PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 ltr motor

coop
25th December 2014, 10:36 AM
G, day all, merry Christmas, one of my son's is looking at buying a patrol and was wondering what the difference between the 2.8 diesel and the 3.0 ltr is , ive got a 3.0 ltr and he's looking at a 2.8,, are they any good ? And do they suffer from the same problems as the 3.0ltr. ? Thanks guy's

happygu
25th December 2014, 11:38 AM
Coop,

I have never owned the 2.8 ... only the 4.2 and 3 litre Diesel...

They do not have the same problems associated with the 3 litre engines, as they are a 6 cylinder motor with different architecture, and a different lineage

Having said that, the 2.8 seems to be a robust little motor, which will get you there and back again fairly reliably, albiet a little on the snail side of fast....

Common problems on the forum seem to be loose harmonic balancers, causing the crankshaft to be damaged if it goes unchecked, cracked heads around the 200,000 klm mark, and wear in the injector pump causing hard starting problems when warm

coop
25th December 2014, 07:32 PM
Thanks for that, I'd say that most 2.8 would be well in excess of 200000 by now so with a bit of luck the one that he is looking at might have had them issues already done , at least he now knows what to look for as well as all the normal stuff. From what he's told me it's a pretty tidy unit with a good maintenance record, cheers Tony.

Paule
25th December 2014, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hi jack your thread! I got a mate (close) that is doing a change over head on his 2.8. He is chasing a glow plug as they only sent 5 back with his new head, long story short does any 1 have a glow plug in s/e Melbourne he can have/buy 2nd hand is fine as it is a quick fix to get his rig back on the road. Cheers folks. Merry Christmas

coop
25th December 2014, 10:50 PM
No sorry I can't help you there paule. :thumbdown: