PDA

View Full Version : Replacing fan clutch - do I really need to replace the water pump?

Patrol'n
24th December 2014, 10:31 PM
Hi all,

So I got my air con re-gassed today. The mechanic tells me that the fan clutch isn't working correctly.

He suggested replacing it before he was comfortable totally filling the refrigerant gas up, and suggested I not only replace my fan clutch, but also fit a thermo fan in front. Now the engine never gets too hot, but he was able to stop the fan clutch while the engine was running with his finger, which I understand suggests it isn't locking up properly. Not sure I want to add a thermo, since it works fine without one, and the engine is totally standard.

I have bought a new fan clutch and am fine with fitting it, however when I opened the box, the instructions tell me I should replace the water pump as well. I don't want to if I don't have to, since I believe on the RB30 it means taking off the timing belt etc, not something I want to do at this time of year, and I can't afford mechanic rates to do it at this time of year either...

With a trip in the near future, I don't want a water pump failure in the middle of nowhere and it isn't noisy either. Does anyone know if I have to do the water pump, or can I just replace the fan clutch at this stage?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks all, and merry Christmas.

4bye4
24th December 2014, 11:18 PM
Mate, if there is no problem with the water pump, the question you have to ask yourself is how long is it going to be before you do have to do the pump. If you are going to take the time and effort to change the fan clutch I would do the water pump at the same time and probably a new set of belts as well. Keep the old stuff for emergencies if needed. Personally if I've got to pull something down I do as much as I can so i don't have to go back.
The other day I did the intercooler and also put new rubber cuffs on and new clamps even though the old ones were OK. Just my theory.

4bye4
24th December 2014, 11:22 PM
Probably worth checking belt tension pulley while you are there going by the number of posts about failed belt tension bearings on this forum.

mudnut
25th December 2014, 02:29 PM
You are right in saying that the timing belt needs to be taken off to replace the water pump on the RB30, which means having to take out the radiator as well.

I changed the timing belt after doing the head, due to the fire rings on two cylinders being split. After replacing the head gasket, I towed a trailer for a couple of hundred ks, and the water pump seal spat the dummy. Doh!!

Knowing what I do now, If it was me, I would just recondition the fan hub, If you are not losing coolant, or not going to remote locations, where a failure could create a life or death situation.

But if the coolant or timing belt is due to be replaced I would change out the water pump at the same time.

Patrolapart does stock the water pumps at a reasonable price.

The tensioner is different to the later models ones which have been failing.

Patrol'n
25th December 2014, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I figured at the moment I'd change the fan hub, did that a little while ago today, which seems to have made a difference to the air con, which is good given I already had the fan hub. I'm going to source the other bits as I find good prices, and sort it in the near future, I'll follow the advice provided and change the pump, timing belt and tensioner, hoses, fan belts etc all at once, then keep the old bits as emergency spares. ATM, we aren't doing super remote stuff, and when we go anywhere decently off road, we go with other cars, so a failure would be annoying, but not the end of the world with a bit of luck. I'll have a look at patrolapart for their pumps too.

Cheers all