PDA

View Full Version : Rear barn door window protection for GU Patrol

micknor51
26th December 2014, 10:57 AM
Hi folks,
In 2012 we did a trip up to the Kimberley towing our Pioneer off road camper trailer. I noticed a few other 4WD towers with either cardboard or plastic on the rear windows and a couple with tape after a smashed rear window. This should have rung alarm bells but it did not because the Pioneer has a stone deflection barrier angled forwards to deflect stones downwards that I thought would suffice. This was not the case because on our last 100km of gravel from Sturt Highway to Kings Canyon 20km along I heard a ping and looked in the mirror to see that the small barn door window was shattered, 15 mins of taping it up got us back to Newcastle OK.
Repair cost for window $860 with $600 excess it was an expensive lesson.
I now cover the windows with 2mm thick polycarbonate sheeting and seal the edges with gaffer tape to keep out the dust.
Use this link not the one below
For a good explanation of the setup and application go
to 'campertrailers.org technical pages'
There is also a link to the Laser cutting files for each window.
The polycarbonate cost about $80 cut to size and the 3M Dual Lock (better than Velcro) $20 for 2 sets. A much cheaper option than the shattered window.
My thanks go to Malcolm Robins who posted this on camper trailer.org in 2008.
I hope this is of some use to others.
Michael

4bye4
26th December 2014, 11:05 AM
Not having much luck with that link Michael, but good info. Thank you.
Tony

micknor51
26th December 2014, 11:15 AM
Hi Tony,
Sorry about that, Try going to <campertrailers.org technical pages> then once in go to <tech tips>, then scroll down to <STONE GUARDS> where hopefully you will find the GU Patrol info under 'stone guard ideas'.
Good luck
Michael

megatexture
26th December 2014, 04:38 PM
I've done my rear window once before also but only cost 380$ to replace. Personally I think the best protection is to stop the rocks with some extra large mudflaps like "rock tamers" as it's not just the window we have a few paint chips/ dents from them also

I think this is the link Micks referring to
http://campertrailers.org/stone_guards.htm

micknor51
26th December 2014, 06:29 PM
I've done my rear window once before also but only cost 380$ to replace. Personally I think the best protection is to stop the rocks with some extra large mudflaps like "rock tamers" as it's not just the window we have a few paint chips/ dents from them also

I think this is the link Micks referring to
http://campertrailers.org/stone_guards.htm

This is the one you need if interested in protection plus the other ideas for stone guards mentioned in the link. My thanks to megatexture for this info.
I wish I had found your repairer at only $380 or was this for the part unfitted?
Michael

megatexture
26th December 2014, 06:43 PM
That was fitted by racq in brisbane and it was the small barn door also not the large

P4trol
26th December 2014, 09:19 PM
Speaking of rear bar door windows protection, I tried to make a plexiglass Velcro on addition to stick to the existing back windows (GU). It failed due to the curve in the windows, which was hard to put into the plexiglass. I tried hot water and a heat gun. I cut the pieces in half, to reduce the amount needed to curve across the windows. The Velcro was pretty sticky and worked for a couple of thousand km of corrugations. Eventually the glue on the back of the Velcro succumbed to the heat and humidity,and I chucked the plexiglass away.

Best temporary solution I've seen is to tape a neatly cut foam sleeping mat over the windows.

micknor51
27th December 2014, 07:12 AM
You got a good deal there. I made the mistake of getting it done at the Nissan dealership in Newcastle where the vehicle is serviced. Mine was the small one also. The spare wheel offers some protection to the large window.
Cheers, Michael

micknor51
27th December 2014, 07:29 AM
Hi P4trol,
If it is done as in the link to the camper trailers.org post using 2mm thick polycarbonate and 3M dual lock at the corners, with a piece of loop Velcro (fluffy side) at the centre of each window to stop the rubbing of poly on glass it works very well. The 3M Dual Lock can be purchased from Whitworths Marine for $10 a pack, you need two.
As I mentioned in my first post on this matter I tape around the edges with Gaffa tape to keep out the dust etc.
Michael

P4trol
27th December 2014, 10:02 AM
Maybe mine was a bit thick. The stuff I has was at least 6mm thick. I'll measure it later.

The other thing I did was to mount the velcro down the sides of the window, with a piece in the middle top, middle middle, and middle bottom. I never thought I could keep the dust out, so made it so water would wash it straight out.

Also I made sure it was over the window size, so rocks didn't contact the black part of the window.

micknor51
27th December 2014, 04:18 PM
If you go to the website via the link given by Megatexture
http://campingtrailers.org/stone_guardS.htm
Find the post by Malcolm Robins then use his method including downloading the computer laser cutting files for the 2mm it should work a treat. Pictures are also on his post.
Good luck
Michael

Bigcol
7th January 2015, 08:22 PM
what I want is one of these..........

http://www.stonestomper.com.au/

and their after sales is fantastic I have been told....

too scared to ask the cost.......... but I will have to one day

just seen the cost on the web site.. DOH

cheers

Rock Trol
7th January 2015, 08:27 PM
Stonestompers are around $550 bucks from memory. I enquired about them a couple of years ago. A friend has one on his expanda and raves about it. I think it copped some damage on the Gibb River Rd but it was repaired for free when he got back to Adelaide.

Dr Gary
7th January 2015, 09:24 PM
I found a polycarbonate rear window protector.
After a search, I found www.plasweld.com.au. They make custom a cut set for the GU (and others) that attach with suction cups. Seems to hold ok so if you haul a trailer, it may be worth the $190 for peace of mind.
I have no interest in this outfit, other than as a customer.

TimE
8th January 2015, 10:15 AM
I found a polycarbonate rear window protector.
After a search, I found www.plasweld.com.au. They make custom a cut set for the GU (and others) that attach with suction cups. Seems to hold ok so if you haul a trailer, it may be worth the $190 for peace of mind.
I have no interest in this outfit, other than as a customer.

Yep, just ordered one, $190 plus $33 freight to Canberra. They are doing a "run" of new ones next week, so should be here in a couple of weeks.

The other "redneck" solution I have seen is Corflute cut to shape and duct taped in place. A bit cheap and nasty but would do the job I guess.

threedogs
8th January 2015, 10:42 AM
If you're packed to the hilt and cant see out the back anyway, I cant see any problem using core flute.
I'll get a price from my laser cutter as $190 plus sound very $$$ to me, leave it with me
Does the rear wiper just sit on perspex?

There is also a mob that do a full bolt on mudflap arrangement for $300 plus

TimE
8th January 2015, 10:51 AM
If you're packed to the hilt and cant see out the back anyway, I cant see any problem using core flute.

I'll get a price from my laser cutter as $190 plus sound very $$$ to me, leave it with me
Does the rear wiper just sit on perspex?

TD, not too worried about their price, seems reasonable given R&D etc,. Obies (http://www.obiesoutback.com.au/)wanted $295 for their similar solution a couple of years ago.

I'm never packed to high when towing the camper, I like to see out the back window to get an idea of what the camper is doing. I assume the wiper sits on the outside of the perspex, just don't use it unless you want scratches.

Edit: This pic from their site shows wiper on outside of perspex