PDA

View Full Version : EGT sensors

4bye4
18th December 2014, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know if these are an optiopn, so you don't have to remove and drill hole in the exhaust pipe.
http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-probes/all-egt-probes/exhaust-manifold-or-pipe-surface-temperature-probe

the evil twin
18th December 2014, 07:56 PM
Nah mate... I wouldn't put one on a Patrol.

The time it takes for the heatsoak on the dump pipe or manifold to react to the actual exhaust gas temp fluctations means they lag too much to be very useful in my opinion
They are OK on stationary engines that have reasonably constant loads like gensets etc. racing engines that are essentially at max load or zip and they are also good for engine watchdog use.

There is another version of EGT sensor that uses a pipe clamp and a small hole in the dump pipe and the thermocouple itself is a small pimple that fits in the hole.
These don't have as much lag but they aren't all that flash either as to get a decent sample of the EGT you need to be away from the wall and in the full flow of the gas stream.

Stropp
19th December 2014, 10:05 AM
good point ET, when i first saw that i though good idea, but as you say it will not give instant change to egt's

sooty_10
19th December 2014, 04:05 PM
Also most aftermarket exhausts systems should come with a bung already in the dump pipe, if not I'd be shopping elsewhere.

Stropp
19th December 2014, 04:35 PM
Also most aftermarket exhausts systems should come with a bung already in the dump pipe, if not I'd be shopping elsewhere.

mine didnt have one but just drilled and tapped it no problem.

Remdogg
5th January 2015, 05:56 PM
Auto meter do one that you drill a hole in the exhaust and it holds the probe in with a hose clamp and sealed by ceramic washer.