PDA

View Full Version : Grew up in the backseat of a rb30 GQ, getting back into patrols.

JaeDee884
21st December 2014, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a guy from the Territory who grew up in the Tanami as a teachers son in an RB30 GQ in the 90's. been living in Katherine for years and looking at getting back into exploring the desert trails, not big on water and mud so looking more into getting something good for rock and sand.

I've done light offroading in a TF rodeo, a RA rodeo and various little cars not designed for it ;) but looking at setting up to take the missus (grew up in the back of a landcruiser on qld beaches so needs to be initiated on the inside of Australia) not gonna be a major daily but a regular, got a Rav4 for around town and for when the roads get wet, and for going camping places with sealed roads, but being down the road from kakadu and litchfield, she also wants to see the harder to reach spots and don't want to bugger up the daily.

Currently looking at late model GQ/Early Model GU wagon with a rooftop tent set up, but not gonna be going all out with massive lift and giant oversized tires and crazy offroad capacity, just moderate improvements, if a stock rb could do it in the 90's i'm sure a newer patrol with some offroad improvements can do just as well.

I'm also interested in anything car outside of engine internals. I leave the inside of the engine to someone who knows what they're doing.

Dhuck
21st December 2014, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
21st December 2014, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

growler2058
21st December 2014, 08:45 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard

Stropp
21st December 2014, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

kevin07
21st December 2014, 10:54 PM
gday mate and welcome

Avo
22nd December 2014, 01:01 AM
welcome to the forum mate,spent a year and a bit out in the tanami(hookers creek-Lajamanu?)in the mid 90's...that's one hot place..great forum we have here so take a seat and enjoy

4bye4
22nd December 2014, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

MEGOMONSTER
22nd December 2014, 05:38 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

threedogs
22nd December 2014, 08:47 AM
AHHH Corn Patch gotta love Litchfield Nat. park.

welcome to the forum mate. I luv the part of OZ
miss it greatly, anyway jump in anytime and enjoy

JaeDee884
22nd December 2014, 10:47 AM
welcome to the forum mate,spent a year and a bit out in the tanami(hookers creek-Lajamanu?)in the mid 90's...that's one hot place..great forum we have here so take a seat and enjoy

Thats the place. learnt to swim in the creek near the school in the late 90's. can never forget rocking up to town and the cops offering dad a beer out back of the station while they were all having a piss up. actually missing going out to the jumps, or cruising around the "tip" or even going out to sandy bay. lot of good places out there for a drive. but i deffos ain't missing the heat will be going that way june/july without a doubt. but i think i'll skip the Tanami Road, seeing as rabbit flats shutdown their aint no stops for near 900k and the road is pretty much trucks only i don't think the missus would enjoy 900k of corrugation.

Darren M
22nd December 2014, 08:22 PM
Welcome. Great stories.