PDA

View Full Version : winch on dual battery system

barnelly
21st December 2014, 12:13 PM
Hello there .
My question is, to use the Aux battery or the car battery for my Warn 9000 winch?

MudRunnerTD
21st December 2014, 12:16 PM
Cranker mate. All other accessories to the second battery but winch to the starter. Your alternator will kick in as soon as you start winching.

the evil twin
21st December 2014, 12:30 PM
What MR said X 2

Good rule of thumb with dual batteries where any type of isolator or charger is involved;
-If it is an accessory that is usually operated with the engine running - wire to Cranker
-If it is an accessory that is usually operated with the engine stopped - wire to Aux

For a Winch the following also applies.
-If you have no Isolator or a high current manual solenoid then it doesn't matter a terrible lot.
-If you have VSR battery isolater wiring it Cranker means the Alternator etc stays in circuit because if you wire it to Aux the voltage drop when you run the winch will usually trip the Isolator and take the Cranker and Alternator out of circuit so they no longer load share.
-If you have a DC/DC charger then you definitely want to be on the Cranker

barnelly
21st December 2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks MudRunner.
I think ill post more often.

93patrol
21st December 2014, 05:09 PM
Great explanation guys I have been wondering for a bit how dual systems work with a single alternator

Hodge
21st December 2014, 05:18 PM
As others have said, winch always on cranker. Cranker battery is a sprinter and aux a long distance runner. Sprinter = more burst current which the winch needs.

barnelly
22nd December 2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys
It's a simple one but if you don' ask no one will tell.
Last week I also noticed discharge from near the TURBO had it checked and told pull it all out and clean! So far so good?