PDA

View Full Version : Air con Belt issue

Zebinc
17th December 2014, 07:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Got the air con working well in my GQ.
My problem is the Belt keeps coming loose after a day or 2 of driving & i can't work out why?
I have been through 2 belts.

It's kind of like it's stretching the belt.
The nut is still tight, i'm guessing the bolt is unwinding or rattling out.

How do i fix this, does it need a locknut or something on the bottom of the bolt after the adjusting nut/pulley?

Any help would be great

Cheer
Rob

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 07:48 PM
What engine mate, there is a couple of different adjuster setups. I have seen different setups on the same motor too! Got any pics of th adjuster

Zebinc
17th December 2014, 08:58 PM
What engine mate, there is a couple of different adjuster setups. I have seen different setups on the same motor too! Got any pics of th adjuster
Hi,

Sorry Gq 4.2 Deisel
looks the same as this one diagram for the deisel
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/noisy-air-con-bearing-58800/
Cheers

Bloodyaussie
17th December 2014, 09:03 PM
The most common setup is the idler bearing and has an adjusting thread but you must loosen the nut that keeps bearing in place.
You then make the adjustment with the adjusting thread then tighten the nut.

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 09:07 PM
Hi,

Sorry Gq 4.2 Deisel
looks the same as this one diagram for the deisel
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/noisy-air-con-bearing-58800/
Cheers

Hahaha, my name is all over that thread ;). Yes so are you just tightening the adjuster bolt heading a north South or also tightening the bolt going through the bearing? The bearing nut is the clamp, if you are not tightening that your letting it undo itself.

Zebinc
17th December 2014, 09:12 PM
Hahaha, my name is all over that thread ;). Yes so are you just tightening the adjuster bolt heading a north South or also tightening the bolt going through the bearing? The bearing nut is the clamp, if you are not tightening that your letting it undo itself.

Yep, tightening the nut also.
I undo the nut, then tension by tightening the bolt to get the belt tight, then lock up the nut.
Today the belt was loose again, after putting a new belt on last weekend. the nut was still tight??

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 09:43 PM
That is Odd mate. I'd nearly remove th whole adjuster which should be easy enough and see if there is anything obviously wrong. There really is nothing else that cold be causing it. I can't imagine the belt stretching like that? Your not over tightening the belt are you? That could stretch it.

Zebinc
17th December 2014, 09:47 PM
i don't think so, the air con guy when he gassed the system, said it needs to be pretty tight.
so not to sure, will see how it goes tomorrow.

thanks for your help

MudRunnerTD
17th December 2014, 10:40 PM
i don't think so, the air con guy when he gassed the system, said it needs to be pretty tight.
so not to sure, will see how it goes tomorrow.

thanks for your help

Here are a couple of screen shots for you mate that shows where you measure the belt deflection and how much you should have.

Zebinc
18th December 2014, 11:59 AM
Here are a couple of screen shots for you mate that shows where you measure the belt deflection and how much you should have.

Thanks, so maybe i'm over tightening it.
Even if it is stretching it, would it then become too loose, that it slips & starts squelling?