PDA

View Full Version : Excuse my ignorance, NADS???

micknor51
26th December 2014, 10:35 AM
This question has probably been asked and answered before however here goes. As a newbie many of these abbreviations/acronyms I do not understand. Is there a list of all this terminology somewhere on the Forum?
What is NADS? Be kind in your replies to an ignoramus.
Michael

BigRAWesty
26th December 2014, 10:44 AM
Welcome mate.
I'm pretty sure some did do a lost of all the abbreviations. The search function is a good one here.

But NADS stands for Nissan anti detonation system.
It's aimed at giving the early 3ltr weezers a chance of survival.

Anyway jump in and enjoy. Heaps of info mate and if you can't find it feel free to ask

micknor51
26th December 2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks Kallen, biggqwesty,
I guess that gives rise to the added question, what makes for a good NADS ie which bitsand pieces are required or is it an off the shelf item from somewhere?
On another tack about GQ Patrols, my 1996 GQ was stolen from my driveway in January 2011probably for parts. Make sure you keep yours safely locked up/protected from those with light fingers.
Regards
Michael

Stropp
26th December 2014, 12:41 PM
Michael go to the search box top right mate type in nads and you will find all the info you need, about a weeks worth of reading if you are so inclined lol.

the evil twin
26th December 2014, 01:29 PM
snip...
What is NADS? Be kind in your replies to an ignoramus.
Michael

NATS -
"Nissan Anti-Theft System" is a factory term for the Patrol Security system and the acronym was pirated to get NADS.

Grenaded -
Slang term that was initially coined when the ZD30 died in a huge cloud of white smoke with absolutely no warning, usually at cruise when the #3 and or #4 pistons failed.
Grenaded is now used pretty much for any major failure of ZD30's such as heads or whatever which gets a tad confusing as the original cause for a grenaded engine was sorted from Series 3 onwards

NADS -
"Nissan Anti-Detonation System"
Slang term coined by the great unwashed for owner modifications after the early Patrol ZD30 engines grenaded as it rhymes with but is unrelated to "NATS" .
NADS pretty much describes extra maintenance on some of the sensors, modifying the EGR and taking boost control away from the ECU using Dawes and Needle valves.
Nissan kept the root cause of the large amount of early failures a bit of a secret but changes to the engine lubrication system and a few other tweaks to castings etc seemed to greatly reduce the number of 3 or 4 piston failures from Series 3 onwards.

There are some curious things that arose from ZD30 'grenade' era.
- NADS modifications bear absolutely no relation to the changes Nissan did to reduce the piston failures.
- There are thousands of early ZD30's still plying the highways with the factory fix of increasing the oil capacity and without NADS mods but certainly the number that did fail was hugely unacceptable.
- The same engine fitted to the Navaras was quite reliable all things considered so maybe the extra weight or some other unique facet of the Patrol tipped the engine over the edge.

micknor51
26th December 2014, 08:20 PM
Thanks Evil Twin,
That is an interesting moniker! Now I know about a bit about NADS. My GU CRD 2008 Patrol has no engine mods and at 98,000 km I wonder if it is necessary to add any. Surely Nissan has fixed the issues that caused the 'grinding' in the DI model, I am an optimist.
Michael

BigRAWesty
26th December 2014, 09:24 PM
Thanks Evil Twin,
That is an interesting moniker! Now I know about a bit about NADS. My GU CRD 2008 Patrol has no engine mods and at 98,000 km I wonder if it is necessary to add any. Surely Nissan has fixed the issues that caused the 'grinding' in the DI model, I am an optimist.
Michael

The fixes seem to have come in with the common rail engines. The direct injections were the most common poppers.
At 98 thou it's not to late. As et said many as still on the highway unaware of any such issues.
The reason why the engine has bad state is people on forums are here due to such issues.
Anyway, we have a vendor here who does bits of the NADS kit. But all of it is off the shelf bits.
As mentioned jump on the search and have fun reading

growler2058
26th December 2014, 10:46 PM
Great post ET, but now for NAtS AND ITS ISSUES :)

Rocketman
31st December 2014, 04:11 PM
I've had a 2011 Y61 3.0CRD since new and the only (engine) mod I have done relevant to this question is a CAV filter for the fuel. While the car was new and under warranty (in fact until their fuel prices got out of hand) I only bought BP fuel as it is "guarranteed clean" and kept all my receipts just in case. Never had a problem with the engine or towing trailers campers and caravans on highway or off road.
That's not to say a V8 diesel wouldn't go astray