn't sure which category to put this under but hopefully someone might be able to help me.

I have a 1999 GU 2.8L TD Patrol.

Every now and then I hear a screech coming from the front left of the patrol when the aircon is on.
I thought it might be a belt. I had a look at them and they seemed ok, maybe a little loose but the teeth are ok.
Underneath the aircon compressor and engine looks wet/oily. Photos attached.

The patrol is taking longer to start in the mornings now to.

I'm still learning so I'm sorry if I haven't described it to well. I have added two photos to help.
I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction into fixing this.

Thanks

happygu
30th December 2014, 08:51 AM
How loose is the belt ...... a V-Belt should be kept fairly well tensioned. A screech on start up could mean that the belt is slipping against one of the pulleys when the ac compressor turns on, and puts some resistance on the belt

Kano
30th December 2014, 09:34 AM
Hi happygu. The screech only happens every now and then when driving. When I push down on the belts they do move abit so maybe they are to loose. I'll tighten the belts today and see if that was the problem.

GQ TANK
3rd January 2015, 05:12 PM
could also be an issue with the idler pully (tensioning)

threedogs
3rd January 2015, 06:56 PM
I'd be tightening your belts as per the manual, or even take it off and spin the tensioner pulley.
It would be one or the other IMO