PDA

View Full Version : 2012 CRD catch can.

Coldcomfort
24th December 2014, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have one installed? Can anyone recommend which one to get?

Cheers all and a happy Chrissy and new years!

Maxhead
24th December 2014, 08:02 PM
Most install the PROVENT 200. Tried and tested quality product.

Hodge
24th December 2014, 08:03 PM
I have a provent 200 fitted with falcon heater hoses, perfect fit, almost factory like.
Had to fabricate my own bracket to hold it, but in the end worked out fine.

Rocket55
24th December 2014, 10:41 PM
Provent 200, just put one in my 2010 CRD today.

4bye4
24th December 2014, 10:49 PM
Provent 200, that makes it unanimous. I am fitting one in the new year. Have just replaced the intercooler.

P4trol
25th December 2014, 09:28 AM
The heater hose comes in the right size. The only trouble is if you need to route the hose so it bends in a small space. The hose will kink and block the air - not good.

So large diameter bends, and keep an eye on it so it doesn't kink. You can buy something that fits over the hose for tight bends. It looks like a big spring with a thin metal strip welded down one side.

abbotts2002
26th December 2014, 10:42 AM
I personally would be very apprehensive about using a heater hose, as they will break down with oil.
This could cause bigger problems as the rubber breaking down could enter your motor.
I would suggest using a hose that is oil compatible.

Cheers
Mark

Dr Gary
26th December 2014, 12:17 PM
I have a Provent fitted to my 3.0 Di and it has two hose sizes. It came from Western Filters. They NOW know it takes two different size hoses and fittings--just send them a email with your hose size requirements and they will give you the correct stuff for your rig--really helpful there. Heater hoses are NOT meant to carry oil!!!

HappyCamper*
26th December 2014, 12:40 PM
Can anyone give me a quick run down on what a catch can does , It seems quiet a few fit them . Also not sure if I should be fitting one or not as engine is 3.0lt CRITD only done 4200km . Any advise would be great

4bye4
26th December 2014, 01:34 PM
Really simplified, vaporised oil from the motor, which is normal from the heat when the motor is running, is in modern cars fed back into the inlet to be burnt in the combustion process. A catch can is put in the system somewhere between the vapour outlet from the motor and before the inlet system to the motor. This enables the oil vapour to condense in the can and be drained off rather than going back into the system and condensing in hoses. air intakes, intercoolers and manifolds.
Different catch cans work better than others and the most recommended one seems to be the Provent 200. I have heard that some eaby cheapies don't do anything except take up space.
That's a pretty basic description but there is heaps on this forum and the net if you want to google it.

the evil twin
26th December 2014, 01:45 PM
Can anyone give me a quick run down on what a catch can does , It seems quiet a few fit them . Also not sure if I should be fitting one or not as engine is 3.0lt CRITD only done 4200km . Any advise would be great

Totally up to you really.
No modern CRD's of any manuf come with catch cans ex factory to my knowledge.

I would check with the Dealer for warranty issues if your vehicle only has 4200 K's on it.

I bought one for my '07 CRD and never fitted it as the engine never blew by enough oil to warrant it.
Each individual engine will be different but mine had no issues with blow by for the 120,000 K's I had it.

A catch can may help to keep the MAF sensor a bit cleaner as there is less oil mist in the inlet when the pressure surges.
The can won't catch any oil mist from the Turbo anyway so you still need to give the MAF sensor a clean every 20,000 K's or so.

Coldcomfort
26th December 2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the advise guys... Very much appreciated.... How hard is it to clean the MAF sensor? I have seen cans of MAF cleaner on the shelves at repco etc and often wondered if it was a "do it yourself" thing....

4bye4
26th December 2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advise guys... Very much appreciated.... How hard is it to clean the MAF sensor? I have seen cans of MAF cleaner on the shelves at repco etc and often wondered if it was a "do it yourself" thing....

Ill let you know on Monday. You might have to look in the what makes me angry thread. LOL.

Rocket55
26th December 2014, 05:08 PM
It's a very easy DIY job. You just need to use/buy a security Torx tool kit (T20 I think you need) from Superchearp Repco, Bunnings, etc. they cost about $8-10.

HappyCamper*
27th December 2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks heaps 4bye4
Sounds like a must ( it should not even effect the factory warranty of the Troll ) I think I will even put one on the Triton I have as I have already had the manafold replaced in that under warranty last year right at the end of the 5year warrnty . Whos the best bloke to by a Provent 200 of & would the same one fit the Triton ??
Thanks George

4bye4
27th December 2014, 11:47 AM
"Whos the best bloke to by a Provent 200 of & would the same one fit the Triton ??"

Easy one. Northern 4x4 - AKA Mudski.

Tony.

HappyCamper*
27th December 2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks Heaps , I clicked on his link but is away until 3rd of january .
thx George